Possible RTT custom build.....

CJJ92yj

There are other factors than just buying something and making it work, at least for me. Space at my house is at a premium. I don't really have the room for more trailers. Plus the desire to have a custom sized RTT rather than try to live with what is currently available. Ideally though, I like the idea of having a single trailer that is capable of many different things. If I build it like I want, I can easily haul building supplies one morning, tow a 4-wheeler up the trail in the afternoon, and come back and load up for a camping trip that evening, all with a single trailer.

One thing to note is my strange desire to fabricate. I think that's what is really drawing me to such a project. It may not happen for a year or two realistically. This thread was just a place to gather ideas for when I do get around to doing it.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
For the trailer that you build, just have your mounts for the RTT bolt on and off.. Something similar to what Kurt uses in the bed of his truck to mount his RTT.

That way you could put it on when you need it, and take it off when you need to.

Ford Prefect

CJJ92yj I can completely get behind you on that one. I was actually tempted to go and buy that tent camper I linked myself. Would be pretty cool, but the wife feels like we have enough of that stuff too. I can also understand the desire to create. I am building a trailer right now for myself to use for general storage, but I also plan to use it for an off-road trailer as well. I have even pondered making a rack that I could mount an RTT to (if I ever can find one to buy) the trailer with. Who knows, it may happen yet.

Good luck on the ideas!

Ford Prefect

Found it!

Ford Perfect...

23052009738.jpg

I have been searching for this tent since this was posted, and I FINALLY found it!

It is made by Eeziawn, and it is called a "Family rooftop tent"

When it comes right down to it, considering the prices of other RTT's, it really is a pretty good price.

About $2375.oo

Anyhow, very cool. Once again, I have found something else that I may have to save up for "someday" I am pretty sure it would fill the entire roof of my WJ but it sure would be nice to have.

You can see it here http://www.eeziawn.co.za/family.html

and you can buy it here
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=15

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
My $.02 worth

I too have done alot of homework/napkin drawings/head scraching & acctually started this very project!:eek:

II started with an old drop center hotrod axel that happened to be 5 on 4 1/2bolt pattern, flipped it, welded new perches on, & with 35's I get 20" under the center of the axel & 28" to frame:)

I also think 4'X6' is the optimal size for a tow behind. I am going with a single flip design with angled poles back to the frame (set up is allways the same) & jacks on each corner.

Due to cost issues I plan to use my existimg 6'X7' spring bar style dome tent, it is easy to setup & take down & cheap to replace or repair;)

I'm still working on the trailer at the moment, but some of the design features are, fresh water tank w/pump,12 v fridge, battery box, porta-pot, 12 v lighting & maybe some other stuff! We'll see!:greg:

There some good ideas in here, good luck, & keep the faith!

CJJ92yj

Due to cost issues I plan to use my existimg 6'X7' spring bar style dome tent, it is easy to setup & take down & cheap to replace or repair;)

I can fully respect that. If I could get away with 6'x7', I'd probably do the same thing.

Ironically, we've really been thinking of scrapping the RTT altogether and just getting a 10'x10' Kodiak tent. I really like them. Plus with a roof rack we "may" be able to not need a trailer at all on short camping trips. With my wife and 2 kids, we tend to bring a lot of stuff. We're really re-evaluating all our camping equipment and if we really need it, can replace it with something smaller/lighter, or just plain bag it.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Ironically, we've really been thinking of scrapping the RTT altogether and just getting a 10'x10' Kodiak tent. I really like them. Plus with a roof rack we "may" be able to not need a trailer at all on short camping trips. With my wife and 2 kids, we tend to bring a lot of stuff. We're really re-evaluating all our camping equipment and if we really need it, can replace it with something smaller/lighter, or just plain bag it.

Light weight & quantity of gear is allways a big factor, especially when carrying it on the roof (COG & all)! RTT's are great for expedition type trips where wheeling is about getting from one camp to the next & not too extreem.

IMHO a well designed trailer would serve well in that role plus the added benifits of serving as a base camp where you can run day trips out & back without breaking down your sleeping accomidations!:-\

If it's just me & the dog, I can get everything I need for a 4 day trip easilly in the Jeep, but if I want to drag the old bag o guts allong the required equipment list grows exponentially, which leaves me few options (motel or RV park) which doesn't lend itself to peace & quiet like getting 20 mi. off the beaten path does:cool:! BTW: She refuses to sleep on the ground, even on an air mattres (creepy crawlly bugs and stuff):ugh:

There are alot of options out there, I'm sure you will figure out what works best, I'm hoping the trailer idea works, if not then I'll be spending alot of time with the dog:D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I can fully respect that. If I could get away with 6'x7', I'd probably do the same thing.

I can hook you up on a kodiak 10'x10' tent. Send me a pm if you decide you want one.