Central Utah post-surgery July 5th run of Hanging Tree Trail or the Pinnacle Trail

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I go in for surgery sometime tomorrow morning. From what the surgeon tells me, I'll be at home recovering for 2-5 days afterward... and I should be back in tip top shape a short time after that. So I invite you all to help me celebrate my recovery from surgery by going wheeling! :D

I was thinking of going on July 4th, but we will be open at work so that's out. Bummer. Okay, what about the very next day? If I'm lucky, our Season Of Portland will be over by then and the weather will finally be dry. Anybody up for a nice Sunday of wheeling?

I am torn. I want to run the Hanging Tree Trail again, and I have a couple friends who have never seen it but want to come along in their Jeeps as well. Of course, I would need a local who could lead us out the top... so whether or not this is a solid option depends on who else can make the trip.

On the other hand, I have recently discovered the Pinnacle Trail and am very excited by the prospect of running it, too. I've never seen that trail, so I don't know how it compares to Hanging Tree. Would it take more or less time than HTT? Is it more difficult, easier, or about the same? Having someone along who is familiar with the trail would be a major plus, but I guess in this age of Google Maps a group of us could probably blindly stumble through it.

So, is anybody in? If so, which trail would you like to run? The floor is open for discussion.

Pile of parts

Hope surgery went well and that recovery is speedy. I am interested. Ran Hanging Tree with you a couple of years ago (and Hell's Revenge at Safari) and would love to go back. I don't know anything about Pinnacle trail but am open to that idea as well. I'm just not sure about 4th of July weekend plans. I'll let you know what I find out.

AaronPaige

I'll be able to tell you more about the pinnacle trail later this weekend but with the floods last fall the last quarter of the trail was impassable for less than 44 ish tires, mostly just a long giant rock garden but with a little luck I'll go run it and report back...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm just not sure about 4th of July weekend plans. I'll let you know what I find out.

Okay, let me know how that goes.

I'll be able to tell you more about the pinnacle trail later this weekend but with the floods last fall the last quarter of the trail was impassable for less than 44 ish tires, mostly just a long giant rock garden but with a little luck I'll go run it and report back...

Yeah, I'd be curious if I can realistically run that trail or not. Please report back with your findings.

AaronPaige

If the threat of rain stops for a couple hours I'm going to run pinnacle trail , but I asked around locally, and no one in my contact group knows about it's condition, with so many side by sides running anymore I bet there is a way out but if not there are several more trails in tha area...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I know this is still a month away, but can anybody else confirm they could make this trip? Perhaps any locals who would/could run Hanging Tree with me? I'm just trying to see if this trip is a reality or not.

AaronPaige

Sorry I have not been able to report on the trails, almost daily we have been getting thunder storms that flood your canyons, but I'm trying...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Sorry I have not been able to report on the trails, almost daily we have been getting thunder storms that flood your canyons, but I'm trying...

Do not worry. I know the weather has made things more challenging, to be sure.

Speaking of: since Hanging Tree is known for having some water in it anyway, I figured this is the trail I'm going to run... if I can get somebody to lead us.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'd be interested in running hanging tree but I'm a newb so no help in leading. I do know my jeep has ran the trail with the previous owner though so it's capable;)

Pile of parts

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Glad you brought it back up. Not sure I'll make it, I've got an issue with my transfer case. Hope to tear into it this weekend.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Not sure I'll make it, I've got an issue with my transfer case. Hope to tear into it this weekend.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get it sorted out in a timely manner.

Heck, my tow rig just went down for repair this week. Thankfully, it went back together today; I just need to drive it for the next couple days to make sure everything is fully sorted.

Trate D

I just seen this thread....... I am asking a few friends if they would like to go. I haven't been on hanging tree since the last time we ran it. I would love to do it again.

jcbaert

What would you say the requirements would be for a rig to run the Hanging Tree Trail. This trail is on my list that I'd like to try, but I wouldn't want to attempt it if it's way out of my league.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What would you say the requirements would be for a rig to run the Hanging Tree Trail. This trail is on my list that I'd like to try, but I wouldn't want to attempt it if it's way out of my league.

The trail head sign is pretty clear on the matter:

100_9976.jpg

Having run it 3 or 4 times, I would consider the 35" minimum tire size a rule to be heeded. As for dual lockers, you could get away with only having one provided you are with a group that doesn't mind strapping/winching you when you get hung up on an obstacle and/or you can't free yourself. A winch might not be required on every vehicle in the group, but it would be very, very wise to make sure you've got a few of them in your group. Oh, and each vehicle better have sturdy recovery points front and rear.

My TJ is running 35" tires, dual Air Lockers and lots of armor. I consider this the minimum build to comfortably run the trail, though I have been with rigs that weren't quite so built that nevertheless managed to make it through the trail. Oh, and I've never been on this trail when there weren't multiple instances of strapping or winching somebody up/over a few obstacles.

Now that that has been said, how do you feel about it? :)

Last edited:

jcbaert

Well, I'm on metric 35's, locked front and rear, I have a winch and lots of armor but I am IFS. Do you think that will make much of a difference?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Well, I'm on metric 35's, locked front and rear, I have a winch and lots of armor but I am IFS. Do you think that will make much of a difference?

We got (one of) sixstringsteve's Tacomas through it, and that truck was IFS and open up front on 35s. Be advised: he did get some... unusual... body damage in a few spots. (I am NOT trying to talk you out of going; I just want you to know what you could be in for.)