Power steering question

cambam

Does anyone know if the power steering set up on an older dodge truck will work on a cj? Are they the same? my cj7 leaks like a faucet, and I would like to replace it. Input?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Chevy truck steering boxes wont work. The CJ box is a pasenger car based unit. Truck boxes mount to the outside of the frame and yours needs to mount to the inside. Trucks will have pumps that will work fine though. Your best bet is to look for quality rebuilt or new stuff. What makes you think old chevy stuff will not be worn out too.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have a PS gearbox and pump from a Wagoneer. They will bolt up to a cj but are 3.5 turns stop to stop where the cj one is 4.5. The hose fittings are different on the older ones vs the newer cjs so you will need to watch out for that.
On my cj8 project I am using a 99 TJ gearbox, bolts up fine but requires a different steering shaft end. I used a YJ steering shaft on mine to blend the 99 TJ box to the XJ tilt column I used. TJ ones are also 3.5 ratio. Even XJ ones will bolt up but like the TJ have a different input shaft size.
Dave