Power Steering Questions?

Cascadia

Undecided
Thinking about doing a power steering conversion on a 78 cj5 with a 258. What all is needed to do the conversion and is there certain aftermarket parts you would get instead of from a donor vehicle?

Is this what I need?

1. Power steering gear box.
2. Power steering pump.
3. Mounting brackets for power steering pump.
4. New fan belt for power steering pump.
5. Pressure line and return line going from power steering pump to power steering gearbox.
6. New lower steering shaft (or at least the coupler), because input shaft on a power steering gearbox is a different size than the input shaft on a manual steering gearbox.
7. New pitman arm, because the output shaft on a power steering gearbox is a different size than the output shaft on a manual gearbox.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That looks about right.. One thing I don't see is that you may need a new pulley or two- I can't remember if the 258 stuff has the separate pulley for the PS or not. Jeep v8's have separate pulleys. :D

IF it was me, I'd grab as much as I could off a Wagoneer-- they have inside-the-frame PS boxes, the right pump, lines, etc.

If I can get off this very comfortable and non-headache-inducing couch I'll take a look at my '78 factory service manual and compare diagrams.

There's not much I'd go aftermarket for, for this particular swap.

Cascadia

Undecided
What about pulling the same stuff from a wrangler with a 258? I have sourced the entire list of parts for $50 from a guy if it will all work the same.

Cascadia

Undecided
Tacoma, thanks and hopefully you can get off your couch sometime soon to look that up for me.

Brian, does yours have power steering? Was it factory or did you put it on?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The YJ power steering box has a smaller diameter input shaft than the wagoneer box does and would require a different intermediate shaft end. I have a J10 (same as a waggy) power steering box if you could use it.

ret32

I thought all '78 CJ's came with power steering?:confused:

When I used to have my '74 CJ5, I had understood that all the other intermediate guys were generally sourcing their PS parts from '77+ CJ's. I bought parts from an '82 to put in mine.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The YJ power steering box has a smaller diameter input shaft than the wagoneer box does and would require a different intermediate shaft end. I have a J10 (same as a waggy) power steering box if you could use it.

I picked up the smaller diameter end at Teraflex when I swapped out my gear box, I want to say it was under $20. I thought manual gear boxes already used the smaller ends on the CJ's and the Power steering gear box used the larger end.

The boxes might mount to the frame differently but they are all the same Saginaw bolt pattern. When I had issues with my 80's CJ gear box I got a gear box from a TJ and it bolted right up. The main difference I saw with CJ/TJ/Cherokee was some of them only had 3 places to bolt VS 4.