Tranny is in. Shifts with a bang, so Jody is keeping the stock settings rather than firming it up from the tuner.

Where's the best place to get the EGT gauge and probe? I'm getting a tan pillar pod to put the EGT and tuner switch in. I'll have one empty spot...what should I put in? Boost? Voltmeter (stupid f*rd doesn't have a voltmeter)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have trans temp, boost, pyro in mine. Voltmeter would be good too, I have a 4 pod so that might work well.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Tranny is in. Shifts with a bang, so Jody is keeping the stock settings rather than firming it up from the tuner.

Where's the best place to get the EGT gauge and probe? I'm getting a tan pillar pod to put the EGT and tuner switch in. I'll have one empty spot...what should I put in? Boost? Voltmeter (stupid f*rd doesn't have a voltmeter)

Sweet!!

Summit or Jegs for the pyro....
Your dash has a trans temp gauge????

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Sweet!!

I think that's standard on '03s?

I like the boost gauge. It doesn't have any real use as far as I know, but it's kinda interesting on a long pull. I drive off the speedo, EGT and trans temp gauge.

Sweet!!

Yup, upper right. Usually sits right in the middle once it's warmed up. Only time I've seen it start to get hot was dragging a bobcat on the slow, steep hills near our property, 1st and 2nd gear stuff with the TC unlocked. I stopped and put it in low range and the temps went back down.

Brett

mbryson

Supporting Member
Yup, upper right. Usually sits right in the middle once it's warmed up. Only time I've seen it start to get hot was dragging a bobcat on the slow, steep hills near our property, 1st and 2nd gear stuff with the TC unlocked. I stopped and put it in low range and the temps went back down.

Brett

How hot is "middle"? I like to know what "hot" is.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would get a trans gauge. Mine was getting about 220 and I didn't even know it towing. Turns out I had a bad transmission bypass tube. Never over 180 now on the hottest days plus I have the 6.0 cooler

mbryson

Supporting Member
I would get a trans gauge. Mine was getting about 220 and I didn't even know it towing. Turns out I had a bad transmission bypass tube. Never over 180 now on the hottest days plus I have the 6.0 cooler

Mine gets a little above 180, but only when I'm dragging something up a hill. I'd get the trans gauge if I were you.

idiot gauge:p....Get a real one so you know!!

I thought idiot gauges were just the lights that come on after the damage is done.

If "normal" is 180, and it's usually at 180, and mine is usually at a certain spot in the middle, which would be "normal" and "normal" = 180, what's the point of installing a new gauge, unless you are going to read from a different spot on the tranny. (lots of threads debating the spot to read...pre-cooler vs post-cooler vs bottom of pan vs whatever)

I'd be suspicious of the gauge if it had never moved past that point, but it did, in a legitimate hot situation, and I reacted and adjusted for it.

We also put in a 26,000 gvw cooler in addition to the stock coolers.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Did you plumb it into a different spot than the factory gauge?

I don't have a factory gauge. Mine's fairly "foo free" (non of that shift on the fly, trans gauge, etc.) but it is a Lariat? What can I say, it's a F*rd. The gauge is in the "inspection port" (maybe it's a "test port"?).

jevyguy

I wouldn't trust a factory tranny guage, because you really need to know what the tranny temp is. In a 03 Powerstroke you can drive a couple of blocks in the dead of winter and somehow it reads Normal.... hmmmm.. What's normal anyway when you have no numbers to read?? Get some guages from summit racing, I am a big fan of auto meter! Tranny and EGT is really all the guages you need, because the boost is just for the cool factor

The chip will get to my office on the 24th.

I ordered my gauges and pod from JEGS last night, they will ship overnight on Monday. I get back from DC on Weds and will install my junk on Thurs.

On Friday, I'm haulin' a mini-ex up to my property near Wanship (7600 lbs plus trailer) so we'll find out how it does.