Pre EJS antenna tuning parties...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ok tuners; been installing a radio today. New Tram antenna, matching mount (stainless) that's grounded to vehicle, new cool coaxial cable setup according to mfg instructions and older radios (I've tried two different radios and get same results on both).

I get an SWR @ 2.25 on 1 and about 2.75 on 40. My knowledge is that I'd like one end to be about 1.75 or less before I start trimming ? Or should I start trimming antenna length and my SWR might go down?

Suggestions?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
if the swr steadily decreases from 40 down to 1 then the antenna is just too long. (better SWR at lower channel with longer wavelength means antenna too long)
If it dips near the middle and then comes back up it just has a narrow bandwidth and you'll have to live with a narrower range of usable channels.

Edit:
Never coil up excess antenna cable (pretty typical since most cables are sold in 18' lengths), fanfold (back and forth, no loops) the excess and tie it off or just wad it up into a mass with no regular pattern. Loops can create an inductive element that can cause the antenna response to have peaks that narrow the usable bandwidth.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
I started with a SS whip 49" antenna but also had a ground problem. Once that was taken care of. I trimmed the antenna to 36.5" and it barley touches the garage door on entry . Now im at 1.50 in ch 1 & 40 . I was able to communicate with a guy a few miles from my house nice and strong. Hope this helps.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I am working on getting my cb into my truck again, and would like to make it a bit better. I have always used a magnetic mount antenna, but I can't broadcast far at all. Does anyone have an extra real antenna and cable they would like to part with? If not I'll just pick one up on amazon. Thinking a 3' ish

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
get the teraflex mount from low range and then get a firestik from any truck stop. or even at low range... if you need help tuning it let me know.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Tunable tip is easier

Correct. For another easy-to-tune option, you might consider the RoadPro RP-550 steel whip antenna. I bought this one for my Suburban, simply because it was visually similar to my 2/70 ham antenna which was already installed. The RP-550 tunes by turning two rings at the base of the antenna. I was a bit skeptical when I bought it, but tuning it was as easy as you'd expect and it came right into a nice, low SWR range.

RP-550_600w_600h_sb.JPG

For $20 at Amazon, I think it's a great deal.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Thanks guys!
Do I need to pay attention to the watts rating. I am seeing between 300-900

Also, I may be making my own mount.. does it need to be anything specific? Grounded to the truck?

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Do I need to pay attention to the watts rating.

Doubtful, since any legal CB radio is limited to 4 watts output.

Also, I may be making my own mount.. does it need to be anything specific? Grounded to the truck?

Doesn't need to be specific, but should be grounded to the vehicle, yes. I installed it on a Firestik SS-174 stainless steel hood channel bracket and connected it to my CB radio via a Firestik K-8R18 coax cable (with Fire-Ring connector). I cut the cable to length and soldered on the included connector. It was all a very simple, straightforward process.

Bart

John, you're a good man and I hope this happens. Even though I won't have my Jeep at EJS, I picked up a 5' antenna that I'll be using at Sand Hollow that I want to get tuned.