Pressure canning

comingdown

Does anyone do it? I am looking for a good stew recipe that I can can. I tried one batch and it turned out okay, but was wondering if anyone had any tips.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Never done stew, but I regularly pressure can spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce. been meaning to try canning meat.

airmanwilliams

Never done stew, but I regularly pressure can spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce. been meaning to try canning meat.

Do you have to pressure can spaghetti sauce? I have done about 112 pints of salsa so far this season in a water bath and think next year ill do spaghetti sauce, can I do spaghetti sauce in a water bath if no meat is involved?

airmanwilliams

Does anyone do it? I am looking for a good stew recipe that I can can. I tried one batch and it turned out okay, but was wondering if anyone had any tips.

My father has a great recipe, I am sure of it. I'll ask him. I would like to try it also but smoke the meat. I have a pressure canner but am too scared to use it.

comingdown

I thought you had to pressure can spaghetti sauce. I did beef stew, and pinto beans. My stew I cooked and thought, what the hell, I'll see how it cans and the meat was like mush after it was all said and done. So, I'm planning on experimenting with different levels of cooked meat and vegetables and see what is best. Just an expensive way to learn.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My sauce has no meat in it and the acidity of the tomatoes means a simple water bath is OK. That said, I still pressure can them.
Meats need to be pressure canned at 15 psi at this elevation (iirc) to prevent botulism.
Don't take my word on though, look it up and make sure.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The kitchen may take a week to recover though. :)
between the two, 6 Restaurant cans of crushed tomatoes, 3 bulbs of garlic, fresh basil, fresh oregano, 6 cans tomato paste, and 8 large onions.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Do you just add fresh meat when you pop a jar of this for the meal you are preparing then? Thats a great idea to make it in bulk and have it all set. Makes me start to consider the other things that could be canned for easier dinner prep during the week.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I usually add a 1/2lb of browned Italian sausage to it for spaghetti. I also use it to make lasagna.
For pizza, I make my own sourdough crust and cook it on the Big Green Egg at about 650*