Toyota Programming a transponder key?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Anyone got some insight on how to program a new transponder key for a 2004 Toyota Sequoia?
I picked up a key from Amazon and got it cut, I found some directions online:

1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Turn the key to the ON position.
8. Wait 2 minutes. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed.
9. Remove your key
10. Open and close the drivers door 1 time.

NOTE: You have 35 seconds to complete steps 1-5 and 10 seconds to complete step 7. If you do not do this procedure fast enough the car will not go into programming mode and your key will not program.

If the security light does not go out after 2 minutes start the procedure over again.

I do the above procedure and my security key light does not blink after I've inserted the new key into the ignition (step 8). The wait 2 minutes varies between instruction sets, some say one minute, I've done both.

Anybody got some additional ideas?

Caleb

What do they mean by master key? Just another programmed key, or is there something different about a "master" key. I just had the dealer do my keys on my Tundra, it was something like $60 for the programming and $40 for each key (I got two keys so it was $140).

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've read some and from what I understand they were originally sold with 2 black keys referred to as a "master" key and a gray key which was kind of like a valet key. I only got one key when I bought it so I'm just looking for a backup.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Read something in the owners manual about only a certain number of keys that can be made:
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM34423U/pdf/1-2.pdf
(page 5)
For your Toyota dealer to make you a
new key with built

in transponder chip,
your dealer will need your key number
and master key. However, there is a limit
to the number of additional keys your
Toyota dealer can make for you.

Which sounds like a bunch of crap, I have no idea of my key number and only have one key. Who knows what the previous owner(s) have done, who's to say they haven't had additional keys made?

Caleb

Read something in the owners manual about only a certain number of keys that can be made:
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM34423U/pdf/1-2.pdf
(page 5)

Which sounds like a bunch of crap, I have no idea of my key number and only have one key. Who knows what the previous owner(s) have done, who's to say they haven't had additional keys made?

What year is your sequoia? When I had my keys made for my 07 Tundra, the dealer said the only way they will garantee the new keys will work is if I left my truck with them. They said just because they have the correct number (can be looked up by the dealer with your vin) it doesn't mean they could make a new key. Since I only had one key as well, they said if I lost that key and they were unable to make a new one, I'd have to buy a new computer at around $700. I figured the ~$150 the dealer was charging for a couple keys was cheap insurance.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
shouldn't be a problem to have a good locksmith have programmed keys made. My boss has a 2003 sequoia that we have had at least 4 keys made for no problem. PM JPEST on here.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
shouldn't be a problem to have a good locksmith have programmed keys made. My boss has a 2003 sequoia that we have had at least 4 keys made for no problem. PM JPEST on here.

I've sent him a PM. I know in other threads he's mentioned they can program them.

leorn

reset
Good luck with it. I was able to successfully program keys for my 1998 avalon and my parent 1998 camry. Google gives me a slight variation. DONT TURN THE NEW KEY. That was the big difference, it makes sense to me since the new key is not yet programmed. Hope it helps.

1.Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2.Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.
3.Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.
4.Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5.Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6.DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON
7.The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.The THEFT light on the
dashboard will go out,indicating that programming has been completed.
"some 2002 will work using the 1998+ programming."

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
My boss told me he found a solution to the "pay $60 at the stealership" problem (his problem was that the dealership could not reprogram his Sequoia). Go to walmart, cut one for $2. Tape the old one to the steering column. Your new $2 one will now work (of course this leaves the key in it for a car burgler to become a car thief). I tried it with my 02 chevy (Chevy keys are $100 each at the stealership), it works fine.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Good luck with it. I was able to successfully program keys for my 1998 avalon and my parent 1998 camry. Google gives me a slight variation. DONT TURN THE NEW KEY. That was the big difference, it makes sense to me since the new key is not yet programmed. Hope it helps.

1.Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2.Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.
3.Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.
4.Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
4b. Rub belly and head with hands at the same time for 7 minutes.
5.Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6.DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON
7.The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.The THEFT light on the
dashboard will go out,indicating that programming has been completed.
"some 2002 will work using the 1998+ programming."

You left out the most important part.

ToyMan44

I used this method for my 2004 Toyota Sequoia and it worked OK...i had to try it about 4 times...I guest its all about timing. Make sure if your key has a DOT stamp in it... that you purchase one that is compatible to yours (got mine from Ebay). The locksmith wanted $80 for programming...only took me about 2 minutes.

Last edited:

ToyMan44

I used this method for my 2004 Toyota Sequoia and it worked OK...i had to try it about 4 times...I guest its all about timing. Make sure if your key has a DOT stamp in it... that you purchase one that is compatible to yours (got mine from Ebay). The locksmith wanted $80 for programming...only took me about 2 minutes. Thanks Spork

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I know with fords you have to have two keys that are programmed to get a third key accepted by the computer. Otherwise you have to connect to the OBD2 port to force the computer to accept it.