Project car; 1973 Camaro Z28 clone

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This is pretty off-topic for RME, but most of us are car/4x4 enthusiasts and I know there are more than a few of us with old-school muscle cars in our pasts. If this isn't your cup of tea, feel free to move on... I really don't care for the negative comments, so keep them to yourself. I wanted to document and share this build with those that are interested, so here we are.

For those that don't know me and my past very well, lets step back 20 yrs ago... :eek: When I was in high school I knew nothing about cars, my Dad wasn't much of a car guy and never really worked on them. My senior year, out of curiosity, I stopped by a speed shop in Provo called Super Shops. That place was impressive, Boyd's and Cragar Wheels lined the windows, piles of BFGoodrich tires stacked up all over inside and all kinds of engine parts were hanging off the wall.... it was Heaven for a high school kid! I talked to the guys, saw that they were hiring for a tire/wheel installer and ended up with a afternoon/evening job there, I even got out of school early 3 days a week to go to work! All the work we did was high quality, aftermarket stuff... we sold muscle car and hot rod parts, sold and installed wheels & tires. Eventually I became the full-time shop manager post-high school. I learned how to mount all kinds of specialty tires, huge drag car and pro-street tires, internal beadlocks for circle track cars, massive 44" tires for 4x4's... all kinds of high-dollar, custom stuff. Shortly after graduating I found a '71 Super Sport Camaro that was for sale right behind Mountain View High school in Orem... the rear quarters were rusted out, the paint was hideous (it had been painted with a chalky blue that rubbed off if you touched it) and the interior was bad. The guy was asking $750 IIRC and after a fun solo test drive where I accidentally got the car sideways, we settled on $500. $500 for a running, driving 1971 SS Camaro... :eek: After getting it home and doing some research I learned the engine was a small block 400 from a truck. It had a TH350 and 10 Bolt rear with 3.08 gears and a posi that was actually quite tight.

By this point all my paychecks from Super Shops, save $20 for gas, went towards engine parts... with some help in the way of used parts from my co-workers and new parts, we put together a 4-bolt main 355 with Dart Sportsman heads and intake, a Holley 750 vac. secondary carb, Mallory hall effect distributor & ignition box, Hooker headers, flat-top pistons, an Erson hyd. roller cam w/ 1.6 ratio roller rockers. I had the machine work done at Strasburg Machine in Lindon and assembled the engine myself, often referring to a book on building a SBC. The engine should have been a solid 400 HP engine and it ran like it. There was a lot of bench racing during the week, then cruising on the weekends and looking for street races. I lost a few, but won many. I had friends that would make fun of how my car looked, but I'd give them sh!t back and say looks didn't matter when all they could see were my tail lights. ;) I ended up driving that beater for about 3 years and burned thru 3 transmissions.... the last one took out my new, high-dollar ($600!!) torque convertor. I also ended up getting my license suspended for a year and SR22 insurance for 3 years due to my dumb street racing. Between the legal trouble (I hired a lawyer for one ticket, ask me about it next time we meet inperson ;) ) and the transmissions, I ended up parting out the car. The engine got a smaller cam and the 355 went into my CJ5 and the rolling chassis of the '71 Camaro got sold off to another guy in Orem for $500. So.... that's my history. I had a LOT of good times and great memories in that car, learned a lot and made many friends. It really made me who I am today.

Back to today... I've told my wife for years that eventually I wanted to find early 70's Camaro and build it how I wanted... well, that day is finally here. :D

Over the weekend I made a deal to buy a massive project, a '73 Camaro that has a Z28 front clip w/ the split bumper. It's NOT a factory Z28 and I don't care that it's not. I'm not trying to build a numbers matching, historical car... this is about a project that I can take my time on, trying to build it right and eventually have a blast driving it all over... this won't be a shiny, show car. It will need new quarter panels, a new roof panel (it was a vinyl top car and the top was replaced with a used piece, but the work is hacked) and the front fenders are missing. The pics show a LOT of missing parts, but fortunately the previous owner is the one that stripped it down and kept everything... all the trim, driving and tail lights, headlights, trim rings, etc. It does have a Z28 front clip and a steel cowl induction hood too. The interior is beat, it's going too need a lot of work. It's not going to be done quickly and I'm not going to sink $30-40k into the build. I want to do as much as the work as I can myself and ENJOY the project.

The car also comes with a running 400 SBC with an aluminum intake & Holley carb, headers and a complete Flowmaster exhaust... but no transmission. The rear axle has 3.73 gears and a posi. Not bad for what it is... it's more of a project than I really wanted, but I don't mind challenging myself with this one.

My plan? I guess you'd call it a 'pro-touring car'. I want a car that could be a daily driver and road trip machine, but capable enough head to the road race track on the weekends for some amateur fun. For the time being I'll run the 400 SBC that comes with the car, probably a 700R4 (considering a built 200-4R too) transmission and just re-freshen the rear axle. Once all the body work is done I want to paint it flat black, build my own 6 point cage and subframe connectors to stiffen up the chassis, upgraded 'firm' springs and shocks that lower the car 1-1.5", add beefy anti-sway bars, big Wilwood brakes and calipers, 18" or 19" wheels from a late model Camaro or Corvette that will be powder coated black and big, wide Z-rated tires. There will also be no chrome on the car. I also want to add the front-lower spoiler and the bigger spoiler out back. Eventually I'd like to swap in a GM LQ9 6.0l truck engine with some mods capable of pushing 450-500 HP... and possibly a T56 6 speed manual transmission from a late model Camaro.... but that is several years down the road, if ever. All those parts will be a LOT of $$$.

Here's pics of how the car was found, at the previous owners house. -

i-4HVZVQk.jpg

i-g2fMNg9.jpg

i-zbz2Kbh.jpg

i-CCt5rV2.jpg

And my inspiration... this is obviously a professional built car, but I LOVE it. If mine turns out half as good, I'll be very happy.

1971_chevrolet_camaro_rs_pro_touring__gt6__by_vert  ualissimo-d6zw7r6-L.jpg

1971_chevrolet_camaro_rs_pro_touring__gt6__by_vert  ualissimo-d6zw80o-L.jpg

And what I'd eventually like to have the car ride like...
[video=youtube;Z9Vz-42Kc2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Vz-42Kc2s[/video]

Great article with full specs on Mary's car... - http://www.superchevy.com/features/...n-and-handling-challenge-1973-camaro-rs-test/

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Pretty cool Greg. I've never been a 70 camero fan but that inspiration pic is pretty sweet. Plus I know how we get attached to a body style that has fond memories associated. I love Fox body Mustangs for the same reason even though they are hideous.
Cool back story as well. You should read Shop Class as soul craft. The author has a story similar to yours.

Greg

Admin
Pretty cool Greg. I've never been a 70 camero fan but that inspiration pic is pretty sweet. Plus I know how we get attached to a body style that has fond memories associated. I love Fox body Mustangs for the same reason even though they are hideous.
Cool back story as well. You should read Shop Class as soul craft. The author has a story similar to yours.

You hit the nail on the head Chad, this body style means a lot to me. I've mentioned bits & pieces of my past on here, but it seemed right to put it all down to explain my backstory at this point.

I'll check out the book, thanks for the reference!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
My wife had a 76 Camaro when we married. Poor thing had a 305 in it. Had a tough time getting out of its own way. Of course, being a Mustang guy, letting that car go wasn't tough...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Awesome. Can't wait to see it come together :cool:

I'd like to swap in a GM LQ9 6.0l truck engine with forced induction and some other mods capable of pushing 450-500 HP... and possibly a T56 6 speed manual transmission from a late model Camaro.... but that is several weeks down the road... Yep All those parts will be totally worth it in the long run

Fixed it for you.

Greg

Admin
My wife had a 76 Camaro when we married. Poor thing had a 305 in it. Had a tough time getting out of its own way. Of course, being a Mustang guy, letting that car go wasn't tough...

I honestly hate the 74+ Camaro's... they went dowhill quick with looks and performance. Emissions and mileage requirements really killed the muscle cars from the mid-70's on and there aren't many cars after '74 that I respect as true 'muscle' cars. And yeah, 305's were dogs.

Awesome. Can't wait to see it come together :cool:

Fixed it for you.

:rofl: If I could... well, that kind of power it would be too much for what I want out of the car. 450 HP is way more than enough to put a smile on my face and get me into trouble. :eek:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's kinda interesting that both of your Camaros came with smallblock 400's. :)

A couple questions--what is a 200-4R? (compared to the 700R4) And why do your future plans call for a truck-version 6.0 rather than a car one?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
As I said before I'm super jealous. Someday, when I have the shop space for a project like this I will be doing something similar.

Super Shops! LOL! Haven't thought about that place for some time. That's where all the engine goodies that went into my FJ40 V8 swap came from. Sucks they're gone. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

CobraNutt

But it's a Chebby! [emoji14] Lol!

(Sorry...couldn't help myself! )

Looks like a fun project! I'm obviously not a Chevy guy, but it's not because I never liked them, but because where and when I grew up, EVERYBODY had one. So I went with the old school Mustangs and ended up owning/building several of them over the years during and after high school. I secretly coveted one buddy's '69 Camaro, and another buddy's '70 'Cuda. I drove a '59 Chevy Apache fleetside while I built my Mustangs...wish I still had it. I just ended up with Ford Blue blood somehow...and still have a Mustang in the garage, although not classic...but I love most all of the old classic machines and look forward to seeing what you do with yours!

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

Greg

Admin
It's kinda interesting that both of your Camaros came with smallblock 400's. :)

A couple questions--what is a 200R4? (compared to the 700R4) And why do your future plans call for a truck-version 6.0 rather than a car one?

Yeah, isn't that funny about the 400's? They have their problems, but make good torque down low. Before I put in my built 355, I added headers & Flowmasters, my aluminum intake and Holley carb to the 400 and it ran great. The stock heads choked off power above 5k RPM, but the power down low was impressive.

The 200-4R is a bit of an oddity, not nearly as common as a 700R4, but similar as it's a 4 speed auto w/ deep OD. It was used in high-power applications from the early 80's and lasted about 10 yrs, IIRC it was used in Buick Grand Nationals and some Corvettes. I believe the 200-4R is also the same size as a TH350 and shorter than the 700R4. The biggest reason I'm attracted to the 200-4R vs. the 700R4 is due to the shallower 1st gear ratio.... and the sightly deeper OD ratio. The 700R4's 1st gear is very low, great for a heavier vehicle with less power, but overkill for a light-weight car with a big engine. Some people say the gap between 1st and 2nd on the 700R4 is too far apart and doesn't drive as well as it should. The higher 1st gear from the 200-4R would make 1st gear more usable and the gap between 1st and 2nd less obvious.

Gear ratios for a 200-4R; First - 2.74 and OD - .67
Gear ratios for a 700R4; First - 3.05 and OD - .70

I'm not stuck on the truck 6.0, but they're much easier to find and therefore less expensive than a LS1, LS2, LS3, etc. They can be built to make big power with a few valvetrain and tuning changes and even the cast iron block of the truck engines is still 100 #'s lighter than a Gen 1 SBC. I don't really see myself needing to justify an aluminum block for this project.

As I said before I'm super jealous. Someday, when I have the shop space for a project like this I will be doing something similar.

Super Shops! LOL! Haven't thought about that place for some time. That's where all the engine goodies that went into my FJ40 V8 swap came from. Sucks they're gone. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

I hear ya, I have the shop space finally... might as well take on a project to justify it!

I spent some time at the SLC store, I loved that my job was to BS about cars and sell upgraded parts. I also spent a lot of time/weekends at RMR and the quarter mile track, even assisted some of our customers in the pits. We had one customer with a door slammer that ran 8's in the Quarter who I helped with quite a bit.

But it's a Chebby! [emoji14] Lol!

(Sorry...couldn't help myself! )

Looks like a fun project! I'm obviously not a Chevy guy, but it's not because I never liked them, but because where and when I grew up, EVERYBODY had one. So I went with the old school Mustangs and ended up owning/building several of them over the years during and after high school. I secretly coveted one buddy's '69 Camaro, and another buddy's '70 'Cuda. I drove a '59 Chevy Apache fleetside while I built my Mustangs...wish I still had it. I just ended up with Ford Blue blood somehow...and still have a Mustang in the garage, although not classic...but I love most all of the old classic machines and look forward to seeing what you do with yours!

Yes, it sure is! I understand how people can lean one way or another when it comes to brands. Obviously I'm not a Ford guy, but there are many Ford's that I can respect. That said, I loved looking for races against Mustangs... guy's with 5.0's always thought they were fast. ;)

I never did loose a race against a Ford, the closest race I had with another Ford was in Provo. I found a guy with a 2WD Ranger that had a nasty 302 under the hood. One night we ran a few times, but due to traffic lights and other cars it was hard to get a clean race. When we finally did get an open road, I remember both of us getting up to 100 MPH or so and his fender was right next to my door... and then we passed a cop. :eek:

CobraNutt

I just have a little stock 4.6 under the hood these days. Can't afford to race/break parts/pay tickets! Lol. The only local car back home that would beat my '68 GT was my buddy's 'Cuda. His Hemi was just a tad stronger than my 429SCJ that I stuffed in. We may have passed/outran an officer or two back in the day....I'll never tell... ;) Another friend of ours was building a 70 or 71 Camaro with a well built 427, but I don't know what ever became of it. I didn't stick around after graduation.

Have fun with your project!

Greg

Admin
I just have a little stock 4.6 under the hood these days. Can't afford to race/break parts/pay tickets! Lol. The only local car back home that would beat my '68 GT was my buddy's 'Cuda. His Hemi was just a tad stronger than my 429SCJ that I stuffed in. We may have passed/outran an officer or two back in the day....I'll never tell... ;) Another friend of ours was building a 70 or 71 Camaro with a well built 427, but I don't know what ever became of it. I didn't stick around after graduation.

Have fun with your project!

I can't afford to race anymore either, but still want a decently quick car... for, well... getting up to speed on the freeway. ;)

It was always fun to see what cars were truly quick in the local scene... sounds like you had some good ones! I would loved to have seen your 429SCJ run! My little 355 probably would have been an embarrassment. :freak: Big block cars were on a whole other level!

I raced a Charger that had a mean 440 one night at the mouth of AF Canyon... I got a good start and he got a bad start and I barely took him. We ran a 2nd time and he beat me so bad it wasn't funny.

mombobuggy

Awesome ideas and I share your fondness for the car . My favorite car was my Dads 70.5 lt1 z28 . It was silver with black SS stripes. 4 speed car. He has had many cool rides since then but still misses that one the most. Keep us posted on your build.

Greg

Admin
Awesome ideas and I share your fondness for the car . My favorite car was my Dads 70.5 lt1 z28 . It was silver with black SS stripes. 4 speed car. He has had many cool rides since then but still misses that one the most. Keep us posted on your build.

I looked at a 70 1/2 on Friday, sounds like your dad had a very valuable car! Loved the stripes on those cars too... :cool: I'll be sure to update this thread over time.

Bitchin'

Sounds like a fun project.

Bitchen' Camaro! Project is right, I just hope I can do it justice.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Wowser. That is a project!!

My best friend had a 70's Camaro in high school. Primer brown with black primer stripes. We called it the dead watermelon. Total sleeper. Way fun car. We would spin dry doughnuts all day long.

This us will be fun to watch!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
This sounds like a good one, Greg. I'm elbows deep in my first "hot rod" build right now. Was thinking about doing a build thread but didn't think it would apply around here, although much of the fab carries over. 1965 sunbeam alpine. I bet most have never heard of it. I hadn't.

Greg

Admin
Wowser. That is a project!!

My best friend had a 70's Camaro in high school. Primer brown with black primer stripes. We called it the dead watermelon. Total sleeper. Way fun car. We would spin dry doughnuts all day long.

This us will be fun to watch!

Awesome, I love hearing about the memories that others have had in similar cars! Sleepers are tons of fun. ;)

This sounds like a good one, Greg. I'm elbows deep in my first "hot rod" build right now. Was thinking about doing a build thread but didn't think it would apply around here, although much of the fab carries over. 1965 sunbeam alpine. I bet most have never heard of it. I hadn't.

That sounds awesome! If you have the time & interest, I'd love to see a build thread. I actually met a guy that has a Sunbeam that was painted bright Yellow with a VERY hot 351 Windsor(?) under the hood making around 500 HP. The thing was ridiculous, his biggest problem was traction. It was so small and light, if it hooked up he could make other normal muscle cars look silly.

So what are you putting in it? LSx? :freak:

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
That'll be a slick car Greg, can't wait to watch the progress! I always loved the 70.5-73 Camaro's myself, but haven't ever owned one. In HS I had a '66 Mustang and my cousin had a '67 Camaro SS. I just started building my sons first car with him, '67 Cougar, it's really throwing my memory back to high school and making me long for another muscle car myself. I'd have to part with my Triumph though, and I don't think I'm ready for that.
Good lookin car man, keep us updated!