Project DOFOR 94 Jeep XJ

thenag

Thank you!

Its looking like the West Jordan, Sandy area.

Be sure to read through the Utah State vehicle safety inspection manual(google for it you can download the whole thing). For your xj you will likely need mud flaps and fender flares to register it. For the most part if you have made an honest effort to cover your tires you will pass.

It looks like you are using quality parts, I kind of like that steering brace, I figure I don't need something like that since I have hydro assist.

I have that same clamshell puller, it is friggen awesome! I didn't have to buy my press I borrowed it from my father in law and it has stayed in my shop.

Ruff Stuff is one of my favorite parts places, I wish they made more stuff.

Nathan
build thread
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Sasquatch_Adventures

Be sure to read through the Utah State vehicle safety inspection manual(google for it you can download the whole thing). For your xj you will likely need mud flaps and fender flares to register it. For the most part if you have made an honest effort to cover your tires you will pass.

It looks like you are using quality parts, I kind of like that steering brace, I figure I don't need something like that since I have hydro assist.

I have that same clamshell puller, it is friggen awesome! I didn't have to buy my press I borrowed it from my father in law and it has stayed in my shop.

Ruff Stuff is one of my favorite parts places, I wish they made more stuff.

Nathan
build thread
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Yeah being from Utah I know all about the good old state inspections and I am not looking forward to it again. Here in AZ I don't need any smog, emissions, or inspections you can register and drive just about anything with lights and a motor. I do appreciate the heads up.

I am planning on fender flares, mud flaps, and fixing the cracked windshield.... :rolleyes:

Sasquatch_Adventures

Made some progress on the build, I got the rear Aussie installed and some e brake cables from M.O.R.E. installed. I still need to do the rear bumper and the front Aussie but I'm in the middle of packing so it will have to wait until we are moved up to Utah.

I was able to get it out wheeling (posted in the trails section) and got some decent poser shots the other day as well...

Sasquatch_Adventures

Well I finally got around to starting on my rear bumper.

I cut my hitch and flipped it up, then welded some brackets on the sides to support it and a plate along the bottom to give it a smooth transaction from the gas tank skid.

Next I ran some tube across the rear, I am still trying to figure out how to run the lower tube but I've got a couple ideas.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Looks good so far. I would cut and fold your rear quarter panels since your doing a rear bumper and run it out under the quarter panels.

Sasquatch_Adventures

I also switched out my old Ruff Stuff Steering from the 3/4" kit to the 7/8" kit. Then I replaced my stock track bar mounts at both ends.

With a little concern about the knuckles not being strong enough I ran some round bar around the insides and plated the top.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Good call on the knuckle reinforcement. I put mine on hold and I'm paying for it

XJEEPER

I'm working on my rear XJ bumper and doing something similar with the rear hitch to incorporate it into the bumper, however I am also using the 8 stock bumper mounting holes because I want to minimize potential lateral deflection from a side impact on the bumper ends. You might want to rethink the bumper corners, too often folks go for added clearance on the corner to improve departure angle on tight trails, at the expense of taillights and upper quarter panels. I'd rather drag on the tube than wrinkle sheet metal.

93yj

How is the breaking for your 8.8? I am running an 8.8 on both my YJ and XJ. And that has been the only negative on mine. The discs don't break very well if at all.

Sasquatch_Adventures

I'm working on my rear XJ bumper and doing something similar with the rear hitch to incorporate it into the bumper, however I am also using the 8 stock bumper mounting holes because I want to minimize potential lateral deflection from a side impact on the bumper ends. You might want to rethink the bumper corners, too often folks go for added clearance on the corner to improve departure angle on tight trails, at the expense of taillights and upper quarter panels. I'd rather drag on the tube than wrinkle sheet metal.
Thanks for the input, I agree with you. I'm in the process of cut and folding the rear quarter panels, and I am planning to run some tube from the receiver out towards the corners to give it some strength. I also used the two outer stock bumper holes and then when almost to the outside edge and drilled two more holes on each side to hopefully help give the corners a little more support. I'll post some pics here in the next couple of days.

How is the breaking for your 8.8? I am running an 8.8 on both my YJ and XJ. And that has been the only negative on mine. The discs don't break very well if at all.
I was looking for an improvement with the discs but I really did not notice much at all. It still stops fine, and I can hear and feel the rear working only cause I need new rotors... :rolleyes: I have a new master cylinder I plan to run and maybe I'll mess with the porpoising valve as I've read others doing.

subscribed! Your build is REALLY making me want to trade in my Sidekick for an XJ or make me want to go find a cheapo one on ksl.

Thank you!