Land Rover Project: Sexy Back: Love is in the Eye of the beholder.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Well, buying that 6.5 motor for the serpentine set-up was a great investment. I sold the engine block for $350 about a month ago. And Monday I sold the turbo set-up for $200. So my serpentine set-up cost made me $150. LOL
ylsmoke.gif

After careful measurement, the turbo wouldn't have fit between the engine and shock towers.

But I do have an idea for a blower on top of this thing. I've been doing a little research and I think I can use a GM 3.8L blower, with some adapters ontop of my intake manifold. Benefits are a much more compact design, I don't have to redo the exhaust, and with 6 psi, it'll be perfect for a little more power

Tonkaman

Well, buying that 6.5 motor for the serpentine set-up was a great investment. I sold the engine block for $350 about a month ago. And Monday I sold the turbo set-up for $200. So my serpentine set-up cost made me $150. LOL
ylsmoke.gif

After careful measurement, the turbo wouldn't have fit between the engine and shock towers.

But I do have an idea for a blower on top of this thing. I've been doing a little research and I think I can use a GM 3.8L blower, with some adapters ontop of my intake manifold. Benefits are a much more compact design, I don't have to redo the exhaust, and with 6 psi, it'll be perfect for a little more power

I like where this is headed!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Well. Went to Moab and I’m already home. I blew a rear axle shaft coming out of Hells Revenge.

We did Fins and Things First then Hells Revenge. Had a blast. This thing is a freaking monster. It climbs up anything with ease. Gearing and torque are awesome. I was never wanting.

Pictures come soon.

I almost flipped it. But was able to winch off my buddy’s rig uphill of me and saved.

f1dcde0a5254c09dd24ee94a2e707b15.jpg

190a81809f647a911a43f6accc565e0e.jpg

aa3b07951d5550565406171fc726502f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Broken axle is out. Good thing Land Rovers use a full floating rear axle. I would have been screwed.

I also twisted the splines on it as well.

I’ll upgrade the rear to the later style 24 spline axle shafts and diff.

ea5c7434c6cb1b000a213285402f8aa6.jpg

c2cc66ee5abae348a2e55986af24de22.jpg

e9dc7ea538264bd9592ca0b927b5faf5.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Differential is toast as well. Teeth are broken on the spider gears and the shaft broke as well. Lol. Well who knows how long it’s been bad but, the torque of the motor was to much. Guess it was a good call to just pack it up on the trailer and call it a day. I have a 24 spline diff to stick in it. I guess I’ll see how it does. If it blows. I’ll be upgrading the axles.

9c51c0486be9665d25a5bcf966b2ce55.jpg

660834f599cedac1ebefa02693f2aaba.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like a great way to break in the freshly rebuilt Rover!

I wonder if the shaft spun a little before it snapped and the shock-loading on the spider gears broke them...

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I think it probably did.

So I went out to my spare parts rigs, my buddy and I have 3 other range rovers and a discovery. I robbed the discovery of its 24 spline diff and axle shafts. I welded the hell out of the diff, spider gears to the case and to each other. Cleaned it all really good afterward, and slapped it all together tonight. I'm waiting for the silicon to dry on the 3rd member, and then I'll fill it back up with oil. If the diff holds fine, I'll buy some upgrade Ashcroft rear axleshafts and be done. I wasn't going to run a lincoln locker, but I'm not going to spend$1500 on an ARB that really isn't much stronger than a traditional Rover diff. Luckily I can now run in 2wd unlike the factory transfercase that was full time 4x4.

I need to get some new rear shocks and some taller rear springs. Then it'll be mostly finished.

I'm going to rip out the front half of the interior this winter to fix a little rust on the driverside, and then seal the whole floor with POR. Then I'll sound deaden the doors, floors and maybe the roof. The stock sound deadening is starting to fall apart.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So I'm tired of manual steering and couldn't find a good place to put a power steering pump.

I've been researching electric power steering options. And I think I've come up with a good solution.

I can use a Chevy cobalt electric power steering box. I'll mount it under the dash and tie it into the steering shaft.

I bought a special controller that will let me choose how much power the electric motor will give me.

I'll update when the parts arrive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2002maniac

I can use a Chevy cobalt electric power steering box. I'll mount it under the dash and tie it into the steering shaft.

That's an interesting solution. I'm curious to see how you integrate it.

What was the last straw with the BMW? I saw it on KSL a while back.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I still have the BMW, its actually treating me well, its a project car. Projects keep me out of trouble.

I've been trying to wrap it incidentally. LOL some winter camo.

I bought another 750iL for parts. I just sold the engine from the parts car. And now I'm into both cars for $00000. With the parts BMW I got rust free doors that actually match the color of the paint and a good hood that doesn't have little rust spots all over it.

So I'm going to swap the doors out and then finish the camo on the hood. And then finish up a few small leaks in transmission cooler lines.

23318980_10155218416400028_6769323875453570314_n.jpg

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Installed my tierods. It went pretty good. I need to get it aligned next. But it wasn't to bad. I used a tape measure to get it close.

I also got all the parts in the mail for my electric power steering conversion.

9984d40a75286fc8dc0990b8f9cc4fa2.jpg

5e1a628abc3b4402981bfddce5d01256.jpg