Protests

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
If you'd read too many history books, then you'd be saying exactly what I said. If history has taught us anything then it is that mobs and vigilantes are bad. Who in their right mind is thinking, "Oh yeah, I gots tha guns, I'm just waitin' for my chance!!!" NO ONE! That's insane!

What was that one time in history when citizens grabbed their guns and starting killing, and it turned out really well.. I think it was in April, 1775..

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My exact reaction! The sleeping giant is going to wake soon. There are a whole lot of us waiting for the right time to save our country.
And really, on their side of the debate, they think going out and demonstrating havoc and lawlessness is their way of showing who has power and is "taking the country back". Threatening to perform vigilante justice on a group you don't agree with is just taking your road to the same destination and makes you sound as detached from real solutions as they are. Maybe we should try not treating hatred with hatred, violence with violence, intolerance with intolerance for a change? I realize that's harder than drawing a you VS them line in the gunpowder, but maybe you can find some common ground in a mutual desire for this country to be the best it can be for the most people.

I also find the "take our country back" a bit odd since.... This wasn't your/our land to begin with. Conceptually you mean the founding values of freedom from persecution and tolerance of one another. Neither side of this dumpster fire shows one ounce of tolerance or empathy for the other at the moment.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If you'd read too many history books, then you'd be saying exactly what I said. If history has taught us anything then it is that mobs and vigilantes are bad. Who in their right mind is thinking, "Oh yeah, I gots tha guns, I'm just waitin' for my chance!!!" NO ONE! That's insane! What we are seeing in Portland, Kenosha, et. all is a fraying of the social fabric of our country. It's bad, about as bad as any of us have seen in our lifetimes. But if you start seeing two groups of citizens waging actual warfare in the streets... that's a breakdown of the social fabric, not just a tearing. History is full of situations like this, none of them end well.
You save a country by fully participating in its institutions. You destroy a country by rooting for violence and demonizing those you disagree with.
You just called me insane. Who is demonizing?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
What was that one time in history when citizens grabbed their guns and starting killing, and it turned out really well.. I think it was in April, 1775..
Citizens did not just grab their guns and run out to start killing other citizens. Is that really your take away from the American Revolution?!? I mean, I don't have the time to delve into all the events that lead up to Lexington and why the Continental Congress issued the Declaration of Independence; but it was categorically NOT running out into the streets with your muskets to kill your neighbor.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Honestly, if you're waiting for your chance to shoot someone, then yes that's pretty insane... And by many orders worse than the numbers of dipshits out there just waiting for their chance to go break out car windows and loot. Normal people aren't just waiting around for their opportunity to do harm to another.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
No sane human is excited by the prospect of getting to kill another.

No one has said they are excited about killing anyone.
If you watch hardly any videos at all, it is very apparent that the rioters ARE excited about hurting and killing people, and about destroying businesses and lives.
The problem has to be stopped at some point, and how do YOU suggest you get these criminal animals to stop?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
And really, on their side of the debate, they think going out and demonstrating havoc and lawlessness is their way of showing who has power and is "taking the country back". Threatening to perform vigilante justice on a group you don't agree with is just taking your road to the same destination and makes you sound as detached from real solutions as they are. Maybe we should try not treating hatred with hatred, violence with violence, intolerance with intolerance for a change? I realize that's harder than drawing a you VS them line in the gunpowder, but maybe you can find some common ground in a mutual desire for this country to be the best it can be for the most people.

I also find the "take our country back" a bit odd since.... This wasn't your/our land to begin with. Conceptually you mean the founding values of freedom from persecution and tolerance of one another. Neither side of this dumpster fire shows one ounce of tolerance or empathy for the other at the moment.
This has been our country for 2 hundred years. I don't care to be held accountable for what people did prior to that.
If you would like to stand by and talk peace to a person commuting aggrivated assault on someone trying to put out the fire in their business you are free to. I think you'd have a different position if it was Mormons burning your business and blaming you for everything anyone ever did while intoxicated.
I don't condone violence unless it's in self defense or the defense of innocent people.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
No one has said they are excited about killing anyone.
If you watch hardly any videos at all, it is very apparent that the rioters ARE excited about hurting and killing people, and about destroying businesses and lives.
The problem has to be stopped at some point, and how do YOU suggest you get these criminal animals to stop?
In the short term, I don't have an answer for that. But I will tell you that it is not taking justice into your own hands. Fighting fire with fire only ends with everything burned.
Talk to people who have differing opinions and listen to them. Yes, the antifa/Black Lives Matter Marxists are irrational and many of them are violent thugs looking for a reason to smash a window or burn a car. But, they are the minority. Yes, they have supporters on the other side of the political spectrum from many of us. Our job, as rational American citizens, is to convince those supporters that that cause is wrong. We do that by showing greater compassion and commitment to bettering our country, not tearing it down. Vote. Participate. Engage. That is how you stop this long term.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'd like to think there are enlightened people who'll be left standing, willing to work on what's broken after the equal-but-opposite people fight to destroy each other (rather than the issues).

Ha ha, that's about what this amounts to. I'd like to think that the real sleeping giant here is the silent majority that will eventually bring reason and accountability to it all.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
This has been our country for 2 hundred years. I don't care to be held accountable for what people did prior to that.
If you would like to stand by and talk peace to a person commuting aggrivated assault on someone trying to put out the fire in their business you are free to. I think you'd have a different position if it was Mormons burning your business and blaming you for everything anyone ever did while intoxicated.
I don't condone violence unless it's in self defense or the defense of innocent people.

If someone that was Mormon did that, I wouldn't blame Mormons. That's just an asshole. If a group identifies themselves as Mormon and were doing that in behalf of their beliefs, that's just a group of assholes. Group dynamics are a very dynamic thing to crack into though, and super relevant to this discussion.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Ha ha, that's about what this amounts to. I'd like to think that the real sleeping giant here is the silent majority that will eventually bring reason and accountability to it all.
I agree with this, but it can't happen until the fires stop. How do you do that? In every situation prior to this in the last 100 years it takes shooting a few rioters. Detroit, LA, watts and other riots all stopped when the risk to the rioting portion of the population was ramped up.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
If someone that was Mormon did that, I wouldn't blame Mormons. That's just an asshole. If a group identifies themselves as Mormon and were doing that in behalf of their beliefs, that's just a group of assholes. Group dynamics are a very dynamic thing to crack into though, and super relevant to this discussion.
I am not blaming all protestor nor saying they deserve to meet a violent end. I'm saying the guy with the torch needs to be dealt with. The guy knocking out old men saving their business needs to be dealt with.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ya, maybe, but don't you think that exact same logic applies to the other side too? No major social change has ever happened without causing some major damage?

Perhaps women's suffrage was pretty non violent? I paid nerds like Stephen in history class so I don't recall.

And maybe the old guy should have just stepped aside to save his fight for a bigger day. If there was a mob looting my brewery, I can tell you I'd be the last person out there with a fire extinguisher or rifle trying to defend it from the mob. It's just stuff. I have insurance and even without, that stuff isn't worth me killing or causing lifelong injury to someone. And my family is better served with a scorched brewery and a healthy me. You're all better for that part actually.

Would I defend my life and that of my friends, family, and innocent people in the face of a threat? Absolutely. Would I ****ing run into that situation looking for it? Absolutely not.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
In the short term, I don't have an answer for that. But I will tell you that it is not taking justice into your own hands. Fighting fire with fire only ends with everything burned.

Fighting fire with fire is exactly how wild fires are often fought. Place a controlled fire where you want to prevent the other fire from passing.

Yes, the antifa/Black Lives Matter Marxists are irrational and many of them are violent thugs looking for a reason to smash a window or burn a car. But, they are the minority.

So is the lunatic mass shooter, but that doesn't stop me from being blamed every time it happens.
And more important, so is the bad police officer.. but ACAB's, right?

Talk to people who have differing opinions and listen to them. We do that by showing greater compassion and commitment to bettering our country, not tearing it down. Vote. Participate. Engage. That is how you stop this long term.

This sounds great, and I will CONTINUE to do it, as I have for many years. But we ALSO need a short term solution.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Ya, maybe, but don't you think that exact same logic applies to the other side too? No major social change has ever happened without causing some major damage?

Perhaps women's suffrage was pretty non violent? I paid nerds like Stephen in history class so I don't recall.
I think blm and anTifa have turned people who care about racial divides away from the issue. If your family business is burned during a riot, it's hard not to hold a grudge.

If you read anything I've ever said about these riots, I've said it's unwise to go there with a gun and I'm as pro 2A as it gets. The idea of shooting another person is terrifying to me. The loonaticts at these events are trying to get people to shoot them. That is irrational and terrifying behavior to me. I'd avoid these areas and groups like the plague.
End of the day there is no way for a reasonable logical person to rationalize what is in the video I posted. Its not about equality the specific individuals are not fighting for the greater good. They are anarchists and opportunists.