pull pal vs wasp land anchor

dbach

interested in getting a land anchor for my winch . pull pal sounds like an excellent tool ,reviews on the internet are good only thing is the $ 400.00price .
saw ad for the wasp land anchor by smitty built for 150.00 .reviews are not very good most say they are junk , anybody have any insight or experience on these products ?

Tonkaman

I would never skimp on self recovery! You may only use it once after hauling it around for 10 years, but it damn well better work perfectly.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I was looking into them both awhile ago and the reviews said that the Wasp buries itself and keeps digging, without actually 'hooking' and becoming a recovery anchor.... so it's pretty much useless.

I ended up with a lightly used Pull Pall. :D

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
pull pal just works...

[video=youtube;fIN-6SJYY5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN-6SJYY5Y[/video]

fun starts at about 5:50

Thanks for the video, Steve

Tonkaman

Now think about how crappy the day would have become when you wasp anchor just wouldn't work. That tight river crossing would have been miserable to get out of without the anchor

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Just make sure you put your sunglasses on before 5:13.

:cody:

Now think about how crappy the day would have become when you wasp anchor just wouldn't work. That tight river crossing would have been miserable to get out of without the anchor
The jeep was sitting on both axles, all 4 wheels were spinning freely.
Steve was behind me in his runner on loose sand with about a 3' ledge to drag me up. Pretty unlikely that was going to get out that direction.
In front of me, several hundred yards of river gravel and sand before you even got to a sage brush.
Pull-Pal dragged for about 2 ft then dug in and set and the winch did it's thing. I had to winch almost 10' away from the water before the ground was solid enough to drive on.

Last edited:

pkrfctr

:cody:

The jeep was sitting on both axles, all 4 wheels were spinning freely.
Steve was behind me in his runner on loose sand with about a 3' ledge to drag me up. Pretty unlikely that was going to get out that direction.
In front of me, several hundred yards of river gravel and sand before you even got to a sage brush.
Pull-Pal dragged for about 2 ft then dug in and set and the winch did it's thing. I had to winch almost 10' away from the water before the ground was solid enough to drive on.

I've been stuck in that exact spot. It took two jeeps behind me and several pulls to get out.

sixstringsteve

If we hadn't had a pull pall with us, we would have had to turn around and head back at that point. Knowing we had a pull pal, we felt safe enough to try that water crossing. I'd never been at a crossing like that before. It was like driving in a fish tank. All the little pea gravel just gave way and left the jeep sitting on its axles. That was a really cool route, I need to go back there (with someone who has a pull pal and a winch). :)