Purpose of a stinger

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've never seen one help anyone. I have seen them get in the way, and cause rollovers. I've seen them prevent a rig from going somewhere it would have no problem going without one. They tend to dig into rock faces that you would otherwise be able to drive right past, or up. I have also seen them dig into the ground and prevent a rig from driving out of a rollover that they otherwise would be able to. As far as spotters in competition ising them to attach ropes, not any more. In most competitions spotters are no longer allowed to pull on straps. Too dangerous, er sumth'n. People put them on because they think they look cool. Opinion's vary... I think a very small stinger can look nice when it's done right. A radiator hoop that follows the lines of the body is more functional and I think it looks better.

fergusor

Cody said:
I think the only real purpose is to look stupid. Anyone that has gone over forwards can attest that they wouldn't do anything for you.

Did I mention they look rediculous?

Ive never gone over forward thanks to the stinger, but they are ugly. They have saved me alot of costs from damages from rolls that a would have smashed the front of the buggy few times.

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
I must be an idiot then because I built one for my rig. I once asked the same question though and the reason that was givin to me was because if you roll over the jeep will pivet on the stinger and the roll bar. But I also incorperated mine into a complete cow killer (brushguard).

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I built one for my old buggy, and It once stopped me from an endo.(tied into exo for strength) it once protected my hood in a rollover and it served well as leverage for a spotter strap, and in a few cases ramped me over a ledges that my front bumper would have stopped me from going over. That said, it was ugly and did cause me touble a couple of times getting in the way, my new rig does not have a stinger.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I think the most useful thing they could be for is mounting a camera on so you can take pictures of your sorry A@@ as you roll over because of it....

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
My stinger has saved my radiator several times. It may be ugly, but my rig is ugly-_- It has never stopped me from making anything though also

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
A low-profile radiator hoop will protect your radiator just as well as a stinger, without all the other drawbacks of a stinger.