Quick San Rafael Swell Expedition: May 11-13

Which area would you like to explore? (Only answer if you plan on attending)

• Total voters

bitshifter

We'll be there, in one car or another. My bro and his wife may come, but probably not at this point. I need to look into the mellow trail options though...

sixstringsteve

I'm trying to button up the details on this trip. I have updated post #2. Since I don't know who wants to run which trail, I made a guess. Let me know if you'd like me to put you on a different trail.

I'll pick a camping spot tonight.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I haven't been on it, but I think I'm good with Devils Racetrack. I've got 31s, a locker and a half, and bumpers/sliders. I'll be plus a wife and boy, by the way.

Last edited:

bitshifter

Thoughts / Suggestions for Easy Route

Hi everyone!

So I really don't know anything about the area other than what I've been reading for the past couple of hours online. My top request is that I want to see the Rochester Creek rock art panel, and I'd like to see some dinosaur tracks, and possibly spotting an eagle would be a nice bonus (I've been trying to get pictures of an eagle for over a year now since I got my new camera). I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery and take a lot of photos, but don't want to hold anyone up.

Depending on where we end up camping, I'm thinking about taking the Moore cutoff road to the Rochester Creek Rock Art Panel, then going down Miller Canyon Road back to I-70. I think all of this will be graded or paved, so I expect the driving to go pretty fast if we take this route on the easy drive, and may look into extending this loop. It looks like Eagle Canyon starts near Swasey's cabin, but I'm not sure where the hard route comes out. Does anyone else who is planning on the easy ride have other ideas? I haven't seen anyone volunteer to be the trail leader yet, so I'm just throwing out my suggestions at this point :).

As for hiking, I am really out of shape, and don't want to hold anyone back on hikes. I would prefer something with good views, not much elevation change, and not too scary as far as heights go (yeah, I'm a wuss). It sounds like there are some good trail options in the bottom of some canyons :).

sixstringsteve

I plan on camping a few miles from swasey's cabin (pint B on the map on post #1), heading out to the trails, and re-convening in a central location (probably swasey's again).

Bitshifter, the route you have planned sounds like a great one, would you like to be the trail leader on that run? I've never been on any of those roads, but I think you're right, they should make for fast travel. You'll probably want to extend your route a bit, unless you really want to take a couple hours at the rock panel. If it were me, I'd extend into cathedral valley a little bit. I've never been in there, and it's supposed to be beautiful. Just a thought.

Another cool option is the buckhorn art panel. There is some amazing art down there, but it's pretty touristy with little info kiosks and stuff. Still a very cool place to explore, and a VERY easy dirt road (it even has a speed limit).

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I have updated post #1 with our campsite (point B). For those joining us on Saturday, make sure you know how to get there and meet us at the camp spot. It's faster to take 191 from price if you're in a hurry.

Is anyone planning on staying Saturday night? I figure we can use the same campsite the second night, unless anyone has a better idea.

bitshifter

Sure, I guess I'll be trail leader even though I've never been there :). I think we could either add Buckhorn wash and see the panels there, maybe even go up to the wedge overlook and make the loop into Emery. The other option could be cathedral valley, as you suggested.

It sounds like a lot of road driving vs. wheeling, but if everyone is ok with that, we could see a lot of places. Plus if we end up in town, we'd at least have some options with running water and flush toilets (which at least a few people might appreciate :).

Does anyone have some spare handheld CB radios or walkie talkies? I don't have either yet.

sixstringsteve

there's not much wheeling in the swell, more backcountry dirt road exploring. The only real wheeling I've been able to find is Devil's Racetrack, Eagle Canyon, and Fix it Pass. And even those are pretty tame.

I don't have a handheld CB, just my in-dash one. One option is to purchase an in-dash CB and never install it, along with a magnetic roof-mount antenna. Just wire it to a cigarette lighter jack, and pack it in the truck when you go on trips, and remove it when you're done.

DAA

I'm not going to make this one I'm afraid. Still digging out of the pile that accumulated while I was gone last week and my Jeep is throwing a bunch of codes that I need to try and get sorted out before it goes out again.

Y'all have a good one!

- DAA

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have updated post #1 with our campsite (point B). For those joining us on Saturday, make sure you know how to get there and meet us at the camp spot. It's faster to take 191 from price if you're in a hurry.

Is anyone planning on staying Saturday night? I figure we can use the same campsite the second night, unless anyone has a better idea.

At least Saturday night. My boy is out of school that week and I don't have to be at work until midnight Monday, so we might stay out Sunday night too.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
switch us to eagle canyon steve. We will see you guys saturday morning, or later in the day if we need to catch up

FatTony

ok i am in for sure. i might have two others with me not sure yet with them. i would like to be in group two on the Saturday. i will met up with every one on the freeway around south orem.