Ram Rebel?

cackalak

I'm looking for a full size truck to be used as a daily driver and family adventures around Utah/Co/etc. With 2 kids, our Tacoma was just a little too tight. With #3 coming soon, we need to go full size. We thought about getting another 100-series LC, but I would like a truck bed this time.

First thought was a Tundra, but it's thirsty engine and now a revision coming soon, I dismissed that idea.

Silverado looks good, but the rear room is tight. I do like the off road package with the locking rear diff.

Then I looked at the Rebel. Looks like it's fairly capable stock. It's a little more than an F150 or Silverado, but with the stock "mods", I think it looks to be a better value. No rear locker though (LSD available). Any input on this vehicle? Thanks.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
It was designed to compete against the Ford Rapture... so I do not know why it would only have the limited slip diff. I have not seen one on the roads... you might look at the powerwagen from Ram instead it comes with a 10k winch built in to the front and comes rolling on 35inch tires.

Utahtrucker

I have the 2013 F150 supercrew lariat with 3.5 ltr ecoboost,3.73 gear w/e-locker and offroad package, Ive yet to take it trail riding, but this is comming soon!!
10317732_10202543162474066_608799147044749665_o.jpg

Last edited:

cackalak

Thanks for the responses. The Power Wagon is way overkill for me. I don't need a 3/4 ton truck, nor 35" tires, much less the poor mpg. (Although I did see one at IKEA a couple of days ago and I won't lie: it looked good). I've had no issues with a relatively stock Tacoma, so anything that will have good ground clearance and 4wd should do fine. At most, I'll go with a leveling kit and 33" tires.

Ford looks good as well. The 2.7L Ecoboost seems to make most sense for capability and MPG. I can get a locker without the fx4 package, which is a plus as well. And a 36 gal tank would mean lots of gas to go exploring deep into the remote territories.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I had a 2011 extended cab F150 and a 2012 super crew, never did anything too serious in either. I did Potash Road, Gemini Bridges and Long Canyon probably the most "technical" I could say I drove them on. Even on those, well, pretty much roads, I was scraping my belly on the littlest of things. If you go full-size i'd plan on the shortest wheel base that works for you, and plan on a mild lift to save your under carriage. I have not looked into the new rebel, but I sure would take a new raptor if it were in my budget

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I saw one on Bangerter last week, the bed sides were interesting, it looked more like a Ram upgrade package vs a Raptor competitor.

After messing around on Ram's site for a bit, I could be wrong but the Rebel appears to be nothing more than an appearance package to me. I guess Dempsey would be the expert I would turn to here.

EDIT: After further digging, in addition to the appearance package. The rebel comes standard with the air ride system, which is programmed with a 1 inch taller ride height. Also comes with Toyo 33's and Bilstein shocks.

So no, not a raptor competitor. But slightly more off-road than other packages.

The outdoorsman is a few thousand cheaper, doesn't have the fancy looks. But comes with the bigger fuel tank, limited slip, skid plates, tow hooks and the big bonus you can get the eco diesel in it.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I would get an EcoBoost. Big rear seat, tons of power, you can get the e-locker which works great, the big fuel tank, put a leveling kit with so 295s and it will be very capable.

boogie_4wheel

+1 on an Ecoboost Ford. The F150 back seat is huge compared to the other Big-2, and the more leg room for the kiddos while they are in car seats, the better. My Dodge is the scrunched quad cab and my poor 4yo; she has to ride in the middle and sets her feet on the center console. The car seats just push them forward.
If I were to buy buy a new half-ton to replace my 3/4-Dodge, it would be between the F150 (3.5L) and the Ram Ecodiesel. The Ford would do me better for my little toy hauler (would max the Ram), but the economy of the Ecodiesel would be nice for the other 90+% of driving... If you don't do a lot of towing, a think a F150 loaded with the 2.7L and the rear locker would be a good fit. Pick your bed length and go. I have yet to ride in a new Ram with the coil rear or air ride.

For what it's worth, my parents have a '14 Ram 1-ton in Laramie trim. While very nice, clean, appealing, good fit and finish, the 8.4 infotainment system with half of the controls being knobs/buttons and the other half requiring the touchscreen is something that needs improvement. And the seats feel like crap on day 2 of a 1300mi trip; short term they feel nice but after being in them for long periods my '05 feels more comfortable.

rholbrook

I went and looked at the new 1/2 ton Rams, I just can't get past the poor excuse for the center seat in the back. Why would they do that to the back seat? It would help sales if they had a MegaCab in the 1/2 ton. I just can't give up my EcoBoost. I love everything about that truck.

rholbrook

Ford says an F150 with the 3.5l Ecoboost will tow north of 10,000 pounds, is that legit?
There is no doubt it will do it but I would never do it for a long distance. Its just not a 3/4 or 1 ton. Its just not heavy enough to safely do it in my opinion. Thats not because Ford says its not, I just don't feel safe doing it. I have pulled pushing 10K pounds to the dump. It felt fine but I can't wrap my head around pulling that much for a long distance.

Jesser04

I have personally seen the Eco boosts pull and they pull strong. My only hold up on owning one myself is the half ton I am a 3/4 or one ton truck kinda guy. I wish ford would put the eco boost in a full size truck it's got plenty of pulling power.

cackalak

Am I reading this right? According to the specs, the rear seats in the F150 are bigger than Tundra Crewmax...

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I just gave up my F150 with the ecoboost to put my wife in a newer vehicle. I had the long bed, crew cab without the max tow. It doesn't matter now, but I wish I had the max tow package. I towed my BIL's fzj80 to Moab, and the truck had more than enough power and braking, but more support in the rear suspension would have put me at ease. If I could afford it, I would have kept that truck and bought the wife something else. As it is, I traded my truck for a 2016 Explorer with the same 3.5l ecoboost engine, and that thing SCREAMS! It is a blast to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
im waiting a year or two until the couple issues with the ram ecodiesel get sorted out and then im pulling the trigger on one of those. cheaper than the ford and about 10mpg better. slightly less towing capacity than the ford. its not as fun as the ecoboost to drive but i need something i can afford to drive to work and tow my buggy.

1993yj

Those ecodiesel engines are nice, but it looks like they are not even an option in the Rebel? I wouldn't get a Rebel based on those awful tread embossed seats alone, but then again I just switched from a 3/4 ton Ram to an F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost.