Ford Raptor: still douchey?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Been getting the hankering to modify my tundra. 2021, 43k miles, purchased new. I have a winch bumper/winch, TRD pro fox suspension, trd pro skid plate, all in a pile waiting for install. Considering supercharger for moar power.

However…

Every time I’ve modified vehicles I lose money. My philosophy has been for a while to buy what I am looking for as close to factory as possible, or buy a vehicle already modded where someone else takes the hit. So I’ve hesitated to modify the tundra.

Then my wife reveals that she thinks the raptors are good looking and why don’t I have one.

Please advise - modify tundra or buy a raptor?

Tundra pros:
-Toyota simplicity, reliability
-I don’t intend to sell
-Mild mannered aesthetics
-I have it in my driveway

Tundra cons:
-needs a regear for my 35’s or supercharger. Lacking power. Not really, but I would like more power 😁
- no lockers from factory
-does supercharger negate Toyota reliability? I don’t see 200k mi supercharged motors on the forums.
-I never intend to sell, but eventually do anyway

Raptor pros:
-only mods needed are decal delete, sliders?
-electric hummer, TRX, braptor, maybe cybertruck taking place of raptor as Douche Bro truck of choice
-wife likes?
- ford tech - big screen, 360 cameras

Raptor cons:
- $$$ - not sure if it’s possible to buy correctly to avoid massive depreciation? I made money on both my broncos but the market has shifted
- ford tech - flashing lights and buzzing sounds, messages, nannies
-maybe still douchey

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I used to say dentists drive Corvette’s and then Ryan said no, they drive Raptor’s now. FFWD a bit and a new neighbor moved in across the street. He’s a dentist and he totally drives a Raptor.

I’ve never even been in one but they are cool looking and in theory I would enjoy driving one.

J-mobzz

Plenty of flat-bill-wearing Monster-drinking cottoncandy-vaping jackasses driving Tundras too, who cares? Raptors are sweet.
This… I think Toyota trucks have just as many middle aged men with American fighter t shirts driving around as the fords do. I think the raptor is a cool truck and I personally haven’t ever seen one on the road and thought oh that guys probably a douche.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just embrace it.

S05E12-aohrfhiw-subtitled.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
so wait for Toyota to do the TRD thing with a high-output TTV6 Tundra

I can't locate where I saw it, but there was an aftermarket build kind of place that wanted to do an Ecoboost Raptor when the F-150 ecoboost first came out and it was cheaper to put all of the raptor suspension on an EB F-150 than it was to buy a crate EcoBoost and put it in a Raptor.

rholbrook

My buddy got his Raptor R a few months ago. His old Raptor had the suspension worked on and it was really nice. His new "R" totally kicks ass. I lover the sound of the super charger and it flat hauls ass. When you can being going 30-40 mph and shove your foot to the floor board with sport mode on and in 2wd and it starts billowing smoke from the rear wheelwell......it kicks ass. With the newer F150s, you put it in sport mode, it puts it in 4wd automatically but you can put in back in 4wd and stay in sport mode.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I had a 2014 1st gen 6.2L Raptor. I loved the V8 motor. I traded it in 2018 on my moto van because I did not want a payment along with all the expenses of racing. 2019 I got out of the 5th wheel and no longer needed a dually so sold that and we traded in the Durango RT for a 2nd gen Raptor in 2020. The ride in the 2020 is light years better than the 1st gen Raptors. And in all honesty, the EB motor runs much better than the 6.2…..it just doesn’t sound as cool.

I love the truck. It is super comfortable on long trips.

OrangeSkidPlate

I have a buddy with a 2007 Tundra that he threw a blower on at 214k, now at 296k. Says he played with HP tuners to get it running properly. 8 PSI at 5500 ft, 10-11 around 3000 ft and claimed (unsure how true this is) 490hp/580tq to the wheels with deeper gearing and 35's. Again, unsure of power claims but he thrashes that truck and its held up incredibly well.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I have a buddy with a 2007 Tundra that he threw a blower on at 214k, now at 296k. Says he played with HP tuners to get it running properly. 8 PSI at 5500 ft, 10-11 around 3000 ft and claimed (unsure how true this is) 490hp/580tq to the wheels with deeper gearing and 35's. Again, unsure of power claims but he thrashes that truck and its held up incredibly well.
IMG_6203.jpeg

Is this him? Snivs Speed shop?