Rattle/Con. signs... Go Time...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So, OCNORB is officially my hero... the signs are done and look stellar!

What was the final concensus on the construction...

1. Were we going to back up the cut plate with a solid one?

2. What paint, if any did we plan to use?

3. What is our material of choice for the pole?

4. Who had pipe/tube that they could donate?

MBryson, are you going to pick up the signs from OCNORB and get them down this way for further work?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Skyetone said:
I'm about install.. and water. when is the rough time to install? a week two weeks ?

Well, realistically it is going to take a week, mabey two, to get the sign completed. That puts us mid-November. Nov 15th is the Wild Yoats Thanksgiving food drive and I would hate to deter anyone from helping out with that...

So... lets tentativly shoot for Nov 22nd, of course weather permitting... Who is good to go on this date?

As far as pouring the concrete when it is cold... any of you construction experts care to give us the 411 on winter concrete pouring (of course this will only be two, one-foot holes)

Caleb

I've got some misc square tube of various sizes and lengths that are free to use...I should be (as of now) good for the 22nd...

OCNORB

Supporting Member
The signs are completed as far as I know.

1. I welded the 3/8" plate that Hickey brought over to the back- It's hard to see in the pictures I guess.

2. The paint is done on the front.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=6767&page=2

Mbryson- I will be home on Friday, most of Sat and Sunday. Thursday after 6 will be hit and miss. I'll P.M. you my #.

I would like to help with the install, but I don't have a rig that would make it right now. :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
OCNORB said:
The signs are completed as far as I know.

1. I welded the 3/8" plate that Hickey brought over to the back- It's hard to see in the pictures I guess....

Great, so we just need to attatch it to the pole (whatever material we choose) and they are ready to install?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
supergper said:
I've got some misc square tube of various sizes and lengths that are free to use...I should be (as of now) good for the 22nd...

Anything that would suit itself well to being a sign pole? Thick, strong, cheap?

gtidrivr

i would be happy to supply some tubing for these signs
someone just let me know how much and of what

and the 22nd sounds like a good time

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OCNORB said:
I would like to help with the install, but I don't have a rig that would make it right now. :(

You can get to the Trail Head of each trail in a stock 4x4 easy enough.

Or, I'm sure there'd be room in somebody elses rig, since your the one who made the signs possible!

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
cruiseroutfit said:
Well, realistically it is going to take a week, mabey two, to get the sign completed. That puts us mid-November. Nov 15th is the Wild Yoats Thanksgiving food drive and I would hate to deter anyone from helping out with that...

So... lets tentativly shoot for Nov 22nd, of course weather permitting... Who is good to go on this date?

As far as pouring the concrete when it is cold... any of you construction experts care to give us the 411 on winter concrete pouring (of course this will only be two, one-foot holes)

Bring some hay to cover it with while it's curing. That should help keep the warmth in. It's still not going to be as strong as if you had poured it during the middle o the summer, but it will be stronger than ifyou just left it out. A plus with the hay is that you can pretty much leave it with a free conscience, as hay is biodegradable, and will blow away should a good wind pick up.

I would just hate to pour concrete with the groudn frozen... Going to take a whiles to dig a hole. Also, if you want the sign to stay put, dig down at elast 3 feet.

Just my 1/50 of a dollar.

-James H.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Greg said:
You can get to the Trail Head of each trail in a stock 4x4 easy enough.

Or, I'm sure there'd be room in somebody elses rig, since your the one who made the signs possible!

I am ashamed to admit to having THREE 4x4's that are fairly capable, but two aren't liscenced and the one that is needs a major overhaul. (We're talking ground up. New axles , new motor, new roll cage and a ton of body work. Did I really wheel this rig in the spring and if so, how???

I don't think the ground will be frozen if we do it in the next couple of weeks. Usually these early storms blow through and it warms back up. Winter didn't even start 'til late Dec last year.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
OCNORB said:
I am ashamed to admit to having THREE 4x4's that are fairly capable, but two aren't liscenced and the one that is needs a major overhaul. (We're talking ground up. New axles , new motor, new roll cage and a ton of body work. Did I really wheel this rig in the spring and if so, how???

I don't think the ground will be frozen if we do it in the next couple of weeks. Usually these early storms blow through and it warms back up. Winter didn't even start 'til late Dec last year.

You'll find a seat if you have to take the wife's ZJ....You're there.....

I can pick up tomorrow after about 11 am pretty easily.....

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
mbryson said:
You'll find a seat if you have to take the wife's ZJ....You're there.....

I can pick up tomorrow after about 11 am pretty easily.....

OK, so Mbryson has the signs and might be swinging them over to me today...

Next is the pole material...

I know several have contacted me about donating material... but what do we want... stronger the better, there is no overkill in this design... :D

Vonski, gtidriver, supergpr... what ya'll got?
(yes I just said ya'll)

gtidrivr

how tall does it need to be?? i have piece of 3/8" 3" dia. dom from a drive line that we could use, its only like 36"'s though, or i have a length of 2x4 square tubing 1/4 wall we could use or...

let me know

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Two 6 foot lengths of pipe, at least 3" in diameter. Four feet above ground, 2 buried. We can fill the pipe with concrete if we want to after it is in the ground. All we need to do is get the pipe welded to the sign in advance.

I can round up a post auger, can bring a wheelbarrow, water, hoe and shovels, and sack-crete. Getting it in the ground will be easy. Shooting for that date in Nov should be OK, we only need a few people to do it (but we will take as many as want to come!)

EZ

gtidrivr

ok i have the 12 feet of square tubing where do i take them?? and when the hole's moved out of the house i bought they left some post mix bags like 5 or 6 of em' if you want then too or ill just throw them away... let me know