Rattlesnake on the 4th

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by 1\4elliptic toy
NO it's stock steering bearing, the birf peices got jamed down in the bearing and totaled it.

Peices of the broken birf got jammed down in your lower trunnion bearing??? When both my birfs broke they were lots of larger chunks but never enough to chew up the bearing...crazy...

Oh yeah the trunnion bearing is Timken 30303 or Koyo 30303D... the Koyo bearing has a little steeper bearing angle and some say it lasts longer than the timken but I have had zero problems with Timkens... Good Luck get us some pictures:D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by mbryson

Lil' Bird....you talked to EZ already?

Wow!!! you heard already???? I'm just going out to 'fix' (even though Shawn and Kurt did an admirable job of putting my junk back together for the drive home......

Conclusions learned for the day....
1) 297 joints are FRAGILLLLLEEEEyy {pronounced 'fragilay'} and when they go they knock out the ball joints on a D30....

2) D30 ball joints have no c-clips holding them in. News to me and maybe the welder will get broken out to ensure that they stay in next time....

3) 2WD high kind of sucks to drive out on, but as long as I DRIVE out, EVERYTHING is good!!! ARB does work in 2WD (why wouldn't it, but I've never thought of using it there.....)

Golfing is cheaper than a bad day on the trail, but I'll go on any runs I can with the group that was out there! Thanks for everybody's help and ideas. Now where's that new driver...??? oh, yeah, it's kind of cold for that...:D
Nope, not EZ, different bird. Did EZ go? So, did it knowck the knuckle right off? Wow...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by 1\4elliptic toy

I thought you could'nt break a SUPERBIRF. I guess that i get added to the list of those who have :eek: It blew up and took out the bearing with it. Oh well at least i bought mine before the warranty changed:D
You broke a Longfield? Wow! Even Vaughn has a tough time doing that! My bird told me it was just a hub, not a superbirf. I'm impressed.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by RockMonkey

Nope, not EZ, different bird. Did EZ go? So, did it knowck the knuckle right off? Wow...

EZ passed me on the way home.....scared me a little.........he's busy tearing his down to make it purty....

fcd491d9.jpg

It took out the top ball joint and knocked the lower one out (it's just pressed in anyway). I'm trying to decide if I want to build something out of a YJ with some D60's or D60/14 bolt (probably more of a CJ or something) and run some bigger tires or what. The 297 joint broke way too easy for my taste (that's 3 years of locked wheeling with 1 year of 32", 1 1/2 of 33" Swamper, and 6 months of 35") and the axle was 'splined' (splines were 'torqued' or whatever) and would have broken PDQ anyway.

I've got to know....who's the other little bird??

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
JeepinJoe called me on his way back home, and mentioned that you and 1/4ellip had some problems. He also brought over his bro's longarm ZJ. It looks pretty good, but needs some tweeking.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by mbryson

EZ passed me on the way home.....scared me a little.........he's busy tearing his down to make it purty....

I'm trying to decide if I want to build something out of a YJ with some D60's or D60/14 bolt (probably more of a CJ or something) and run some bigger tires or what. [/B][/QUOTE]
Want to buy Britney? Might be selling the body and frame and a few other things, cheap. The tube buggy bug has bit hard.:D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Jeremy

Want to buy Britney? Might be selling the body and frame and a few other things, cheap. The tube buggy bug has bit hard.:D

I've been trying to come up with a way to 'budget' something like that.....Haven't come up with a way yet, but if I do, I'll take a look at 'Britney'.....