RECIPES

rholbrook

One of my wife's most requested recipes is Charshew. It very popular around this time of year. Thought I would share. Your guests will not be dissappointed.

CHARSHEW
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Molasses
4 tsp Ketchup
1 glove Garlic crushed
PORK TENDERLOINS

Mix above ingredients and marinate pork tenderloin a minimum of 2 hours but over night is the best. We usually will marinate 4 tenderloins in this amount of marinate. Costco has great tenderloins.

put marinate and tenderloings in a pan or two depending on how many you got. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour basting atleast every 20 minutes using the marinate in the pans.

When done, slice in thin slices, sprinkle sesame seeds on top.

Sauce
Mix equal amounts of ketchup and brown sugar. Usually 1 1/2 cups of each is enough.

additional sauces that is good is a hot mustard. Get the hot mustard powder and make a little. A little goes a long way with this.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I could play this game for days...

Skewered Southwest Flank Steak:

~2 lbs flank steak
lay flat, partially freeze, slice at about a 45* angle (to the plane of the cutting board) straight across the grain, about 1/4" thick​

Marinade, blend till smooth
6 large cloves garlic
6 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 tbsp ground cumin
the stems from a bundle of cilantro (just chop off where the leaves start)​

put steak and marinade in a 1-gal ziplock bag and knead until the steak is well coated.
Marinate for at least an hour, kneading a few times.

Skewer and Grill

Leftovers make really tasty quesadillas don't they DAA

Chili:

1lb ground beef or game
1lb ground pork
1 med onion, diced
3 lg cloves garlic, diced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp ground Cumin
1 tbsp oregano
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp Chili Powder
3 14.5 oz cans tomato sauce
Olive oil to brown the meat

brown the meat then saute the onion and garlic till soft
add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 2-3 hours
I serve with rice. (SixstringSteve has had this one)

I have a pretty decent gumbo recipe as well but it's a bit involved. If there is interest I'll put it up.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Here ya go Kevin

Gumbo: (adapted from a recipe from gumbocity.com)
Ingredients​
1 1/4 cup oil​
1 3/4 cup flour​
2 large onions, chopped​
2 large poblano peppers, chopped (poblanos have mild heat but DAA's kids inhaled this stuff)​
4 ribs celery, chopped​
6 cloves garlic, minced​
8 14.5 oz cans low-salt chicken broth​
2 bay leaves​
2 teaspoons creole seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's)​
1 tsp thyme​
2 lbs smallish shrimp with shells on (important)​
2 lbs andouille sausage ( get the good stuff, the best I've found around here is at Pirate O's)​
2 lbs roasted/smoked chicken meat (I do this myself, but a roasted one from the store is fine)​
Chop all of the veggies and set aside (they all go into the gumbo at the same time so they can go into the same bowl)​
Cut the sausage in half lengthwise, slice 1/4" thick, brown thoroughly in a skillet and discard fat. set sausage aside​
Peel the shrimp. KEEP THE SHELLS. cut the tails into bite size pieces and set aside in refrigerator.​
Put shells in a saucepan and add enough chicken broth to cover. bring to boil and simmer for 30 min.​
Now comes the roux. have the veggies ready on the side.​
If you have never made a dark roux before, this can be a bit daunting.​
This will get quite smokey before it is done. It can be done outside on a camp stove or inside if your range hood is up to the task.​
If it is not, you WILL find out if the batteries are still good in your smoke detectors.​
Add oil and flour to a heavy bottom 12 qt or larger stockpot or dutch oven (you can make do with 8qt if you are careful but it gets really full at the end). Cook over medium heat until it starts to darken significantly then reduce to low. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the roux reaches about the color of milk chocolate. It will be smoking at this point.​
_MG_0007.JPG
White paper towel to let me set the white balance​
Note: If you get the roux too dark, just dump it and start over. At this point you've only invested some oil, flour, and time. The remaining ingredients are not cheap and there is no reason to waste them with a burned roux.
Immediately dump the veggies in and quickly stir them into the roux to cool it and keep it from burning.​
Turn up the heat and cook veggies until soft.​
Pour the chicken broth with shrimp shells through a strainer into the roux and veggies. add remaining broth, spices, and sausage.​
Bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 hours, uncovered to reduce the volume some. After a couple hours I skim the fat off (I usually get almost a cup), add chicken, bring to a simmer again, add the shrimp, simmer about 10 min and serve.​
We serve it over rice, but that's a southern thing, really good with crusty french bread or jalapeno corn bread.​
The three most important things in this recipe​

1. [*=1]The quality of the sausage
    [*=1]Using the shrimp shells as described
    [*=1]Getting the roux dark enough.
This makes a bunch and freezes really well.​
Bon Appetite​

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Soft Caramels
1 c heavy cream
4 tbs unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c sugar
1/4 c corn syrup
1/4 c water
1/2 t vanilla

1- Line 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper and coat with non stick spray.

2- Melt butter and salt in the cream over medium heat in a 2 quart saucepan.

3- In a 4 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir until its a thick paste then wipe down sides of pan so there aren't any sugar crystals above surface of mixture. (This ensures that all the sugar is dissolved) Clip instant read thermometer to side of pan. DO NOT STIR AFTER THIS POINT! (You need the larger saucepan because the mixture will boil over when you combine the stuff later on. Don't want to lose the gooey goodness to the stove top.)4- Cook the sugar mixture over medium to medium-high heat. Allow it to boil without stirring. At about 250* the sugar will turn transparent and boil rapidly. Around 320* the sugar will darken and smell caramel like. Move on when the sugar is between 250* and 325*.

EDIT: (Cooking to higher temp will result in firmer caramels that can be wrapped. Cooking to the lower temp range will leave you with a sauce in the end. If you want cuttable and wrapable caramels cook to about 320*.)

5- Slowly pour in the cream/butter while whisking. The sugar syrup will triple in size. Stop whisking when all the cream/butter has been added.

6- Put the pan back on medium to medium-high heat and let it boil again without stirring. Remove the caramel when it reaches 245*-250*.

7- Immediately whisk in the vanilla.

8- Pour caramels into the 8x8 mold and knock pan to get air bubbles out.

9- Let the caramel set for a couple hours. I'm not patient so I usually stick them in the refrigerator. Once cooled cut them up and wrap in wax paper or just eat them all.

10- Mmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
R

rockdog

Frieed, when you make the roux, what consistency will it be? Like a paste?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
nate: Poor wording on my part. I was wondering where the "between 250*" part came from after you already got to 320*
is it good to go anywhere between 250* and 325* as long is it smells like caramel or did you mean between 320* and 325*?

rockdog: with this flour/wateroil ratio the roux will still be fairly liquid. I did it this way since it makes it easier control and the excess oil gets skimmed off later.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My bad, I'll edit to clarify the recipe. Basically if you want caramels that'll harden up and you can cut and wrap cook to the higher temp, if you want like a sauce for dipping stuff into cook to the lower temp.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'll sponsor the learning to weld class, but one of you should sponsor the learning to cook class. Frieed?:D