Recommended Virus Scanner (Online)?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just happen to be working on a computer that a friend brought by (she actually brought two....wheeeee). One I have worked on before and added my free McAfee virus scan from Comcast.

The one with the McAfee (comcast), it's fixed already. The definitions were out of date (user disabled I'd assume as I have them automagically update themselves) and once I updated McAfee, it ran a scan and fixed my issues.

On to the next computer that has NO anti-virus and has a known viri from a "Hot MILF" site.... :rolleyes:

This could be fun?

Kurt: The AntiVirus 2009 program is killable from a Microsoft anti-spyware scanner. I don't remember the link, but if you search the MS site, you should get the URL. I had someone at the ad agency I used to work at download that exact viri and I just ran the scanner from MS and it found the AV 2009. I'll look it up in a few minutes? Very impressive

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displayLang=en#
MS Windoze Malicious software removal tool
It's only found 23 viri so far. Maybe 5% done with the scan.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
......Kurt: The AntiVirus 2009 program is killable from a Microsoft anti-spyware scanner. I don't remember the link, but if you search the MS site, you should get the URL. I had someone at the ad agency I used to work at download that exact viri and I just ran the scanner from MS and it found the AV 2009. I'll look it up in a few minutes? Very impressive

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displayLang=en#
MS Windoze Malicious software removal tool
It's only found 23 viri so far. Maybe 5% done with the scan.

AVG is still scanning the computer in SAFE mode. Fingers crossed. Otherwise I'll need help with a full format and reload :sick:

I believe the MS Malicious Software thingy would be well worth your time if AVG doesn't work out. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Well, I couldn't get the Microsoft product to download. Could it be this XP version is not legit? It downloaded on my other computer just fine?

I bit the bullet, paid the $30 to PC Tools. It just did a sweep and said it was able to clear off all of the viruses. Dumb move mabey, but I need to use this computer for work tomorrow. I do have another desktop I would like to format and reload. It has a legit copy of XP but I don't know if I have the install discs, will other discs work? Anyone have their copy I could use to reload? Office?

Going to restart this computer in a minute and see if the virus comes back.

yakinaked

Comes over Saturday, I'll try to come with him and I'll fix it for you. Be prepared for some Taco questions while I work on it though...

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Well, I couldn't get the Microsoft product to download. Could it be this XP version is not legit? It downloaded on my other computer just fine?

I bit the bullet, paid the $30 to PC Tools. It just did a sweep and said it was able to clear off all of the viruses. Dumb move mabey, but I need to use this computer for work tomorrow. I do have another desktop I would like to format and reload. It has a legit copy of XP but I don't know if I have the install discs, will other discs work? Anyone have their copy I could use to reload? Office?

Going to restart this computer in a minute and see if the virus comes back.

For XP, you're going to need the serial number, more than the install disc's. Steve can handle the XP disc ;) and Office I am sure, since that's where I got my copy.

How'd the restart go?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
We'll I feel suckered. The computer was running great, I rebooted to test the virus deletion and low and behold it fires right back up :rolleyes:

Virus is called "xtgoj6119471.exe"

Links:
http://forums.techguy.org/malware-r...s/776019-hijackthis-log-xtgoj6119471-exe.html
http://www.spywareremovalblog.com/remove-xtgoj6119471exe/

So guess what happens when you download the "Removal Utliity" on spywareblog... You get linked to PC Tools. You download their software and it finds it, but then you have to buy their full version and it deletes it. So you think, you restart and its back and immediately starts launching fake popups mimicking Windows Firewall Messages. Click on the message and you go to some website selling spyware software. :eek:

Steve, you still want to come talk about Tacomas :D

Brett

Meat-Hippy
They had me until
"Run OTmoveIt3, copy,then paste the following text in “Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved” window (under the yellow bar):"

You serious about Saturday? I'm more than willing to help with UJ's!

Serious, it's no problem. Steve's got everything you need and I can help as well. UJ's are just a pain since I have no vice available ;)

I'll talk to Steve and see what time is good Saturday. We'll get you up and running :)