Record Snow pack, floods next?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
And it's going to be what, 75*'s next week? So much for a slow warmup!

giphy.gif

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Went up to cache valley to see my folks, sardine canyon is crazy, snow almost to the top of the deer fence, I think my folks still have a foot + of snow in the yard. Could get interesting if it warms up.

Coco

Went and checked my sump pump the other day to see if it works. It wasn't plugged in when we bought the house, didn't really think much of it, but apparently our house has flooded a couple times in the past... But another neighbor said the whole neighborhood flooded back in '08 I think it was when we had that sudden huge rain storm. Anyway, 'twas not working (sounds seized - hear the solenoid kick on but nothing else). The new one arrived from the blue truck earlier this week. Waiting on a couple other small pieces then it will get put in. I don't think we will have an issue, but I would much rather be safe than sorry. I need to check the other in the backyard now that I think of it also.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I ran 100’ of garden hose from my backyard to the front to remedy the water pooling from the quick snow melt. It was better than having it run under the concrete IMO. I had to manually start the siphon a couple times and my wife was freaking out 🤣

I was like it’s just dirty water 🤷🏼‍♂️

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I ran 100’ of garden hose from my backyard to the front to remedy the water pooling from the quick snow melt. It was better than having it run under the concrete IMO. I had to manually start the siphon a couple times and my wife was freaking out 🤣

I was like it’s just dirty water 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sucking on hose...

"I learned it by watching you!"

Coco

BTW - thanks for posting this. I ordered one that day. Just used it to get water out of a window well that was filling up.

Gonna be a fun week!
I didn't get that exact Wayne, but I did get a Wayne version. Glad I don't have any window wells to worry about, but its still a soggy yard for sure.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Went and checked my sump pump the other day to see if it works. It wasn't plugged in when we bought the house, didn't really think much of it, but apparently our house has flooded a couple times in the past... But another neighbor said the whole neighborhood flooded back in '08 I think it was when we had that sudden huge rain storm. Anyway, 'twas not working (sounds seized - hear the solenoid kick on but nothing else). The new one arrived from the blue truck earlier this week. Waiting on a couple other small pieces then it will get put in. I don't think we will have an issue, but I would much rather be safe than sorry. I need to check the other in the backyard now that I think of it also.
Before you toss that sump, set it in some water. It may have some kind of float for a switch.

Coco

Figured I would update this - and with that update comes a story. Earlier in the season, we had our water regulator go out (over pressurizing the house) well we needed to check what the pressure was after I put the new regulator on. I hooked it up to the front hose spicket and instead of pressurizing and stopping, I heard running water... Well, it broke and put some water into our lower level bathroom. I feared the backyard one was also broke (I was an idiot and didn't disconnect the hoses from either spicket over winter and just assumed the rear was broke too) well prepping for our trip this weekend, I need to fill the trailer. So I got in the crawlspace while my wife turned on the rear spicket. Luckily that one did not break and held pressure.

Now for the update - While I was in the crawlspace I went over to see what the bucket was looking like since I hadn't got the parts yet to get that taken care of. There was about 2-4" of water in the bucket. I started looking at the pipes that connected to it, and over to the main line. I found some stuff that really annoyed me. I found the dirt around the pipe really wet. I found a broken hose clamp at one of the connections and figured it was allowing water to seep into the dirt, and work its way to the pump bucket. I got a new clamp on there, and in doing so felt a drip of water. I looked up at the pipe that connects higher to the main line from the sump pump, and could see water at the bottom. Whoever installed the sump pump originally half assed the job. All the PVC that led to the main line were just pressed in, no glue, no rubber fittings, nothing. The line had water in it back to the check valve. I pressed the fittings together as tight as I could, drained the water from the pipe, then got some PVC glue and glued all the connections together. The next day I got all the parts to swap the pump and get it taken care of. All the lines were still dry that I glued, so I am hoping the water in the bucket was just self caused. I checked my back pump in the yard, and it was completely dry, so I am thinking this was from leaking pipes.
Before you toss that sump, set it in some water. It may have some kind of float for a switch.

I tried when I got it apart, and it wouldn't even pump air. The new one was quiet, but I could feel the air it was pumping when on, and you are correct, they have float valves on them and that is when they turn on.

Last edited: