Recovery rig thoughts

LT.

The workmanship is excellent. ChestonScout had told me that he would drive this thing everyday once it is done. Pretty amazing to hear that come from him. He bleeds International orange and Ford blue. I know this is not his usual brand and I am still very pleased he agreed to work on it for me. I think I mush have caught him on a bad day or something. I mean, come on, who in their right mind would want to work on an old Dodge Power Wagon?

Thanks for all the kind words and a special THANK YOU TO MY BROTHER CHESTON SCOUT!

LT.

LT.

This rig looks great. I like seeing an old vehicle brought back from the dead.

Thank you for your kind words. Honestly though, it would not turn out as well if it was not for the folks here on RME. The last two trucks I have built have had a lot to do with this community. This truck would still not be getting anything done on it if it was not for my brother Cheston. All praises need to be sent his way.

LT.

LT.

Small update. ChestonScout has the new clutch now and Off Road Design has made the parts I was needing. Funny thing about Off Road Design, I had ordered the parts two weeks ago and they did not charge my account until they were ready to ship. Honest folks there for sure. Problem was the card number I gave them when I had ordered the parts was no longer any good. My bank sent me a new card during the time and the old one was no longer any good. So, a quick phone call today to straighten everything out and they are now on their way. I also was able to order the headers for the new motor from Summit Racing. Bad news is that they don't stock the headers I wanted. So, they have to get them from Doug Thorley and then they will send them out to ChestonScout's place. The FOA shocks should be getting built now as well.

LT.

LT.

Minor set back. Summit Racing called me back and said that they could not get the headers I wanted. So, for now anyways, it looks like we will be using the stock manifolds and building a custom exhaust off of them.

LT.

LT.

More set backs. Turns out that the pilot bushing will not fit the 440 crank. Dodge used two different cranks between the manual and the auto trannies. I am not even there and this truck is still putting up a fight. Good thing ChestonScout is working on it instead of me. I would be so tempted to cash it in for scrap metal. Thanks so much for everything ChestonScout!

LT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
More set backs. Turns out that the pilot bushing will not fit the 440 crank. Dodge used two different cranks between the manual and the auto trannies. I am not even there and this truck is still putting up a fight. Good thing ChestonScout is working on it instead of me. I would be so tempted to cash it in for scrap metal. Thanks so much for everything ChestonScout!

LT.

Some knuckledragger Mopar bro has had to come up with a solution to that issue?

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
yup. I wanted the motor in yesterday something fierce.

Rob....I dont think its you that has the bad luck.....its Dodge in general. They are nightmares..ha ha ha

I finally found where other people are having this problem.

440 steel cranks are predrilled to accept a pilot bushing. Cast cranks are not....guess what Rob bought.

So to fix it, we can either machine the crank out to size and depth OR....Like Marc said

I found where people are using a pilot bushing from a 2007 dakota. It fits in the end of the crank with no machining required. You just have to cut a little of the input shaft off the trans.

I ordered the bearing and it will be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

LT.

Thanks for everything Cheston! It really is a blessing to have a friend like Cheston working on my junk. I don't know where I would be without him and his help. I know where the truck would be for sure though. Lol. This truck was supposed to be done by the first part of June and now I am really wondering just WHAT THE HELL I WAS THINKING! There is no way something like this could be done in that kind of time frame. At least no way with the kind of budget I had in mind anyways. Maybe if you have REALLY deep pockets. All in all though the truck is coming together just problems everytime we turn around. I should be used to that by now working on all the Dodge's that I have in the past.

It also looks like I am going to buy another 440. The newer one has some parts we could use on this truck and the price is pretty good. So, it looks like I will be back to owning two 440's again. Good thing my wife is pretty cool about all this.

LT.

ChestonScout

the ORD steering parts showed up yesterday! NICE stuff! I cant wait to get them installed.

Also, I got the pilot bearing yesterday and its a perfect fit! Problem should be solved!.

Progress should resume shortly
lt5.jpg

LT.

Cheston has done it again! The truck now has all the steering in and the clutch is now on the back of the motor. I am amazed at how fast he works when all the parts are there and there are almost no hang ups.

LT.

rholbrook

LT

You know this build is really cool but I am pissed at you for it. Cheston has not once called me to go riding since he started on it. I called him last week to go for a quick ride and he declined. Made up some excuse that his son was sick and Char was at work but I really think he was wanting to work on this BAMF.

It cant be me because I am a lot of fun to hang out with, it has to be this build.

Thanks for taking one of my riding buddies away.

Russ

ChestonScout

Cheston, what hi steer arms are those? What it your opinion on the BTF high steer arms?
http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product...Steer-Arm;-HEIM-JOINT-STYLE-Drivers-Side.aspx

This is an Off Road Design steering arm. I like these a lot. Same arm I used on my one tons. They arent as blingy as the BTF but these are BEEFY.
Im sure there is nothing wrong with the BTF. With either arm I suggest buying the ARP studs to go along with them

LT

You know this build is really cool but I am pissed at you for it. Cheston has not once called me to go riding since he started on it. I called him last week to go for a quick ride and he declined. Made up some excuse that his son was sick and Char was at work but I really think he was wanting to work on this BAMF.

It cant be me because I am a lot of fun to hang out with, it has to be this build.

Russ

Ha ha ha. We need to get out Russ! My bike has a nice coat of dust on it

LT.

LT

Russ

Sorry about that. This truck has been anything but easy. Christine has fought us the whole way and it is like she didn't want to be made new again. The latest is Off Road Design did not send us the right nuts for the studs. To top it all off the person who has another 440 for sale is not returning any phone calls and Cheston is unable to get a hold of the guy. It is always something with this truck. Never easy, always tough, and fought with difficulties all the way. Almost enough to make me switch brands.

LT.

Last edited: