Recovery rig thoughts

LT.

Poor, poor Cheston. For those of you who may not know just how hard he is working on this stupid truck let me tell you. Today Cheston went down and picked up my new engine. The new engine looks to be in much better shape than the one I dropped off so, he is going to take the clutch back off the motor I took up, re assemble the new motor, and then install it into Christine. Then, it looks like I am going to purchase all new wood, hardware, and assorted stuff for the bed floor. Then the new fuel cell will go in the bed. Then it is up to Cheston as to what he is going to want next.

LT.

LT.

So, where should I get the wood for the bed from? Holkey's, or The Dodge Connection? The fuel cell will be coming from Summit Racing but, I can't decide on where to get the wood and the hard ware from.

LT.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
what length is your truck bed? I have some tropical hardwood that may work for you. I think it's about 7-foot lengths by about 6-inch wide by about 1 1/8-inch thick (metric stuff). Of course, you will have to do some basic wood working to get it right. Free for a fellow RME & MOPAR guy.

Last edited:

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Measurements are 7-feet long (actually a little less than 7 1/4") by 5 3/4" wide by 1 1/8" thick. I have plenty of these, so use all you need on your project. We are going to the zoo in SLC Saturday and can take some along. I'm not sure what type of wood this is, might be lower grade mahogany, but isn't as heavy as good grade mahogany.

LT.

Measurements are 7-feet long (actually a little less than 7 1/4") by 5 3/4" wide by 1 1/8" thick. I have plenty of these, so use all you need on your project. We are going to the zoo in SLC Saturday and can take some along. I'm not sure what type of wood this is, might be lower grade mahogany, but isn't as heavy as good grade mahogany.

I am going to send this information to Cheston and see if they will work. For some reason I was thinking the planks were a little wider but, I am not there to check and my memory really is not all that good. Thanks for all your help.

LT.

LT.

Dont tell LT but I was able to cooerce Cheston away to go for a ride last night. We had fun.

I know this project is killing Cheston very slowly. She has earned her name for sure. Christine has been nothing but, a hassle thus far. Nothing has gone according to plan and she has fought us the whole way through. Maybe I should have named it Murphy after Murphy's law.

LT.

LT.

I sent these measurements to Cheston and he tells me that they won't work. I am a little bummed but, we will just go with the original plan. Thank you so very much for the offer. I really appreciate it.

LT.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
today was somewhat productive....sorta

We ended up getting the other 440 and had decided to run it. It was rebuilt not long ago and they thought they lost a headgasket on the one side so the head was off. Everything looked awesome until I pulled the other head off.
Between 2 of the cylinders there was a big chunk of metal missing off the deck!!! So it blew out the head gasket and then either cylinder didnt have compression and would misfire into the other chamber. So the block is pretty much junk. It might be repairable but that will mean a total tear down and a trip to the machine shop.

SOO

I pulled the heads off the 440 Rob brought me and got the new heads, the valvetrain, and the intake all on it today. So this motor is going in with an all new top end. It should run great!

The fuel cell showed up today. Its BIG and sexy!

The slats in the bed are 3/4" thick, 6.5' long and 7.5" wide. Im sure with a lot of work I could make Russ' wood work but I think it would be more work than its worth.

This truck wants to physically kill Rob but it is mentally killing me. Its been a month since I thought the motor was ready to go in and it still isnt in there. Rediculas. Just problem after problem. Hopefully this is the end tho and my next work session on it will show some results

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
If the boards are too small only for the width, then just use 1 or 2 extra boards to make up the width (rip to final width needed for the center board). These boards are also not finish planed, so the extra thickness would let you plane them to 3/4" final thickness. Length is easy, just cut them to the needed length. If you need 1 or 2 extra bed skid strips, you might be able to get some from a salavage yard. Mar K has new ones, but will cost $$$.

LT.

The truck is really putting up a fight. You would think that the truck would just go together since I am using mostly all Dodge parts. Ironically though, it seems like the Chevy parts I put in her have gone in easier than the Dodge parts. For the wood on the bed I think we will end up just using some stock oak pieces. With as much as this truck has fought both Cheston and I we think it would just be easier overall. I really appreciate the offer for the wood, RustEoldtrux. That may have been one of the kindest gestures I have received in a long time. But, time is running short and the build is just killing us very slowly. I am no longer going to go to Top Truck Champions Challenge. The truck is putting up a tough fight and although we could have it together in time we would end up cutting too many corners. It seems silly to cut corners now after so much hard work and money have gone into the build. So, the new deadline is going to be Labor Day weekend this September. This will also allow Cheston to get some much needed maintenance done on the Scout. He needs it ready to go for recovery for TTCC. Besides, looking at the whole picture my little step side would be far too small to really be able to help with recovery work. I don't know who I was trying to kid with the thought of really being able to help.

The truck will end up being more of my hunting rig than a recovery truck I guess. Which is fine as the overall build will still fit that mold. I guess I could still use it for some recovery work as long as it is not expected to be the caliber of TTCC.

LT.

LT.

sad news. I can't wait to see this thing completed.

Well, we could have it done in time. But, in order to have it done in two weeks it would drain Cheston of his time and drain me of money. Cheston is doing this to fill in some time for me. It is not right of me to expect him to work himself to death for just a truck. I would not be a very good friend if that was my expectations. Not to mention he would be cutting corners and that would be a real shame considering how much blood, sweat, and tears have gone into this sucker. For now I am planning on taking it to blazer bash this September. I hope to head up this labor day weekend to pick it up, take Cheston and his family for dinner and spend a relaxing weekend with my wife's family.

Cheston has worked increadible magic on this truck and it is fighting him every step of the way. He feels like it is one step forward and two steps back. So, it will get done and there will be no corners cut on this build.

LT.

sixstringsteve

I think my favorite part of this build is that you guys aren't cutting corners. As much as I want to see this thing done, I want to see it done right even more, so I fully approve.

LT.

A huge milestone has been reached today. Cheston and is brother Mitch were able to get the new engine in the truck today! This is huge because the engine has been nothing but problem after problem. I can't thank Cheston or his brother enough. The work has been fantastic all along.

LT.