Recovery rig thoughts

LT.

Well, I spent most of this afternoon learning about 440's that come from R.V.'s. Turns out that they are the same motor that comes in the older cars and trucks. The heads are a little different as well as the oil pump and pick up. Not that big of a deal though as I already have the 400 big block and I can use the pan and pickup from it. Now, the heads are a different story but, 440 Source has a crack head deal on some aluminum heads that have an 80cc combustion chamber. The other problem with the R.V. motor is that they are low compression. Turns out they are only about 8 to 8.5:1 or there abouts. I have even run into a fella who said he had one that was 7.9:1. Whoa! The 440's that came in the cars from 1966 to 1973 used to run about 10:1 or close to. All in all the motor will work just fine it just will be a little low on horse power until I can get the time to go through it. It will be a Velcro motor to say the least.

So, I am still in need of a Ramcharger fuel tank, straps, and any other hardware needed for installation. If y'all have one laying around please let me know.

LT.

LT.

Very nice!

Thank you my brother. These parts are way over kill but, that is what I was looking for. I just got off the phone with Rocky Mountain Suspension and ordered my Tuff Country 6" Dodge front leaf springs, Tuff Country 6" lift 56" long Chevy rear springs, and front and rear U bolts. I probably won't see them until the first of the year but, that will be okay. After the springs and mounts go on then is the engine. And lastly I will be loading the truck up and taking it to Utah for some killer pre runner styled bumpers front and rear with a spare tire carrier as well. I can't wait.

LT.

LT.

Here are some more pictures. These pictures are of the new front leaf spring mounts. I had them custom made so facilitate a 2" lift built in. This way I can use a leaf spring that has less arch and I am hoping that it will also aid in flex and ride better as a result. I also had some new front shackle mounts made as well. All the bolts have also been upgraded to 5/8" and grease-able. In the first picture you can see the longer shackles that will match the 2" lift I had built into the front mounts.

LT.2011-12-24_13-03-52_131.jpg2011-12-24_13-04-09_847.jpg2011-12-24_13-04-21_648.jpg2011-12-24_13-04-41_320.jpg

LT.

Today my U-bolts and locking nuts all showed up. I am a little bummed that they came from Skyjacker but, beggars can't be choosers. They are nice U-bolts that are painted instead of just being raw steel. I guess I need to buy some shock mounts for the rear axle next since the stock Dodge lower shock mounts are on the lower U-bolt plates. I am a little anxious for the springs to get here so I can pull the truck back into the shop.

LT.

Bart

That thing is gonna be sweet. So what rig are you taking to EJS this year? Haven't seen any updates on the beater for a while.

LT.

That thing is gonna be sweet. So what rig are you taking to EJS this year? Haven't seen any updates on the beater for a while.

The beater is under the knife right now. She is getting an engine out of a 1998 Dodge Ram pickup truck. I pulled the engine, wiring harness, and factory computer out of it for the Beater. The thermoquad, while a great carb, was the limiting factor on the truck now. For EJS the Beater will still be the truck I will end up taking. I suspect that Christine will not be done in time. In fact, if I had to guess I would put money on the Beater being finished just in time and Christine will be done at the last minute as well. That seems to be the way I do everything.

LT.

LT.

Does anyone have a suggestion for shocks? I was going to use FOA's again but, it does not look like they are going to be back up and running by the time I am going to need them. I will reuse the stock shock mounting locations to try and stream line this build as much as possible.

LT.

LT.

Not too much to add but, I did get the 440 pulled from the motor home today and I also got the engine delivered to the shop. Now, I just need a flywheel, clutch, headers, and a few fresh gaskets and it will be ready to go in. Right now I am researching flywheels for it and the clutches as well. It should not be too long and I will have an engine in it and a fresh set of legs under her.

LT.

LT.

1. Dana 60 front axle with 5.13 gears and a Detroit.
(Done except I went with 4.88 gears.)
2. 14 Bolt FF with 5.13 gears and a spool.
(I still need to order the gears and spool.)
3. NP-203/205 doubler again from Off Road Design.
4. New clutch.
5. Rebuilt motor. If anyone knows of a big block Dodge please let me know.
Done except I bought a 440 that has 30,000 miles.
6. 17" beadlocks.
I went with just some plain daytona styled wheels instead. I had to keep thinking about hunting and daily driving.
7. Radial tires in the neighborhood of 37" to 40".
I ended up with 40" Goodyear MT/R's
8. Big winch on the front and maybe even one off of the rear. 12,000
(Done, I now have a Warn 16.5 ti for the front.)
9. Pre runner styled bumpers front and rear with a full sized spare tire in the bed.
I have the builder set up and he has it all down pat. I just need to get the truck to him so he can work his magic.
10. New exhaust. I don't have a reason for liking to work on exhaust so much but, it is important to me to have a great sounding/working exhaust system.
(I will most likely go with a 3" system with Dyno Max mufflers.) I really did want to go the Dyno Max mufflers but, they are a little too loud for my tastes. Instead I think Flowmaster mufflers will end up on the truck.
11. Replace the wood on the bed floor.
This may end up having to wait and when it does happen I may end up using some expanded metal.
12. Decide on a lift spring.
Done. I ended up going with 6" Tuff Country springs.
13. If time allows I would like to address some smaller issues. Electrical, interior, and the bed.

I did end up purchasing the EZ inch from DIY4X. This will allow me to move the front axle forward just enough. Of course I also ended up with all new mounts for the leaf springs. This was done for a few reasons mostly so I can have the larger greaseable bolts.

What am I missing? I have a large CO2 tank I think I will carry for air.

LT.

LT.

Well, three of the four leaf springs showed up today. And UPS stated that they dropped off all the packages. A quick call to Rocky Mountain Suspension and they ended up calling Tuff County and it was discovered that UPS some how separated the leaf springs. It should be here tomorrow.

LT.

LT.

Might as well push it in the shop and get started

I would love to except my wife has all my days off planned out. I swear, if it is not one thing it is another. I told her that if I don't make it in June she will not be going to her sisters then either. I mean WTF does it take for me just to have my fricken days off to work on the truck?!

LT.

LT.

Okay, today did not go as well as I had hoped. I did not get the truck into the shop until after noon. I did get the old front mounts removed and I also got the old shackles removed as well. I also was able to make the shackle hole just a touch bigger so the new shackle and its bushing could be mounted. I also was able to get the new front mounts and the cross member in place as well. The leaf springs were a problem. The bushings that came in them did not fit my new larger bolts. I increased the bolts from the stock 7/16 and 1/2 to greasable 5/8. So, after freezing the new bushings and trying to get the new sleeves in I gave up. I ended up installing the new bushings and then taking a 3/4 drill bit and boring them out a touch. After that everything went in and is still tight. After a long afternoon I have the new springs and mounts all installed but, no front diff in place. So, after all that frustration I really don't have anything picture worthy and I did not take any pictures of them installed. When I get the front diff in place and the tires on it I will take the pictures.

LT.