Recovery rig thoughts

LT.

Well, I picked up some tires from a member here on the board, Toyota Crawling. So, the step side now has the right sized tires for the build. I am hoping that I can just get away with some standard eight lug, daytona styled wheels for the truck. I wanted beadlocks but, this truck will not be a hard core wheeler. So I think standard wheels will be going on. I am also thinking that with the right tires and wheels I can get a good idea of the lift springs I will need. So far so good. Now I just need to get them home and in the shop.

LT.

LT.

I have been told that I don't post up enough pictures so here are some of the tires and a wicked cool car I ran across on the way home. For y'all viewing pleasure.

LT.

Attachments

• 2011-10-09_15-38-27_973.jpg
    2011-10-09_15-38-27_973.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2011-10-09_15-38-56_149.jpg
    2011-10-09_15-38-56_149.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2011-10-09_15-39-05_207.jpg
    2011-10-09_15-39-05_207.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 36
  • 2011-10-09_15-39-10_122.jpg
    2011-10-09_15-39-10_122.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 35
  • 2011-10-09_15-39-16_436.jpg
    2011-10-09_15-39-16_436.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 2011-10-10_11-05-28_852.jpg
    2011-10-10_11-05-28_852.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 2011-10-10_11-05-40_791.jpg
    2011-10-10_11-05-40_791.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2011-10-10_11-05-59_837.jpg
    2011-10-10_11-05-59_837.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2011-10-10_11-06-16_882.jpg
    2011-10-10_11-06-16_882.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 26

LT.

I just ordered five new wheels from 4X4 Group Buy. I hope they show up soon. Nothing too fancy or anything like that. Just some black Daytona styled wheels 17X9, 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern with 4 1/2" back space. I tried to order them from Desert Rat but, they did not have any in stock. Good thing anyways because 4X4 Group Buy had them much cheaper than any where else did. Next up are some lift springs. I have decided on the Tuff Country 6" Dodge springs up front and Tuff Country 6" Chevy rear springs that are 56 inches long. This should help with the rear flex a bit since the springs are longer. Then I need to get a fella in New York to build me some new mounts for the front springs and the rear springs. It is coming along slowly but, surely.

LT.

LT.

I talked to the folks at 4x4 Group Buy today. Turns out that my wheels were not in stock and are made to order so, they are two to four weeks out. Guess it is a good thing that I don't need them right away.

LT.2011-11-21_13-08-17_440.jpg2011-11-21_13-09-00_733.jpg2011-11-21_17-23-30_724.jpg2011-11-21_17-23-54_911.jpg

Last edited:

LT.

Some how I messed up the pictures. Let me know if you can see them. The first is of the wheel with the protective ring. Next is why I chose these wheels. Made in the USA. Third one is of the tires and wheels mounted as is the forth.

LT.

LT.

I spoke to a fella today who is going to build me new mounts for my leaf springs. The front mounts are going to be lowered two inches and I am also upgrading all the bolts to 5/8 greasable. The stock bolts are only 7/16 and 1/2 and are not greasable. I am also having all new mounts made for the rear springs as well. This will give me the ability to have a shackle flip in the rear and not have the factory block there either. This should be the best way to go for this trucks use. I am really excited to see the parts and to get them installed. Next up are the leaf springs, steering, shocks, and my favorite the engine.

LT.

LT.

I received an email from the fella who is making my brackets. He said he has everything ready to go except for one part. The drop shackle for the front end. That part will also be 2" longer than the factory shackles. This creates space between the front leaf spring and the frame rails. On stock Dodge's the distance between the two is about a 1/4 to a 1/2". What happens is when the springs are compressed they hit the frame rail and limits compression. This should not be a problem with the new ones. I will take pictures and post them up when everything arrives.

LT.

LT.

Hey y'all, I have hit a small snag and I need some help. The stock fuel tank in the truck is not going to work. It is just too small for a big block and it is under the truck in between the frame rails. So, I am trying to find a fuel cell that is 30+ gallons, has a sending unit, is made of some kind of metal, and does not have foam in the tank. It will be mounted in the front of the bed near the cab so it will be exposed to some weather. I don't really want a poly tank as they will warp in the sun light.

Thanks for the help (or should I say tanks for the help) in advance.

LT.

rholbrook

Just a thought. When I restored my 72 Chev Shortbed 4x4 I wanted to get rid of the tank behind the seat. I found a Blazer tank out of the same year and mounted it in the rear where they went. I then welded in a gas tank door out of an Audi. It looked and worked perfect.

Does a Ram Charger or Trail Duster (cant remember what they called the Dodge version of the Blazer) use a bigger tank in the rear that would work for you? Maybe a combination of both tanks.

Last edited:

LT.

Yep, the ramcharger does have a larger tank and you are correct. It would bolt right in place at the rear of the truck. I was wanting to put it in the bed to prevent landing on it. The rear over hang is more on the truck than it is on my beater. I am worried I would land or crush the tank if it were in the stock ramcharger location.

LT.

rholbrook

Fab a skid plate for it. The Genrite and others make them for the Wranglers. The reality of it is you probably would not hit it very often and you could use the room in the bed more efficiently if you never had a tank in the bed. Being a shortbed, you may need the room to carry an axle some day and wished you didn't have the tank in there

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I dig that idea to. Cargo space could be key in a recovery rig. Plus we could fab a beefy enough skid plate that you would never have to worry about it.

LT.

Fab a skid plate for it. The Genrite and others make them for the Wranglers. The reality of it is you probably would not hit it very often and you could use the room in the bed more efficiently if you never had a tank in the bed. Being a shortbed, you may need the room to carry an axle some day and wished you didn't have the tank in there

I dig that idea to. Cargo space could be key in a recovery rig. Plus we could fab a beefy enough skid plate that you would never have to worry about it.

If you get one from a K5 Blazer they are 31 gallons and have a pretty good skid plate to start with.

y'all maybe right. I should think a bit harder about the Ramcharger fuel tank. Let me see what I can dig up. I should have one around here somewhere.

LT.

rholbrook

I just may have to grab Cheston and slip down to supervise this between slipping over and fishing the Texas Hole and above on the San Juan. Cheston, you up for a road trip?

LT.

I just may have to grab Cheston and slip down to supervise this between slipping over and fishing the Texas Hole and above on the San Juan. Cheston, you up for a road trip?

yes.....yes I am

Heck ya! Come down and learn me, please. It looks like I am now the proud owner of a 440 and an auto tranny. Thing of it is I have to pull it out of a 32' motor home. I really don't know how hard it is going to be to pull this sucker but, I may try and pull it and the tranny at the same time as one unit. I am also now looking for a Ramcharger fuel tank. The stock pickup truck fuel tank is in the way of the exhaust. I was thinking about mounting a fuel cell in the bed but, that really does not make much sense in a truck that will also be used for hunting. I need to keep the bed as clear as possible. So, if anyone has a ramcharger fuel tank laying around with the mounting straps and such I would be interested in it.

LT.