Recs: late model v6 into toyota pickup

I've been out of the world for a little while and I'm looking for advice for a later model (something like 2014 or later) v6 engine of some sort to put into a Toyota pickup, 1990 extra cab. I was planning on a Gen V all aluminum 4.3L from a 1500 Silverado, but I'm having a hell of a time finding one, and Advance Adapters hasn't tested to see if that engine will work with the R151 manual trans. Certain previous years they had to make their own flywheel to make the 4.3L work with the clutch mechanism work. So for that reason they're telling me to steer clear of the 2014 and later engines (all aluminum, LS based, 4.3L v6). That would be a sweet engine. I don't remember all of the specifics of the earlier Vortec V6s but I want it to perform well including super strong Daily Driver duty (on 34s) and be super reliable, complete with AC etc. I'd consider a metric 3.8 too but I'm not sure what the deal is with these.

I'm all ears on your thoughts. Also if someone does have a super clean lower milage v6 vortec or similar, I'm looking. I found a 1997 but I feel like I could do better with a later model engine? thx!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think I read on FB that you were leaning towards the old-school SBC-based 4.3 V6 just for simplicity? I really like the idea of the newer engines - I understand that there will be difficulties when using them, but I think in the long run you'll be a lot happier you used the newer technology (way more efficient, much more tunable, lighter, awesomer...). Plus, I know you're a smart dude and can figure it out! And it'll be way cooler to tell people about your project when you have something other than a plain old 4.3 turd... "Oh, you have an engine from an 1994 Astro Van... what's it make - 170 hp? That's cool...:rolleyes:"

Are you opposed to running the manual transmission that would come stock behind the GM engine rather than your Toyota transmission? I'd wager that it's easier to adapt the GM trans to a Toy t-case than it is to adapt the GM engine to the Toy trans... That way you could maybe even get a 6-speed manual? That sounds pretty rad to me.

Oh, and I know you enough that I think you should consider resale value too ;) - I bet you'll get a lot more bang-for-your-buck with a newer LS-ish powerplant and more modern transmission.

Is this going in the same pickup you were swapping the diesel into?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There are a variety of different versions of the Iron Block 4.3 but IMO the 2002-2007 Vortec engines are the best. They make a nice, flat torque curve and have a decent amount of power. I've bought 2 of them recently for $400 & $300, both good running engines.

The LU3 is rated for around 200 HP and 250 ft/lbs.

There's a decent thread on here about the LS-based aluminum 4.3 you're talking about... https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/gms-lv3-v6-aka-the-ls-based-4-3.116938/

Honestly though? For the money and effort, I'd swap in a GM 4.8l or 5.3l V8. You can pick up a good engine for $500-600 and a harness for another $500 or strip down a factory harness if you like. LS engines have been swapped into everything, so getting one to work in a Toyota pickup should be easy. And a stock 4.8 or 5.3 shouldn't overwhelm the Toyota transmission.