REKLUSE AUTOMATIC MOTORCYCLE CLUTCHES

rholbrook

I am thinking that my WR450 needs an REKLUSE automatic clutch. Does anyone here have one or have any experience with one? The type of riding I do I think it would be nice to have.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've never ridden a bike with one, but a guy I work with has one on his CRF450R and he loves it. He says the technical stuff is way to easy to ride with the Rekluse, but the downside is that you loose engine braking when going downhill.

I would love to spend some time on a bike with a Rekluse clutch.

Caleb

I've been thinking about getting one too (maybe a winter project). I know people love them for the technical stuff. It would be nice to not have to worry about the clutch.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I can't say enough good things to say about them. I like them enough that there is a good chance I'll retire the ATK (they don't make one for it) in favor of a Honda just to be able to run one. They make Hillclimbs, tight woods, single track, rock gardens and other technical riding so much easier to work with--its like magic.

They are like tuned suspension and steering dampers. You can never appreciate it until you have them, and once you do you wonder how you ever got by without it :D

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I know a lot of people like them. I have never owned a bike with one, but have ridden a friends bike that did. They do not fit my riding style, so I would never own one.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
I have had one on my CRF450R since they came out. It is hands down the most amazing thing for technical riding, I have ridden "5 miles of hell" several times out and back, if you know it, you know you earn every bit of it every second. I always struggled on the big canyon crossing where you have to go up some rubble and make a 90 degree corner right and then some big steps to the left. After I put in the auto clutch and got it tuned for my style of riding, I rode up that spot on the pegs without ever putting a foot down every time after...it amazing what you can do when its impossible to stall your bike :D

Caleb

FWIW, it's looking like rekluse is no longer offering their z-start and only offering their z-start pro model. However, they have a new one called the trail, only select models will be available this month. I, however, have been hearing great things about the Revloc Dyna Ring. You can still bump start with it, if you need to, with the Dyna Ring. Quite a few guys are saying they would take their Dyna Ring over their z-start pro rekluse. Plus it's only $379!

great scott

I run one on my 04 KTM 525 EXC. I love it, just as stated above, it's all that for technical tight stuff. The lack of engine braking can be a pain on down hill switch backs (can get a left side hand brake for more coin). and no comp starts may be an issue without a kick starter. Set up can be a pain mine was not, first shot and it hits the way I like her to. Do it, you wont go back.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
We went for a ride this week up some really nasty, steep and rocky (really fun, but it has been miserable for some) single track here in So Idaho. My friend has a Rekluse in his 03 CR250 and we noticed that the clutch became very hot on this section of the trail. At the top we sprayed a small amount of water on the clutch cover and it sizzled :ugh: Maybe he was lugging it too much? Either way I still think they are the most amazing thing ever lol.

That said if you do get one I would run only the best oil in the transmission and keep an eye on it ;)

Caleb

That said if you do get one I would run only the best oil in the transmission and keep an eye on it ;)

Rekluse recommends Rotella 15/40 non-synthetic...in other words the cheapest stuff you can get from Walmart :p I've seen the Rotella recommended by a ton of people, even for stock clutches, that's what I'm running in mine and it's doing fine.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Rekluse recommends Rotella 15/40 non-synthetic...in other words the cheapest stuff you can get from Walmart :p I've seen the Rotella recommended by a ton of people, even for stock clutches, that's what I'm running in mine and it's doing fine.

That's what I run in my DR650, without a Rekluse of course. It's meant for heavy diesel trucks and has no friction modifiers, so it doesn't screw with the clutch. Works for me... I love Rotella... :D

rholbrook

I am buying tomorrow. I registered for Thumper Talk and got a 10% discount and free shipping offer for 30 days. When I get it I will do an install writeup on it. Caleb, should I order one for your CRFX? We can do the install together.

Caleb

I am buying tomorrow. I registered for Thumper Talk and got a 10% discount and free shipping offer for 30 days. When I get it I will do an install writeup on it. Caleb, should I order one for your CRFX? We can do the install together.
Man, as much as I want to say yes, I just spent almost $400 on my HDB setup and another $150 on parts to do my suspension and another ~$250 just prior to this on an IMS tank. My wife would kill me if I had you get me a clutch :p

rholbrook

Caleb, when I met your wife she seemed really nice. You make her sound really mean. How could she not let you get one?

Let me recap this. Lets see, since last year she has let you get a really nice Husky, outfit it like crazy, bust your foot up, sell the Husky, buy a Honda and buy all sorts of gear for it and you think she will put her foot down on this one? :)

When I get mine, you can come help me install it. I am placing the order this morning.

Caleb

Caleb, when I met your wife she seemed really nice. You make her sound really mean. How could she not let you get one?

Let me recap this. Lets see, since last year she has let you get a really nice Husky, outfit it like crazy, bust your foot up, sell the Husky, buy a Honda and buy all sorts of gear for it and you think she will put her foot down on this one? :)

When I get mine, you can come help me install it. I am placing the order this morning.
:rofl: exactly! In all reality, I doubt she would stop me, but I've got to control myself somewhat :D I'd love to come help you install yours, I'm really curious how they ride.

Corban_White

There are 2 different versions of the rev loc. They have the original version that is similar to the rekluse and replaces the whole clutch, basket and all. The new version (the one Caleb posted) just replaces a few (3-4) of your clutch plates. It installs just like the plates. I believe I read that this version will include a new set of clutch plates as well. No need to send your clutch out.

jevyguy

Where did you find this recommendation? I don't see it in the manual.