South-West Utah Relic Run at Winter 4x4 Jamboree

smfulle

The Winter 4x4 Jamboree takes place in January 17-20 2024 at Sand Hollow near Hurricane, Utah.
On the last day of the Jamboree I will be leading a trail ride we are calling The Relic Run for all makes and models of vintage 4x4 vehicles, 1989 or older. This will be on the East Rim trail at Sand Hollow, a 3/10 rated trail so stock vehicles can complete the trail without incident. There is one or two more challenging obstacles, but there are bypasses. The scenery is great, the trail is fun and the people are awesome.
This is a great way get a little taste of what Sand Hollow is all about.
Registration opens Monday, Nov. 6th.

Here's a link to the Winter Jamboree website.

Here's a video of last year's ride. Same trail.

smfulle

Relic Run, for 1989 & older vehicles. Such a unique idea :D
(ExpeditionUtah has been hosting annual 'The Relic Run' event for 1989 & older vehicles since 2009)

We'll have to re-boot the Winter 4x4 Jamboree here in Northern Utah to stay competitive :D
I hope there's no copyright violations. :)

smfulle

Kurt,
In all seriousness, I didn't organize this, they just ask me to lead it. I also didn't know you had anything going called Relic Run. I know ignorance isn't innocence, but I thought it was a clever name when I heard it. If you think it's an issue, I can work on a different label for next year. We're kinda stuck with it for this time.

Reactions: DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt,
In all seriousness, I didn't organize this, they just ask me to lead it. I also didn't know you had anything going called Relic Run. I know ignorance isn't innocence, but I thought it was a clever name when I heard it. If you think it's an issue, I can work on a different label for next year. We're kinda stuck with it for this time.

I think it's fair to say any group operating a named themed event would prefer branding stay unique to their own. We're hardly the only ones doing vintage 4x4 events but as I mentioned we have been doing the 'Relic Run' annually since 2009. It's been covered on TV, print magazine, digital magazine, U4WDA newsletter, and local newspapers over the years. I'm curious who on the Winter 4x4 Convention conceived the use of the name and the '89 & older criteria.

Some of our previous event logos in case y'all need more inspiration ;)

IMG_20231103_153653.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Kurt,
In the early days of Relic Run, when it was '79 or less, me and my '86 Toyota were bummed and I gave serious thought to starting a "Rustbucket Ramble". Then the Relic Run started allowing '89 or less and it became a non-issue, but I've always thought Rustbucket Ramble would be a cool name for an event anyway.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It seems hard to believe that someone who helped organize it hadn't heard of the Relic Run. Changing it to something else would be the right thing to do regardless.

Reactions: DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm totally at peace with things staying as they are for your 2024 event. You're a volunteer at an event I support run by a group I have great respect for. Let's not make anything of this. Enjoy the event, have fun with cool old rigs and let's revisit before planning for the next event. There are only so many heartbeats in the day... let's spend them doing something better :D

smfulle

I’m going to work on getting this particular piece of the Winter 4x4 Jambiree renamed to something else, hopefully that conveys the same spirit and intent as “Relic Run.” I’m not in the inner circle of the event, just someone that wants to help out, but I’ll do my best.
In the meantime, it’s going to be fun, no matter it’s name. Bring your vintage rig and join us.