Removable Fender Flares

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
So, I'd like to make some for the CJ so I can pass Utah's asinine safety inspection. Has anybody else made any? I was thinking about cutting a semi's mudflap in half length-wise and screwing some small tubing to it which would attach to my inner fender. But thinking about it, I'm not sure a semi flap would be long enough; how much coverage do you actually need, front to back? Any other materials you'd suggest? Other brilliant ideas?

Thanks!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This'll sound totally dumb, but it gets me through inspection. :D

I've got the 6" TJ flares. I just screw some lawnedging to the flares to cover the tires. Put my mudflaps on, make sure I have a horn, turn signals, lights, etc. and it's worked for me.

It's fairly annoying that now you can license a 4 wheeler for the road with some lights, but we still have to jump through hoops for our Jeeps.

I've got some plans for the future, though. They involve tube fenders and removable TJ flares.

Last edited:

Bart

I'm going to make some detachable flares for the new buggy and hope to license it some day. I'm thinking something that bolts to the brake mounting plate and comes up to cover the tire. Yes the fronts would turn with the tires. I could never wheel with something like that but it would meet inspection laws.

Seven

I am in the process

I am in the slow process of making some for my XJ. I am using magnets that I have glued onto a TJ flare and made them flush. I am sure a bunch of people are going to tell me that a magnet is not strong enough(that mentality is what got me here) I had to prove someone wrong. well after some trial I found neodymium magnets n48 rating that would do it. IF you still have doubts do some searching and find out what kind of pull a 1/2 by 1/2 inch n48 magnet has. They have some power to them. luckily gorilla glue followed up by super glue has held them in the flare so far. It is a slow process because I don't have to pass safety inspection for another 5 months. and still have to find the time to trim my fenders so they fit better. I really do not know if it is such a great idea but hell I am a man and if someone tells me it cannot be done I am going to try to prove them wrong.

jdub

Scrambler
THere is a plastic supply company in south salt lake somewhere that sold me a sheet of plastic for $15 and I cut strips and zip tied them to the outer side of the existing flares. works every time I even drove 60 mph with them and no problems. I drilled two holes in the fender and kinda sewed the ties in about 5 spots.

1993yj

I was thinking of something along the lines that mbryson was talking about, but Bart has quite the idea. Almost like a Prowler. If your tires stick out less than 4" or so, I have seen many people use the plastic edging used to separate grass and flower beds. Pretty cheap, and you screw it on and then unscrew it. Pretty quick and easy. For someone with wider axles though Bart may be on to something.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I made these a while ago. Super simple! They are made from a semi mud flap and some square aluminum tube. The mud flap is actually too long so I cut off about 3 inches from the bottom. I believe the law states that the tire needs to have coverage over its entire width extending down to its centerline.

They keep the safety inspector happy :)

Attachments

• DSCN2635.jpg
    DSCN2635.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2639.jpg
    DSCN2639.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
This'll sound totally dumb, but it gets me through inspection. :D

I've got the 6" TJ flares. I just screw some lawnedging to the flares to cover the tires. Put my mudflaps on, make sure I have a horn, turn signals, lights, etc. and it's worked for me.

It's fairly annoying that now you can license a 4 wheeler for the road with some lights, but we still have to jump through hoops for our Jeeps.

I've got some plans for the future, though. They involve tube fenders and removable TJ flares.

Garden edging has worked for me.

Lawn edging....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

NE_Utah

I am in the slow process of making some for my XJ. I am using magnets that I have glued onto a TJ flare and made them flush. I am sure a bunch of people are going to tell me that a magnet is not strong enough(that mentality is what got me here) I had to prove someone wrong. well after some trial I found neodymium magnets n48 rating that would do it. IF you still have doubts do some searching and find out what kind of pull a 1/2 by 1/2 inch n48 magnet has. They have some power to them. luckily gorilla glue followed up by super glue has held them in the flare so far. It is a slow process because I don't have to pass safety inspection for another 5 months. and still have to find the time to trim my fenders so they fit better. I really do not know if it is such a great idea but hell I am a man and if someone tells me it cannot be done I am going to try to prove them wrong.

:-\ I was wrong. They are some strong magnets. Do you have them done yet?

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I made these a while ago. Super simple! They are made from a semi mud flap and some square aluminum tube. The mud flap is actually too long so I cut off about 3 inches from the bottom. I believe the law states that the tire needs to have coverage over its entire width extending down to its centerline.

They keep the safety inspector happy :)

I'm planning on doing something like that for my mudflaps, but what about fender flares? What was the length on the semi flaps?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Fender flares must cover the entire width of the tire as well.

I can't remember the lenght of the flap but I'm assuming it was close to 2'

Lifelong Jeeper

That's exactly what I have been thinking. In place of just drilling and tapping holes in the tube fenders and using the stock mounting screw holes in the flares, I am designing a mounted (to the flare) bracket that will have quick release abilities to the tube fenders.

We'll see. I don't even have the tube fenders yet so it's not a priority yet but I've got the idea in my head..

ricsrx

I had 31" tires on black steelies for my cherokee, they stuck out 1", got rejected. put on stock tires and wheels for the day of inspection then changed back out.

vertwhite

find some used stock tires and wheels

I found a used set of stock tires and wheels. Keep then in the back yard for use one day of the year. Safety inspection day.
My window tint is too dark so I take my doors off. Bolted a set of bicycle mirrors in the top hinge holes since my mirrors are attached to the doors.
If you are in the Ut Valley area you could borrow my stock tires for the inspection.

jdub

Scrambler
what about dovetailing a rig and making axle mounted fenders? Is that too far out there for an idea? Probably have a tough time getting anyone to sign off on it.

what about dovetailing a rig and making axle mounted fenders? Is that too far out there for an idea? Probably have a tough time getting anyone to sign off on it.

do you have a rear hitch?

I took a 2x2 square piece of toobing and used self tapping screws to set the semi mud flap on(I cut 1 mudflap in half) and it slides into the side of my hitch. i Then used another self tapping screw(for now) to keep it in the hitch.

1993yj

From page 1:
I'm going to make some detachable flares for the new buggy and hope to license it some day. I'm thinking something that bolts to the brake mounting plate and comes up to cover the tire. Yes the fronts would turn with the tires. I could never wheel with something like that but it would meet inspection laws.

Keep in mind that Prowlers are like this from the factory (on the front), so there is no reason that it shouldn't pass. The manual doesn't say where the fenders have to be attached to, just that they have to cover the width of the wheel.