Rhino lining

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I am looking at rhino lining the bed of my truck, would those with experiance in the subject matter please educate me on a good deal on the price, ups/downs, personal satisfaction with the product, and just general knowledge of the product. Thank you.

Hunt

I have had both Rhino and Line-X. My current Dodge long bed is Rhino Lined and I think it is a little slicker than my Chevy with the Line-X was. Both held up a never well.

The Line-X is an epoxy/resin based product. They have the ability to add colors and UV inhibitors into it.

My Dodge was done at the dealer when I bought it. I have not done much research on the Rhino product. I do know its a rubber like product that goes on hot and is more difficult to lay down. Different that Line-X.

My biggest bit of advice would be to look at some of the trucks the Rhino shop has done. Make sure the guy spraying your truck has got some experience doing it. I have seen some really bad spray jobs.

Have them spray the tops of the bed rails. Again my truck was done when I bought it but they just sprayed the bed and put the stupid plastic caps on the bed tops. I hate the plastic and am thinking I will have the tops sprayed eventually.

The other area I would ask to have them spray is the gap between the bumper and the bed floor. They have to remove the tailgate to do it. When you have the liner wrapped over that edge there is less chance of catching that edge when you are sliding things into the bed.

As long as its a good reputable shop you shouldn't have any worries.

notajeep

Just me
Anyone know the aprox cost to have a 6.5 ft bed done?? In either the rino or line x or whatever equivelent (SP)?

chans

Go with Turbo Liner or Line-X. Rhino liner sucks. I have chunks missing out of mine and anytime you slide something in the bed like a desk then it will tear out more chuncks. They say it is a lifetime warranty but good luck with that since only the original shop that sprayed it can warranty it and the shops in Utah suck and won't fix it including the one that sprayed mine. The corporate number won't do jack to help. I was going to have mine stripped out and go with a different liner but it costs more to strip out the Rhino liner than it is to spray in a new one. I have the turbo liner in another truck and sliding bricks and pavers around on it did not phase it. Nothing damages that liner and it keeps its color unlike the Rhino liner that is all faded after a year. I would even Hurculine a bed myself or leave it alone before buying Rhino liner again. I paid 450.00 for the Rhino liner about 6 1/2 years ago and the other liner was 400.00 around 5 years ago so I'd imagine it would be 450.00 - 500.00 now for over the rails and 50.00 cheaper without.

jdanguns

Just wanted to clarify a few things, Chans it sounds like you have had a bad run in with one of the Rhino dealers, Rhino does have a lifetime warranty and all dealers are supposed to warrant the product, go to the Murray dealer they will take care of it! As far as the product itself Rhino has two differnet types of liners, when comparing make sure its apples to apples! As far as the chemical make up of the products are concerned you are getting a polyurethane or a polyeurea, there are no epoxy's in any of the products they are all 2 part you have a resin/Iso to make up the pruduct. Rhino offers both polyurethane and polyeurea. Both products are almost identical one sets up faster then the other but we're talking seconds! All poly's are subject to fading none of them are UV stable! What creates that chocky look to any liner is soap build up, if your liner is faded its because you let soap from the car wash sit in the bed. Rhino has a new UV stable liner called solar max if you're interested, but you pay for it. There are also products to restore the look of an old liner. As far as color match goes any of the companies can do it, it's if they offer it. Nothing beats a RHINO!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You know the owner of who pretty well?

Yes, yes I do. His response is just below. :D

Just wanted to clarify a few things, Chans it sounds like you have had a bad run in with one of the Rhino dealers, Rhino does have a lifetime warranty and all dealers are supposed to warrant the product, go to the Murray dealer they will take care of it! As far as the product itself Rhino has two differnet types of liners, when comparing make sure its apples to apples! As far as the chemical make up of the products are concerned you are getting a polyurethane or a polyeurea, there are no epoxy's in any of the products they are all 2 part you have a resin/Iso to make up the pruduct. Rhino offers both polyurethane and polyeurea. Both products are almost identical one sets up faster then the other but we're talking seconds! All poly's are subject to fading none of them are UV stable! What creates that chocky look to any liner is soap build up, if your liner is faded its because you let soap from the car wash sit in the bed. Rhino has a new UV stable liner called solar max if you're interested, but you pay for it. There are also products to restore the look of an old liner. As far as color match goes any of the companies can do it, it's if they offer it. Nothing beats a RHINO!

Chevycrew

Have crawled on a lot of them back when I worked at a shell place...

The line-x was much harder, but is like working on 40 grit sandpaper.

The Rhino was over all an easier product to work on and around, and just as durable.

I vote Rhino.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I had a rhino liner put in one of my trucks in 1997 by the Murray store and to this day it is in great shape. There is not one place where it has peeled up or started to come apart. I wouldn't use anything but Rhino.

I think that where people get into trouble with bedliners is the quality of the prep work. Rhino is a good product as long as the prep work was done properly.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I had a rhino liner put in one of my trucks in 1997 by the Murray store and to this day it is in great shape. There is not one place where it has peeled up or started to come apart. I wouldn't use anything but Rhino.

I think that where people get into trouble with bedliners is the quality of the prep work. Rhino is a good product as long as the prep work was done properly.

I believe that to be true with ANY kind of paint or coating.

chans

I did go into Murray store after the Sandy store ,which is not in business anymore and where I bought it, would not fix it and the Murray store made it abundantly clear they are not resposible for other shops work. After some haggling they agreed to try to fix it and messed that up where the spot they repaired never dried and I had to wipe it off because it stayed a big pile of goo. I then called the store in Ogden or Bountiful, I don't remeber which since it was awhile ago, and they said they could fix it for 75.00. I said it is a lifetime warranty and they said only through the store I bought it at. So I then called the corporate number and they told me the same thing and I needed to go back to the Sandy store and after asking to talk to a manager at the corporate number they pretty much told me too bad. There was only two options for Rhino liners when I got it and I chose the best one which was sprayed on thicker. As for fading my Rhino liner faded faster than any other I had or noticed and I don't leave soap on it and don't really wash the bed anyways except with just water since it is a pain to climb back with the wash bucket and soap it all since I wash it in the front yard and don't go to car washes. I'd put my other liner up against a Rhino any day. Rhinos are too soft and can be gauged but people seem to like it since it doesn't feel like sandpaper and slides easier. So if anyone is considering a Rhino Liner I would first call the corporate number and ask if any shop will waranty the liner before you buy or hope the shop that does it stays in business or does a good job. My problems are not from the prep work since it is not peeling or cracking or anything. Only chunks and gouges from sliding stuff in the bed and most of them are not down to the metal so the prep is fine unless they preped the mix wrong.

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have a friend who just got a Turbo liner installed in his Ram and is very happy with the results. It feels more on the rubbery side and was under $500 for the install.

sixb

Will work for beer!
On my old 02 Dodge 1 ton I bought hippo liner from auto body supply and installed it myself for like 120.00 I was very pleased with the results espically for the price.

mr_blove

ask me if I care
What do you guys know about a brand called america liner or ameria liner?? Ken Garff Dodge in West Valley off 3500 W is doing them for $350 installed plus taxand they look pretty good, the are also lifetime warrenty and being a prominant dealer I don't forsee them going out of busniess anytime soon.

1993yj

What do you guys know about a brand called america liner or ameria liner?? Ken Garff Dodge in West Valley off 3500 W is doing them for $350 installed plus taxand they look pretty good, the are also lifetime warrenty and being a prominant dealer I don't forsee them going out of busniess anytime soon.

I got my liner done there with that deal a few months back. Seems just as durable as any of the other brands I have looked at and the price was right. Lifetime warranty too. I would recommend this route to anyone, but I also have not had it long to give long term results. Have moved furniture with it so far and no issues.