Other Region RME Baja trip... ?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
this would be a awesome trip, ill just put some smaller all terrain tires on the camaro

:eek:

r-2.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If I might make a recommendation re: Baja. Absolutely go during a desert race, preferably the Baja 1000. Many will rebuff and think it's going to turn the entire peninsula into a Moab during EJS but realize you still have the place to yourself so long as you're not trying to camp in Ensenada or race course towns. In fact other places are likely even more secluded as everyone is in town. Spend a day at contingency checking out all the Trophy Trucks and moto's, meet drivers, watch the start of the race and then go camp on a secluded beach near or far from the race course. There is something so magical about getting to see the fastest moto's blast past your camp or hear the groan of a TT as they fight through a corner or sand, magical.

This year we camped during the week leading up to the race this last week, we had every beach absolutely to ourselves even in San Felipe.

Greg

Admin
If I might make a recommendation re: Baja. Absolutely go during a desert race, preferably the Baja 1000. Many will rebuff and think it's going to turn the entire peninsula into a Moab during EJS but realize you still have the place to yourself so long as you're not trying to camp in Ensenada or race course towns. In fact other places are likely even more secluded as everyone is in town. Spend a day at contingency checking out all the Trophy Trucks and moto's, meet drivers, watch the start of the race and then go camp on a secluded beach near or far from the race course. There is something so magical about getting to see the fastest moto's blast past your camp or hear the groan of a TT as they fight through a corner or sand, magical.

This year we camped during the week leading up to the race this last week, we had every beach absolutely to ourselves even in San Felipe.

I would be interested in seeing Baja during the a race, but for me & my wife we usually plan our trips around her time off... Thanksgiving and Christmas. Last year we entered Baja the day after the race ended, I've been down a handful of times now.... right after the race. :(

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm trying for a big Europe trip in late September which might make my annual baja pilgrimage difficult, but if I can swing it, we were talking about hitting the race and spending the week after coming home so that would likely follow into turkey weekend. We were also thinking of taking the ferry from La Paz over to mainland and coming home via the mainland. Try and check out Copper Canyon in the process.

Greg

Admin
I'm trying for a big Europe trip in late September which might make my annual baja pilgrimage difficult, but if I can swing it, we were talking about hitting the race and spending the week after coming home so that would likely follow into turkey weekend. We were also thinking of taking the ferry from La Paz over to mainland and coming home via the mainland. Try and check out Copper Canyon in the process.

That would be incredible, I would LOVE to do that on a motorcycle.... Copper Canyon has been on my list for awhile.

brian r

We are definitely in for this trip.i have always wanted to go to Baja.keep us updated as to dates please.

Greg

Admin
Bump! :D

We're making plans to head to Baja again, it will be the same week(s) of Christmas and New Years. That's the only time we can go, so that's what we're stuck with. Everything in the first post still applies, you need to be self-sufficient, come prepared to camp, have a good attitude & roll with the punches, etc.

Who is interested in a 2018 RME Baja trip?

Last edited:

Greg

Admin

Greg

Admin
I really want to get back to Baja next Winter, 2020... either the week of Thanksgiving or between Christmas and New Years. It's slightly warmer over Thanksgiving, which would be nice. Who else wants to go? Seriously... lets make a plan for an RME Baja trip next Winter. It would be about a 8-9 day trip.

I'd like to spend time in Bahía de los Ángeles and Punta San Francisquito (which is very remote, about a days worth of offroad, 2-track sandy driving). That means camping, there are hotels in Bahía and we have a place to stay in San Felipe. I'd like to drive Calamuje Wash on the way from San Felipe to Bahía de los Ángeles, spend a night or 2 in Bahía, then drive from there to Punta San Francisquito and spend a couple nights there, camping. Then head back North and possibly spend a couple nights in San Felipe.

We'd probably be in the Gladiator, possibly the F150.... and may bring the OUT trailer and RTT, since that's a great option for these kind of trips.

This is the beach in Punta San Francisquito.-

20151124_091456-L.jpg

The road thru Calamuje Wash.-

P1015433-L.jpg

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I really want to get back to Baja next Winter, 2020... either the week of Thanksgiving or between Christmas and New Years. It's slightly warmer over Thanksgiving, which would be nice. Who else wants to go? Seriously... lets make a plan for an RME Baja trip next Winter. It would be about a 8-9 day trip.

I'd like to spend time in Bahía de los Ángeles and Punta San Francisquito (which is very remote, about a days worth of offroad, 2-track sandy driving). That means camping, there are hotels in Bahía and we have a place to stay in San Felipe. I'd like to drive Calamuje Wash on the way from San Felipe to Bahía de los Ángeles, spend a night or 2 in Bahía, then drive from there to Punta San Francisquito and spend a couple nights there, camping. Then head back North and possibly spend a couple nights in San Felipe.

We'd probably be in the Gladiator, possibly the F150.... and may bring the OUT trailer and RTT, since that's a great option for these kind of trips.

So In late february I'll be picking up my Ford Transit LWB, High roof (not extended body) adventure van. It will have the Quigley 4x4 conversion. How would it fare on a trip like that? Between Christmas 2020 and New Years 2021 could be a potential for me. The only question is what are the rules in bringing Dogs over the border? That would likely be my limitation if you think the van could handle it.

Greg

Admin
So In late february I'll be picking up my Ford Transit LWB, High roof (not extended body) adventure van. It will have the Quigley 4x4 conversion. How would it fare on a trip like that? Between Christmas 2020 and New Years 2021 could be a potential for me. The only question is what are the rules in bringing Dogs over the border? That would likely be my limitation if you think the van could handle it.

I'm not sure about the van, I just don't know how capable they are and how it would stand up to the roads down there. My plan involves a few full days offroad, driving roads that are very rocky and rough, plus lots of deep, soft sand. The roads beat up a regular 4x4, airing down helps a lot but still. IMO a very good set of tires and the ability to air down and up is crucial. There will also be places where the trail is tight and scratches are almost guaranteed.

Far as the dog, we've taken our dog to Baja before. You need some paperwork far as shots, but that's it.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'm not sure about the van, I just don't know how capable they are and how it would stand up to the roads down there. My plan involves a few full days offroad, driving roads that are very rocky and rough, plus lots of deep, soft sand. The roads beat up a regular 4x4, airing down helps a lot but still. IMO a very good set of tires and the ability to air down and up is crucial. There will also be places where the trail is tight and scratches are almost guaranteed.

Far as the dog, we've taken our dog to Baja before. You need some paperwork far as shots, but that's it.

Yeah, I will have an on board compressor and a 4lo and 4hi but no lockers. I'm not sure what the van is going to weigh, but deep sand doesn't sound fun. Not horribly concerned with some trail roughness (rocks) but depends on how many miles I'd have to travel in those rocks. Probably not the best trip to plan on without some scouting. And it is a big vehicle, very far from my TJ.

The trouble with my TJ is no place to haul my dog. I can haul all kinds of gear for camping / overlanding but I'd have to be able to haul my dog and that just won't cut it. Now, the Mojave Road or sections of the RimRocker trail - yes, the van WILL be traversing those routes.

Bart

Greg, for a few reasons I would prefer to tow the JK down to the border if I was able to pull this trip off. Is there any place to park a tow rig and trailer on the US side?

Greg

Admin
Greg, for a few reasons I would prefer to tow the JK down to the border if I was able to pull this trip off. Is there any place to park a tow rig and trailer on the US side?

I bet you could find somewhere in Yuma that you could safely store your truck and trailer, perhaps a storage lot? We usually stay in Yuma the night before crossing the border.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So I am pretty interested in this trip also. It would need to be around the Christmas new year time vs Thanksgiving. I have to work Thanksgiving this coming year as it's my holiday for call. My wife has zero interest in the trip bit she said I should make it a guys trip. My plan would he to tow my 2001 XJ to Phoenix and then drive jeep from there. Brother in law lives there and has room for tow rig and trailer.