Central Utah RME Hanging Tree Trail run?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have heard it's pretty rough and that body damage is quite possible.

This is very true. For anyone wanting to run it for the first time, be advised: body damage is not guaranteed, but it is very probable. I have managed to run the trail without any damage whatsoever... but I also ran it once where I got hung up on one obstacle and crunched three corners of my Jeep simultaneously.

So... yeah.

Bart

If you have front and rear lockers you stand a chance but your clearance and articulation will be an issue. With that said, shorter rigs seem to do better than longer rigs. If you can do upper Helldorado without help (sans the last waterfall) you should be okay, but the rocks are more jagged. I'm still debating on going, but will not if looks like it will turn into an all day, rock stacking event. The group only moves as fast as the slowest rig and HTT can be a nightmare. I have spent 8 hours on the trail with built and prepared rigs, and have also breezed through it in 3 hours. It changes every year.

smfulle

You know Stan, it's hard for me to say.... I haven't ran Hanging Tree myself. I have heard it's pretty rough and that body damage is quite possible. That said, I've seen how capable you are in your Willys and if I go, I'd want to take mine too.

I don't know where the total vehicle count will be, but Sunday June 17th is would be best for me. How about you?

I'm probably not really in this if it's one of those two weekends (June 17th and 24th)
Heading to the Black Hill's on the 18th for a week and that Sunday will be final pack and prep.
We're going to do some sight seeing trails with a big group of flat fenders, and then Jeff and I, and any other brave souls that want to join in the carnage, are going to have a go at Hal Johns and Kong.

Please don't plan around me, but if dates work out and the group is still small I'd try to make it down.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I am planning on running it on Father's Day, June 17 right now. Just two in the group right now.

I'd bring my CJ2A, but it's open in the front and on 31's. I have a Warn winch, don't mind scraping my way thru but also don't want to cause an all-day winch fest.

20180420_141218.jpg

RockChucker

The first time I ran the trail, Beach ran it in the Willy's he used to have. It was on 35s and locked front and rear, but he went through everything a lot easier than I did in my stock wheelbase TJ on 37s. Assuming it hasn't changed much since last year, my brother ran through in his TJ on 35s only needing help on Gordy's launch. I'm of the opinion that driver plays every bit as important a role as how equipped the rig is. That said, my family is planning to run it on memorial day. my jeep and my brothers almost like mine and some tjs. should be fun

RockChucker

I would love to go but after hearing that shorter wheelbase do better I fear for my LJ....

I did in my TJ that is 108. Your LJ will do great. The longer wheelbase will help a lot on the last waterfall.

My family and I did this trail on Memorial Day. What a nightmare. The trail was great, even though it rained most of the day. Mud sucks, but it was still fun. The nightmare came in the form of Tom's (land owner) employee named Carl. I talked with Tom back and forth the week leading up to Memorial Day, and he granted our group permission to park on his land near the trail head and cross his land on the way out so we didn't have to turn around. At the Maverik in town prior to running the trail, we were talking to several locals who said not to bother parking on the west side of the gate and that we'd be better of parking on the side of the road east of the gate on the county right of way. Sounded good to me, so that's what we did. Then proceeded to stay on all roads and travel across Tom's land to get to the trailhead. No harm no foul.

However, when we were finished with the trail and headed back to our tow rigs, Carl was parked on the county road and wouldn't let us pass to get to our tow rigs without stopping us. He gave me a huge story about how our rigs were parked illegally on private land and that he could have us arrested. I proceeded to tell him about my experience with the locals in the gas station and that that is in-fact county land and he couldn't do anything about it. And even if it was Tom's land, I had talked with him and gotten permission to park on his land and drive across it. And had text messages to prove it. His story changed a little at that point and said that had created a bunch of problems for him and Tom and that it still wasn't legal. Long story short, this is the 2nd time this guy has harassed my group when running this trail. From now on, there is no way that I will ever park anywhere near the trailhead. I'll probably park my tow rig on the side of the road just west of Maverik where it is super side. I'll still get permission from Tom to drive on his land, but I'm really sick of dealing with his employee that isn't in the loop with what is going on.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I did in my TJ that is 108. Your LJ will do great. The longer wheelbase will help a lot on the last waterfall.

My family and I did this trail on Memorial Day. What a nightmare. .

Please inform Tom what happened. It's the only way this will get rectified. He has an agreement with the county to keep those routes open, that's why those gates were put in as a compromise. If people are getting harassed, Tom and the county need to know about it.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Pretty sure I'll be there, in my CJ2A on 31's. I really need to fix my winch though, as I'm pretty sure I'll need it.

I wish I would be able to make this trip, we could just tuck you in behind me or Joey and just have a strap at the ready to save hassle and give you a tug when necessary.

Last time with @Coco and @YROC FAB. I drove the last water fall then tossed a strap to Colton which he hooked to Joey for me and I just tugged her up. :) (I don't think I could have driven that last waterfall with out @YROC FAB. showing me the line... His buggy made it looks smooth!

pkrfctr

I wish I would be able to make this trip, we could just tuck you in behind me or Joey and just have a strap at the ready to save hassle and give you a tug when necessary.

Last time with @Coco and @YROC FAB. I drove the last water fall then tossed a strap to Colton which he hooked to Joey for me and I just tugged her up. :) (I don't think I could have driven that last waterfall with out @YROC FAB. showing me the line... His buggy made it looks smooth!

you can make it, I know you want to, just do it.....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm hoping to make the 17th, but I don't think my winch will be working... so if I go, I may need some tugs. I'm about an 80% though, have a lot of things going on at home.

xjtony

I don't know if I'm going to make this one either. I injured myself a few weeks ago and have not been able to finish my last few buggy projects to be ready