Rock Crawling

Is there any interest in rock crawling competitions like UROC used to do years ago?

• Participating as a spectator

Votes: 50 46.3%
  • Participating as a competitor

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • Participating as a sponsor

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Participating as a Judge

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yes, the early comps were fun! I would love to do some more like that. Competing, judging, or watching. Unfortunately my current project will not be competitive at all. The next one could be if it looks like there are some fun comps to run. ;)

rondo

rondo
One year, the U4WDA had a winter rodeo (2002 I think...I actually took first overall). It had several different things - slow hill climb, obstacle course, barrel racing, blind driver...maybe a couple other events. It was really fun, nobody got stressed if they didn't win, everyone just had a lot of friendly competition - anyone could have won it. That is the kind of thing I would be interested in being involved in.

Hmm, i wonder if this is what i was in. When i first moved to SLC back in the day i joined the big horn 4x4 club and went to 5 mile pass. the comp was a lot of fun. i didn't have much skill but my YJ was locked with 33s. as i recall though the guys that won had vehicles that were WAY above everyone else competing. so not sure it was fair, but it was a blast doing it.
the blind driving part made me learn a lot about being married and communication :D

Bart

Where ever there is a comp, especially if it continues for consecutive years, there willl be high dollar rigs that show. There are quite a few around the area, some of them purpose built. They like little comps to go shake out the problems and also have fun.

I think that as long as there are defined classes there can still be fun had, no matter who shows up. Maybe even have a stipulation that if you are competing in a national series, your in a seperate catagory.

I wouldn't want to make it too labor intensive, but would love to see a local event series.

teknodestrukto

Hey Craig! What's up? I loved the older competions in Cedar, Vernal and St. George. 2002 and 2003 were pretty fun, and then it became work so a dropped out. I'd like to see something along the lines of the old Safari Triathalon. A few crawling courses, some mud, a rally course with GPS and way points...Two classes: "Street legal" and "not". I'm sure I could get an off-duty Trooper to do tech on the street legal class.:D

Craig S

Commando
Hey Craig! What's up? I loved the older competions in Cedar, Vernal and St. George. 2002 and 2003 were pretty fun, and then it became work so a dropped out. I'd like to see something along the lines of the old Safari Triathalon. A few crawling courses, some mud, a rally course with GPS and way points...Two classes: "Street legal" and "not". I'm sure I could get an off-duty Trooper to do tech on the street legal class.:D

Do you think anybody else would like to see some variety like mud, sand, rally and rock crawling?

Crinco

I miss the old rock crawls, but I am sure there is a lot of work to get something like that going again. How do you keep it from evolving like it did last time?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd be SUPER interested in a 'balanced' competition. I went with the group that did the Team Trophy Challenge in Tillamook. (http://www.redjeepclub.com/ttc05.php) That was probably the most fun I've ever had with a vehicle. I KNOW EZ Rhino has some ideas regarding how an event like that would work in our terrain.

If it had a rockcrawling portion, that'd only make it better. :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
despite the fact that most people here are voting against mud being invloved(including myself)... let's face it, all competitors should be required to have mudflaps on their rigs.. ;)

-Jason

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
If you mean old-school such as early UROC and stuff like the color country challenge im in.... those days of comp, registered trail rides, rti comps and car shows ruled. but Im not sure if it would be possible to bring back the nastalgic, when your average trail rig these days is better built than the comp rigs of those days. It would be cool to compete though without a corporate sponcer. oh yea, no mud please.