rock krawler products

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorkAlert

I hate to bring this up again but according to the last thread (rockkrawler.com) I tried to get a general concensus about the rockkrawler products. Having come to the conclusion that it seemed to be a matter of opinion I decided to try out something made by them. I chose to experiment with the boomarang shackles for the xj. When I recieved the package I pulled them out and began to inspect them. First thing I noticed was the welding appeared less than professional. There seemed to be good penetration but a lot of unecessary spatter. More of a concern was that one of the shackles was not straight. I mean this by where the straight portion of the shackle is welded to the poly-urethane joint thingy ( I'm missing vocab.) . It was off. How much I don't know but it certainly wasn't square like the other one I had recieved. It just looked like powder-coated shotty workmanship. Lastley, and by doing this I probably screwed my-self out of any re-fund or warrenty, I thought it strange that there were no grease zerks so I took the liberty of putting my own in. Low and be hold right beneach the powder coating was a well developed layer of rust. A bubble even. I don't know how I didn't notice before I began drilling. Not really a big deal, but for a product I am paying for it is a detail non-the-less. I do not think it is hard to properly prepare a surface for powder coating. I will be re-installing my RE shackles promptly.

My conclusion is that I will not ever purchase RK products nor recommend RK products to anyone. Someone will ask, "How can you dismiss all the other products they make? You didn't try them out, did you?" Nope, I sure didn't and I won't either as a matter of principle. If a company is building a product and does not put thier pride into one component I see no reason to find out if that same quality is going to surface later.

Finally, the lesson I learned is don't be lazy (and don't do anything to void your warrenty). I will now be fabricating my own because I can do better if this is what is out there.

Comment away!!

95jeepgrndchke

I think you have a great opinion on the situation, in advance to what everyone says, Opinions are like buttholes we all have one and they all stink

mariocherokee

'12 4Runner
this is kind of off topic but on the last rockkrawler thread somebody mentioned running the clayton kit on a ZJ and offering to show it to me...does anybody know who that was? Was the last thread in general cause i couldn't find it. :ugh:

mariocherokee said:
this is kind of off topic but on the last rockkrawler thread somebody mentioned running the clayton kit on a ZJ and offering to show it to me...does anybody know who that was? Was the last thread in general cause i couldn't find it. :ugh:

Probly me, Brad (my brother) has the long arm kit (installed by Suka) on his grand cherokee with the triangulated four link in the rear, also, purchased from Clayton, the truss and rear brackets for a ford 9", we put in a 8.8 but they're they same so far as the brackets go. You can look at it any time really, it'll be at my work next door (north) to Mepco. If it's not there it'll be at Mepco.
Stop in and say hi if you come by.

-Chris

DorkAlert

mariocherokee said:

I deleted it because it turned into a "who knows more" thing and less of a general opinion.

iwakunijeeper

*** Ambassador to Japan
mariocherokee said:
Yeah it was turning into that, good call.
In reference to the claytons kit you can see alot of people that are running them on NAGCA.com and also there is a good view of them on a guy named adams jeep at Jeeparena.net I would definitely go with Clayton. The only other suggestion I might have would be from Kevins jeep parts. He was going to make a kit but I am not sure if he ever finished it. I quit checking on that when I sold my WJ. His website is Kevinsjeepparts.com also look at claytons web site. I think it is claytonoffroad.com
P.S. I do not claim to be an expert on this I have never run any longarm kits but was planning on it and did a lot of the research you are trying to do now. Good luck

95jeepgrndchke

Clayton builds an awsome kit but i have to say when it comes time to long arm my ZJ i dont want to pay $1500 :eek: so i will probably op. to have a friend of mine build me one off of the same basis of the clayton one :D

DorkAlert

No...because I drilled into the shackles to put in my own grease zerks...so instead going through the pains of having someone tell me they will not honor the warranty on my part it will be better if I don't by RK products nor recommend them to people.

Regardless if they choose to do something about it the damage is already done. Shouldn't send out crappy product in the first place.

addifan

I read something on JU the other day that RK is now under new ownership and that they are going to improve their products. Has anyone else heard about this?

Andy

aka. Hollywood
DorkAlert said:
I deleted it because it turned into a "who knows more" thing and less of a general opinion.

Sorry, but I would rather go by the FACTS rather than opinion! You should care less about opinion and what others will think of you. It is a FACT that RK builds a kit that is up to severe use, is it not? I have proof of this you can see it anytime you want for your verification! Again sorry, but I am steadfast in the fact that RK builds a high quality long arm kit.

Andy

I would like to see what you are calling "inferior welds", please post a pic?

DorkAlert

Andy said:
Sorry, but I would rather go by the FACTS rather than opinion! You should care less about opinion and what others will think of you. It is a FACT that RK builds a kit that is up to severe use, is it not? I have proof of this you can see it anytime you want for your verification! Again sorry, but I am steadfast in the fact that RK builds a high quality long arm kit.

Andy

Don't be a moron...it has nothing to do with what others think of me...the opinion I'm refering to is the opinion of other's and thier expierences with RK. About half seemed to like the product so I thought I would try it out. I had a bad expierence. I'm not trying to bash RK product, however from what I can tell RK may advertise that they build a "Severe Duty" product but from the shackles I recieved I wouldn't drop another dime on there stuff. How did you get to be so loyal to Rk anyway? Regardless they sent me bumb product...what are you going to do about it? Question me for trying something new? I gave Rk a fair shot and from my expierience they failed.

They may build a "high quality long arm kit" but that is definitly your opinion, not fact. I will post pictures....but like I said the welds have good penetration but are not profesional grade. Be patient it may take me till next week.

Andy said:

Andy

Holly cow dude, let it end! What more do you want?

DorkAlert said:
Seriously...you'd think that we couldn't express opionions on this forum....

Not unless you've actually had the product. (and come to think of it, I guess not even then huh?)

So, this forum is now officially closed to everyone's oppinion except for Andy's.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
crimsonride said:
Not unless you've actually had the product. (and come to think of it, I guess not even then huh?)

So, this forum is now officially closed to everyone's oppinion except for Andy's.

What about min?? :D I am afraid that what DorkAlert is going to be referring to as "not professional grade" welds is going to be the spatter caused by automated machine MIG welding.... but we will have to see....it may take till next week though :rolleyes: HOP ON IT BOY...take some pics.

Personally, I think that shackles are a bad product to judge quality on?? Maybe I am wrong. I know the shackles I bought for my CJ aesthetically(sp?) looked like ass, but they got the job done. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.