Rockcrawling Comp. idea.....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
After talking to Andy about something along these lines, I had a similar idea with a twist on it. How about a Rockcrawling competition where (generally) these are the rules-

*Teams of 5 people, 4 or more teams.
*$1000 TOTAL limit in buying AND Building the Competition rig.
*Tires can be borrowed/outsourced, (Won't count towards $1000 limit)
*2 Months to build vehicle.
*Competition held at Little Moab. (Local, known place w/ insane lines)
*Rules including a Rollcage. (6 point min. design), helmet, etc.

Competitions usually favor the folks with unlimited funds and anytime access to the most tool-stocked shops. I would like to pull the $$ out of the picture and see who has the best Building/Fab and driving/teamwork skills.

If we organize a team of 5 friends and split up the costs and work, $1000 between a team of five isn't too much $$ per person. Backyard building at its best! We would have to ask for proof of $$$ spent.....vehicle purchase price, needed parts, etc.

The results I'm thinking about include a bunch of rigs w/ welded diffs, hacked sheetmetal, big tires and lots of fun.

Am I right in thinking there would be intrest in this? Could we all gather enough friends to get something like this rolling? Let me know what you guys think and start lets get some teams going!

tuck

spud crawler
I think it's a good idea. I'll come watch. Kinda has a demolition derby flavor to it. Cheap automotive competition. I like it.

Putting a spending ceiling is a good idea, I think it might be a little difficult to regulate. Especially when people start claiming chromoly as scrap metal that they found in the shop for free, or a charitable source donated a dana 60.... but it's definitely a step in a good direction.

Greg

Admin
Putting a spending ceiling is a good idea, I think it might be a little difficult to regulate. Especially when people start claiming chromoly as scrap metal that they found in the shop for free, or a charitable source donated a dana 60.... but it's definitely a step in a good direction.

Regulation- True! Honesty would be truly needed, but not relyed on. Hence, proof of $$ spent. Donations would have to be included in as the worth of the item. This is all in fun, so no one needs to sneak things in to win. Lets see what can be done when everyone is fair!

Can you even buy a block, tranny, t-case, 2 axles and a frame from a yard for 1000?

Who needs a 'yard? Just today I saw a '81 Toyota 4x4 in running/driving condition for $200 in the SLC Classifieds. That leaves $800 to spend to make it wheel! My bro and I picked up a Full size Jeep Cherokee w/ a 360, Granny T18 and Dana 44's for $600 a few years ago! Wrecking Yards exist to make $$, not hook you up! I personally would avoid wreckers for this project, buy a running beater from someone who just wants to get rid of it, and start welding/hacking/fabbing.

The idea is more Redneck fun with a twist of seriousness than anything. Who cares if it has Two Dana 60's, Chromoly Tube work, etc.....

Buy a cheap beater, borrow a welder and a set of 35's and make it happen. It's kinda like Junkyard wars, but not really. The rig just depends on what you start with, who can contribute what, and your own Fab skills.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Hmm, kinda sounds fun! Ditch the Little Moab idea though, that place sucks rocks. (get it?:D ) Go for Desert Mountain instead, it's much much larger and more fun.

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by I Lean
Hmm, kinda sounds fun! Ditch the Little Moab idea though, that place sucks rocks. (get it?:D ) Go for Desert Mountain instead, it's much much larger and more fun.

I was thinking about Little Moab since it's somewhat centralized. Trailering a slew of beaters to Delta just for a day would be.....ummmmm.....too serious, considering the event?!? :D

But, you may have a point. There's TON'S more land to mess stuff up on.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Carl and I would be up for it. BTW, there was an early '80's Toyota 4x4 pickup (that runs!) in the thrifties just the other day for $200. That rig right there would be an excellent start for a team and would most certainly hold up to one day of abuse. I think this could happen with a firm commitment of at least 4 teams, but most people don't have enough time or money to work on their own rigs. It's cool in theory, but I don't know if many will have any serious interest.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I like the idea! lol Don't know about the $200 though lol.

Per the roll cages though I don't think they should be added into the cost as it is a necessary item and you might get people skimping on the cage for other goodies. So make the cage a any price goes deal.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Yea for the 2k you barely get gears and lockers..... So no crawlers, new tranz, killer suspention, so.......
It will be an all go(gas pedal) no show event. The rig would NOT be set up to play anywhere serios. BREAKAGE / CARNAGE. The cage needs to be of higher quality...Look what happens if you aren't built right on say potato salad hill????

tuck

spud crawler
I can see it now. Jeep wagoneer/cherokee for $500. Dana 44's front and rear. Grab the welder: Spring over, throw springs under the frame in the rear, weld the diffs, sawzall the thing till it doesn't weigh very much and has a decent departure angle, chop the top, cage it, 35's, done. I think it could be done under the said budget.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Skyetone
Yea for the 2k you barely get gears and lockers..... So no crawlers, new tranz, killer suspention, so.......
It will be an all go(gas pedal) no show event. The rig would NOT be set up to play anywhere serios. BREAKAGE / CARNAGE. The cage needs to be of higher quality...Look what happens if you aren't built right on say potato salad hill????

hence the beauty of a zuk. 200$ for initial cost. 200$ for a locker in the rear and 450$ for 4:1 gears with room left over!!! maybe another locker!!:D :D

xjc

I give up :(
this idea rocks!!!

It would give all of us poor people a chance to compete and have fun. There are allot of details to work out but the idea is going in the right direction.

If you had the competition regularly you would probably have a lot of problems with cheaters. I think a one time affair on a short time scale would be awesome.

You would want to require teams to register some how and have a start date. You would also probably do well to make the teams present their 1k in cash at the start date. Its a lot harder to over runn your budget if you are spending cash out of a pot. When the pot goes dry, you stop.

This is taking red neck car carnage to a whole new level:D :D :D

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Vonski
Carl and I would be up for it. BTW, there was an early '80's Toyota 4x4 pickup (that runs!) in the thrifties just the other day for $200. That rig right there would be an excellent start for a team and would most certainly hold up to one day of abuse. I think this could happen with a firm commitment of at least 4 teams, but most people don't have enough time or money to work on their own rigs. It's cool in theory, but I don't know if many will have any serious interest.

Thats the exact Toyota I saw in the paper!

Concerning the Time matter, I think that between 5 people, you could toss together a rig that would work. Everyone just needs somewhere to store their project while its being built. Call your team up on a Saturday and give one person the Sawzall, one person the air tools, another the welder, and the remaining 2 people can alter the suspension. I think it's totally do-able IF everyone had solid commitments within their team.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
CAGE CAGE CAGE CAGE CAGE

Thats all I have to say if I didn't have a shell on my truck i'm pretty sure that my neck would be broken right now. And we don't want any of that going around.

Greg

Admin
Agreed! ;) I personally know of folks with 3 Tube Benders on this BB. Rules would require at the least, a 6 Point cage which is well built. Cost on a basic 6 piont cage shouldn't be too much, right?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'd agree with onetuff76, the cage is required, but I don't think it should factor into the cost.

this sounds like a great idea though!!

Originally posted by onetuff76
I like the idea! lol Don't know about the $200 though lol.

Per the roll cages though I don't think they should be added into the cost as it is a necessary item and you might get people skimping on the cage for other goodies. So make the cage a any price goes deal.