Rockcrawling Comp. idea.....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Definite on the BBQ, maybe the prize could be a side of beef for the winning team. How about a "Junkyard Wars" style trophy? Why not just start the time limit right now? And as for building a goold old american rig, I just picked up a crew cab for 300 and spent that much on the drive train, all I need is an engine now and I know I could be under 1K.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Well unless I can throw together a team, all my friends are in college and we're all broke :D, I'll be willing to judge.

a few rule ideas? As for the I already have a vehicle to use in the comp, I say we use the lowest blue book or appraised value for the vehicle. All equipment must be stock, anything not stock will be deducted from the $1k limit.

purchased vehicles need to have a proof of purchase and list of equipment at the time of purchase (pictures will serve as this list if they show equpiment installed).
No interteam purchases of vehicles or equipment.
Any equipment owned you must provide an advertised price or quote for it.
All steel used for fabrication will not be accounted for in the $1K

lol I'd be happy to help write up the rules if you need Greg lol

hey should we maybe put a rule that the vehicle must have a chassis or unibody? would keep from building buggies

tuck

spud crawler
I think if everything revolves around fun more than competition it will be easier to let the honesty system rule. If someone wants to claim a detroit as a lockright, that's their problem. It's all in the name of fun, and if you can't have fun without cheating what kind of sorry loser are you? :D Those are my thoughts anyway. If anyone wants an Idaho team member, I'm a free agent, otherwise I'll plan on snapping photos or judging.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I totally dissagree with the "blue book" Idea. We're talking about rigs purchased from the thrifties. and as for buggies, I say bring them on... this is about backyard fab, and that's where buggies came from... make the whole thing out of square tube for all I care... everyone is so hung up on .120 DOM it makes me sick.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
who would pay 120 for a pair of coils to be used on a thrasher? Man, ain't you ever been to pick-n-pull? I say if a part needs to be assessed a value, we use pick-n-pull's price sheet as blue book!

WJL

It gets complicated real quick as one reads.
As someone wrote you want to keep it low key, gatherings draw people and attention. IE: Tree huggers, ragers, cops, ect the list goes on.
Rules have to be made and followed.
Need Judges
First aid people
Permits
Sounds stupid but where do you goto the bathroom.
I would love to see somthing like this happen lots of fun but also turns into alot of work. Not cheap for participants or cordinators.

Making a whole nother branch of the pros in the end?

look at the previous post, conflicts are starting to brew already.
I just added to the pot, now were steaming:D

Last edited:

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Like I have a grand to just "toss" out the window... If I get a toyota then can I borrow my longfields? borrow my 40's and gass the truck untill it dies?
I could get a line on fliers, pass them out everywhere. Where would you hold the "event"? Could you charge admission? that could be the purse.
I cannot spare the $$ but would love to be a team player or judge or whatever. I have a HF bender and a welder.....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, even though it all sounds good, I think we need to keep it SMALL. More of a unoffical event that select people are involved in. We can do a BBQ or something afterwards and make a fun gathering of it.

Heres what I don't want......

-The liabilities of an professional event.
-Event Insurance.
-Porta-poties.
-An event that gets too big to handle, etc.

What I do want......

-Limited #'s of people. (Those involved in the Comp, Judges and a few, select people)
-Good, safe fun.
-Casual atmosphere. (Its not UROC or RRCA, this is just for the hell of it)

What are the thoughts here? Are those good ideas? I want to keep it simple. I think we'll limit the number of teams also, say 8-10 max.

Like I have a grand to just "toss" out the window... If I get a toyota then can I borrow my longfields? borrow my 40's and gass the truck untill it dies?

Form a TEAM! Split the costs! Find 4 people to go in on this with! 5 people/$1000=$200 per person. Do you have $200? Any parts NOT ORIGINALLY on the rig WILL be added in to the total cost. The Value of the part is what counts. If you can buy and build a Toyota, (including the price of the Longfields) for under the $1000 mark, then your eligible. Tires won't be included in the $1K limit.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i really think what this should amount to is the title of king of the hill. no prize money, maybe a small trophy, but nothing to encourage people to cheat. judging should be based soley on completing the obstacle under a certain time. backing, cones, all that bologna just get irritating. we could have cones demarking the course and have a judge to keep everyone on the course but timed obstacles are the best. throttle stompers will always win but breakage comes to those who throttle stomp an obviously unprepared vehicle!!

1- no prize money (i rescind my last post on money) maybe a trophy like a birfzilla or something!! :D
2- minimal course rules
3- BBQ :D :D

i remember back in the days that we went to scout camp, we had the broken paddle award. we would snap a paddle and sign it and keep it for the troop. we should do a broken axle award. we all have them laying around the shop!! lets weld them together to make a trophy that is passed from winner to winner. hell i dont know. lets just keep it low key and have some frickin fun!!

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
why don't we skip the $$ issue and just run what we have now. then it's truley a test of who's who on this board. we have v-8's against 4poppers with gears from hell. I call out vonski to a truck-off! His cage against my mullet :) Greg you are starting to get cocky lately.....Brent can't even handle lil moab for seconds before he brakes......LOL
Then we have say 10 people competing, for fun, and the rest can come watch who is king of the hill!!! I get that all the time. It's just trash talk untill you put up. Had a ford on 40's (remeber onetuff) that called me out. I said lets go 40's on 40's and he chickened out. I win!! Bragging rights :)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
we can have run what ya brung and our special low$ class but that gets complicated. my low$ is going to be run what ya brung so lets set a date.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Speaking of Tropies, I made a white elephant gift for christmas this year out of all my broken parts and pieces... it became a rocking horse!

Definite on the BBQ. 8-10 teams seems like too many, I like the original idea of 4-5. Maybe we could weld the trophy to the winners hood:D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Oooh, gimme some lockers and its on.

lets see, value of a 95 ZJ w/ 120k miles, no doors/roof/body/carpet/interior/dash/salvage title etc.

value $200 bucks.

someone build me some 800 dollar locked axles and it's on like Donky Kong. :D

Cody

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Well a truck with no roof and wierd doors.....200$ BUT AT LEAST MINE SAYS TOYOTA. That alone is worth 1k :) see a board challenge is already getting to be more fun

thornhill

maybe we could do the run-what-you-brung board challenge first and if that goes good we could do the low-buck challenge latter.

jeremy i got dibs on todd being on my team either way.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

jeremy i got dibs on todd being on my team either way. [/B]

You can have him, anybody who's Jeep's in as bad of shape as his wouldn't be much of an asset!:D Besides, how much help can he be from 500 miles away?

ewander

I'm game. I can get a team together no problem, if:

You stick with the 1K rule not counting tires.

At least a sport cage, and a helmet.

It should be kept small if possible. Try it once, then grow from there.

Let's do it in September down in Little Moab, or out at 5 Mile Pass.

I can bring the porta potties.............

Rock on!