Rzr or jeep

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
We have always had Jeeps mainly because we tow them behind our motorhome for either sightseeing and/or off-roading fun. In 2011 we were contemplating selling our sand rail and getting a RZR because several of my co-workers have them and they sounded like fun. My wife and I had a blast in our sand rail but I didn't want to put dirt tires on that and run it in the dirt as it was too nice for that. We researched and contemplated for most of 2011 and in the end the Jeep won out and we sold our previous Jeep and upgraded to our 2011 Wrangler Unlimited.

A couple of the big deal breakers for us was one trip to Moab we were sitting with a group of friends eating lunch and a group of about 20+ RZR(side by sides) came roaring past. The dust was terrible due to their speed and the only one even remotely clean was the leader. ALL of the ones following were absolutely filthy, the only thing you could see was their eyes through their goggles, hoodies and scarfs trying to keep the dust from being ingested. My wife looked at me and said "HELL NO"! Unfortunately that was the closing argument.

The other issue for me was that many of the trails we run are quite a distance from either Moab or Ouray area where we wheel a lot. I don't want to break camp only to trailer the RZR to the trail and then find somewhere to park our coach while we are on the trail. Also many of the trails we run are not out and back, meaning you don't usually come back to the same place you left the pavement. Many times another town away or at least 15-20+ miles away.

Third reason is when we travel to the trail for a day of wheeling, many times we end up heading directly into town with friends to eat dinner. We can drive right past camp and head to town and we are still relatively clean after a day of wheeling.

Lastly, I am probably a prude but I along with my wife enjoy our heater and A/C when playing. :D

Although they do look like fun, I will take my Jeep any day of the week and twice on Sunday over a side by side.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Mike.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So what most of you are saying really isn't related to Jeep vs Side by Side because if you own a true Rock Buggy the pros and cons are the same. SXS and buggies need to be trailered, have no heater or AC, etc. So really, isn't the debate on what you prefer to drive? This post could go on for days going back and forth. As I mentioned, I have a very nice CJ7, a fully stock FJ40, a completely built cruiser rock buggy and two rzr's. It's nice to have a verity of toys, but the ones that get used the most are the SxS. It's all personal preference.

Run what ya brung.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
So what most of you are saying really isn't related to Jeep vs Side by Side because if you own a true Rock Buggy the pros and cons are the same. SXS and buggies need to be trailered, have no heater or AC, etc. So really, isn't the debate on what you prefer to drive? This post could go on for days going back and forth. As I mentioned, I have a very nice CJ7, a fully stock FJ40, a completely built cruiser rock buggy and two rzr's. It's nice to have a verity of toys, but the ones that get used the most are the SxS. It's all personal preference.

Run what ya brung.

That would be a fair assessment. My son and I debate back and forth about building a buggy. Something I would be less upset about if I got a scratch in it, but my end result is I would still have to trailer it to the trail so I would be in the same dilemna. Currently I occassionally haul my Jeep in our enclosed trailer but that is only if I want to take our Harley along with us, the coach and trailer stay at camp. If I were to build a buggy I would be in the same scenario where I would have to break camp to trailer the buggy to the trail.

Another reason why I don't build a buggy, which would be a similar build to my sand rail, would be that we have downsized our fleet over the past year and a half and I don't want to start collecting things again, nor do I have the room. Sometimes less is more and we can do the majority of what we want off-road wise with our Jeep.

I agree it would be nice to have a wider assortment of toys. I have been there and although I thought it was fun at the time, I found myself ALWAYS having something that needed attention. Whether the snowmobiles needed new bearings in the skid, the sand rail needed a service, rail was out of NOS, race car needed some tweaking, the dirt bikes needed a new tire on one of them, the sand quads needed the carbs tuned, it was always something and the time and money just poured into them.

Mike.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I have a very nice CJ7, a fully stock FJ40, a completely built cruiser rock buggy and two rzr's. It's nice to have a verity of toys, but the ones that get used the most are the SxS.
Run what ya brung.

This is exactly why i like a well rounded, built jeep (not stock or buggy); overall, it works well enough in all areas to give the most enjoyment with the least hassle, by far. And in addition, anything expensive isn't as fun because you're scared to scratch it.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
That sounds like a wonderful problem to have.

Unless it was the last thing on your mind, the rail was loaded in the trailer and you were getting ready to leave. Then is flat sucked. Luckily that only happened once, but it still sucked climbing over everything in the trailer trying not to scratch anything and working my way to the back of the rail.

Mike.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Yeah... Who would want one of those stupid golf carts anyway....

View attachment 100693

this guy
tony-golfcart-jump2.jpg

:D

Who wants one and who wants one enough to hand someone 20 grand so they can take it out a couples times a year, are two very different questions.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Remember, there are those that can't afford to spend this kind of money and there are those that can. There is no problem spending 20-30K on a toy if you can afford it ;)

Jesser04

The problem with the sxs for me is they are advancing so fast year to year at this point if you have one that is three years old it's garbage compared to the new ones. So if you want to play you can count on buying a new one every other year. Could you imagine buying a 1000xp this spring for 20k and now the turbo 1000 is out. Talk about getting kicked in the junk.

NYCEGUY01

That happened when I had my 800. The 900 came out pretty soon after and that was a whole new machine..

That sucked...lol

As far as the 1000 turbo its really not bad.
The turbo model is around 5k more than the non turbo.
For that same 5k you can add a turbo that gets you more performance than the factory option does.

Mine will be getting one along with a few other goodies this winter...lol

The real issue with these UTV's is they are addicting and HUGE money pits..

50k is pretty easy to get to once you start building it... Head to the dunes for a weekend and you will see several builds approaching the 50k mark.

25k machine. 5-6k in turbo. 2k in motor work/ clutches. 7-8k in long travel suspension. 2-3k in cage/doors. 2-3k in misc other accessories and the list goes on and on..

Im not at 50 but we are slowly getting there... Since this pic it has gotten full doors, bigger clutch setup and some new electronics.

Will get some motor work and a turbo this winter.

xp sf.jpg

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
When we were in Ouray, CO last week going over California and Corkscrew Gulches there was a hellacious rain storm hit. There were three side-by-sides sitting out in the middle of the trail and the occupants were huddled under a tree trying to stay dry. We stopped to see if they needed anything and the lady asked if there was a nice hotel around where she could get warm and dry. We asked if anyone wanted a ride down and I think she did but her husband said they were fine, she didn't look happy.:mad: At that point my wife looked over at me and said she was glad we had the Jeep as we rolled the window up and continued onward.:D

Mike.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
That happened when I had my 800. The 900 came out pretty soon after and that was a whole new machine..

That sucked...lol

As far as the 1000 turbo its really not bad.
The turbo model is around 5k more than the non turbo.
For that same 5k you can add a turbo that gets you more performance than the factory option does.

Mine will be getting one along with a few other goodies this winter...lol

The real issue with these UTV's is they are addicting and HUGE money pits..

50k is pretty easy to get to once you start building it... Head to the dunes for a weekend and you will see several builds approaching the 50k mark.

25k machine. 5-6k in turbo. 2k in motor work/ clutches. 7-8k in long travel suspension. 2-3k in cage/doors. 2-3k in misc other accessories and the list goes on and on..

Im not at 50 but we are slowly getting there... Since this pic it has gotten full doors, bigger clutch setup and some new electronics.

Will get some motor work and a turbo this winter.

View attachment 100751

Ah, this is the one I blasted around jackpot
(Thanks again for that!!!)

I fell in love with your sxs and pretty much every day sense I wanted to sell the bronco and get one like yours lol
Freaking awesome loads of fun.

My duddy sean just got a 900rzr and he says he loves it more then his dirt bike and buggy put together and is probably going to sell the buggy.

I am thinking about getting one...