Safety and Emissions?

Revitup-n-go

Well, it's that time of year again...... I have to get my safety and emissions test done. And of course I dont want to have to install mud-flaps and all of the other bogus crap they consider for a vehicle to be safe. Nudge nudge, wink wink....

Anyone know of a safety emissions shop that is 4WD friendly? :D

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
:rolleyes:

In my opinion the most "friendly" shops will know and understand the laws, and not hastle you about the legal stuff, but even they will still need to see mud flaps and the obvious stuff. It is worth your time to put on some flaps, get the brake lights working, wipers moving, etc and get it done right.

The "un friendly" ones will refuse to inspect it because "it looks like it is too tall" and they are just uneducated about what is allowed or not.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Well, it's that time of year again...... I have to get my safety and emissions test done. And of course I dont want to have to install mud-flaps and all of the other bogus crap they consider for a vehicle to be safe. Nudge nudge, wink wink....

Anyone know of a safety emissions shop that is 4WD friendly? :D

Why don't you just obey the laws? Then you won't have anything to worry about and, nether will the shop that dose it.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Yea its a pain in the A$$ but just throw on some flaps and flares or go find some tinny tires to get everything tucked in for inspection. I built some quick disconnect flares for mine and yea they look stupid but serve a purpose.

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
You know?? I've heard a few times lately where the cops are finding out which shop passed a vehicle that shouldn't have passed and had their licenses suspended.

If my stock vehicle should have to pass, so should your non-stock! Just get it legal and get over it..........

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I don't know why people always want Safty and emmissions people to be dishonest and breake the law by passing their vehicles.. People always want an honest mechanic untill it serves them to have a dishonest one.

If you want to have the ability to have your vehicle pass go get your licenses and open your own shop and put the risk on yourself.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think it is funny that putting on some small tires will get you passed even though that is way less safe than not having fender flares. If you have ever driven your lifted vehicle on really small tires you know what I mean. My friend just lost his safety certificate because he helped out a friend of a friend and when the guy got pulled over he turned him in to avoid a fix it ticket. that is lame. I see both sides to they argument about following the laws even if you think they are stupid. Is everybody happy when they get pulled over and get a ticket? They should be because the cops are just doing there job. When they pull you over do you ask for the maximum ticket he could give you because the law is the law and you want an honest officer. Does everyone love paying taxes? Anyway asking a safety guy to be dishonest puts him in a crappy position.

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
I think it is funny that putting on some small tires will get you passed even though that is way less safe than not having fender flares. If you have ever driven your lifted vehicle on really small tires you know what I mean. My friend just lost his safety certificate because he helped out a friend of a friend and when the guy got pulled over he turned him in to avoid a fix it ticket. that is lame. I see both sides to they argument about following the laws even if you think they are stupid. Is everybody happy when they get pulled over and get a ticket? They should be because the cops are just doing there job. When they pull you over do you ask for the maximum ticket he could give you because the law is the law and you want an honest officer. Does everyone love paying taxes? Anyway asking a safety guy to be dishonest puts him in a crappy position.

Nicely said!!

ALF

SURE!?
Nicely said!!

very...

It sucks that I have to find new rims and tires to pass just because of my beadlocks, and I don't even plan on driving my jeep on the road, but all in all this is the price we pay for modifying our rigs. If it that big of a deal license it OHV and never worry about it again. What bothers me is there are some safety requirements that my DD got failed on, my roll pan for instance, that i see installed on trucks all over the place and it passed with it for years but last year they made me put my bumper back on:mad2:

Jay5.9L

I would think most places would not even care about your bead locks due to the number of fake locks running around. (BTW are your locks on KSL?)

I do agree that there are some trucks running around that would not pass for several reasons but I had to throw on mud flaps on my dodge and the rear was factory height! It really depends on where you go and how strict or beyond strict they are.

ALF

SURE!?
I would think most places would not even care about your bead locks due to the number of fake locks running around. (BTW are your locks on KSL?)

I do agree that there are some trucks running around that would not pass for several reasons but I had to throw on mud flaps on my dodge and the rear was factory height! It really depends on where you go and how strict or beyond strict they are.

nope they aren't mine...I need to mount up my mudflaps and I'm building a knock off spare tire carrier license plate bracket like the one Rock Hard sells and I should be good to go, got the windsheild washers working last night:D

Jay5.9L

wipers are always good :)

I just need a set of wide flares and my CJ is totally street legal. Its a pain but better than always looking over your shoulder to see if that cop just pulled a U-turn to get a better look at your rig.

ALF

SURE!?
wipers are always good :)

I just need a set of wide flares and my CJ is totally street legal. Its a pain but better than always looking over your shoulder to see if that cop just pulled a U-turn to get a better look at your rig.

Maybe he isn't trying to get a better look at the rig, Maybe he thinks ya got a perty mouth:handlebars: :rofl:

Joking aside... No matter what you do sometimes they'll still hunt for things its better to minimize what they can ticket for.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
believe me if a cop really wants to give you a ticket they will find something no matter what you do... but your attitude goes along way with how well they will look the other way...

just get the thing legal and stop worrying like everyone said... or move to wyoming where they don't have safetly and emissions... course every car coming at you you have to wonder if it has brakes to stop with or if you should move two lanes over....

Revitup-n-go

Well.... Wow! I got an ear full.
Thanks for the feedback.... I'm not trying to be dishonest or put others in a crappy position... I just think the laws are pretty silly and didnt want to have to replace my cracked windshield and fabricate flaps. I just know that some shops are picky and others are not.... I was looking for the latter. No matter, new windshield is in and holes are being drilled for some pretty hoakey flaps. Savings for the upcoming Moab trip are gone. :mad: :( :-\ But, at least I wont have to be watching the rearview knowing that the tabs are expired!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
It is good to see someone take feedback as just that. You really did get some good responses. Now when that F350 on 37" tires and no flaps chips your windshild you will have a good reason to be pissed :D

By the way, my flaps are held on with zip ties right now. They don't have to be anything too fancy. But when your rig has flaps, and the one next to you doesn't you know who is going to be getting pulled over. Drive on