sammi SOA laws

redrock

my buddy has a sami and went to get a lift and they told him that a SOA would not pass the lift laws for utah is that true or they just saying that to sell him something else

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by redrock
my buddy has a sami and went to get a lift and they told him that a SOA would not pass the lift laws for utah is that true or they just saying that to sell him something else

I have never had a problem. One of the largest manufacturers of Suzuki Samurai Spring over lift kits is headquartered in Heber City Utah.www.rockyroadoutfitters.com

There is nothing in the books to my knowledge. I know Glenn Of the Above company was present for the lift law change so he would be up to date.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
That is true to a point.

If the axels under the rig came from the factory SUA then it is not legal.
If the axels under the rig came from the factory set up with SOA design, then it is legal.

Thus, if you swap in some axles that came SOA OEM you are good. The point being, The factory welded sring purches "can not be changed" (I don't agree). They just don't want some back yard "think I can do anything" guy doing a sloppy weld and driving down the road.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you are not going to get hasseled. there are hundred of SPOA samurais running around the state and I have never heard on instance of harassment by the police. If your buddy buys lift springs, HE WILL REGRET IT. they are so frickin hard and the samurai is so light, he will pee blood regularly!! do the SPOA and forget about the legality issue. just make sure you get a good weld on the new perches...but be careful, the housings are pretty thin and you can burn through easily....the comparison of a beer cans thickness comes to mind.....

redrock

cool when i was in high school my buddy did the SOA and loved it and theres one in town with one i was just wondering i will let him know thanks

Caleb

now tell me honestly how many UHP or safety inspection centers will know if it was SOA or SUA from the factory if its done cleanly...but as Shawn legaly it supposed to stay the same as factory...

redrock

not to start a fight but i was looking at the sammis and to me they don't even look welded if i think hard enough my buddy just flip the perches one weekend i don't remember so don't quote me and i was just asking for a friend wether he does it or not just up to him anyways

Caleb

they are welded from the factory...even though they may not look like it...I hasve tried bolt on spring pads and it did not work at all...first time I drove it my pinion shot straight up and I busted a u-joint in my d-line...that night I welded them on...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
get the rocky road spring perches because they wrap around the whole housing and weld to the old perches. they are a lot but they are totally worth it because if not welded properly, regular perches like to dent the housing or even tear out of the housing.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by redrock
that a SOA would not pass the lift laws for utah is that true

This is what I answered.

IF, someone wants to be Legal, it would not pass.
IF, the UHP wants to be a prick (which they can be) you will get a ticket.

Would I do it? ya,
You asked what the law was not wether it should be done or not.

redrock

Originally posted by Shawn

This is what I answered.

IF, someone wants to be Legal, it would not pass.
IF, the UHP wants to be a prick (which they can be) you will get a ticket.

Would I do it? ya,
You asked what the law was not wether it should be done or not.
your right i didn't ask sorry

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by supergper
now tell me honestly how many UHP or safety inspection centers will know if it was SOA or SUA from the factory if its done cleanly...but as Shawn legaly it supposed to stay the same as factory...

The Highway Patrol does have a few "Vehicle Enforcment" troopers. They are trained in all aspects of the law, cars , 4x4's, big-rigs. The also carry all of the equipment to test your vehicle on the spot..(tint, lift, lowered, stereo, headlights, etc.) I have seen a HP white pickup that had "Vehicle Enforcment", I assume that this is the truck to hide from...:D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by bobdog
What if the axle under you rig came from the factory with out any spring pads at all?

Good question, like I said in the upper post the spring pad have to come OEM. You can not add them (legaly).

Remember, I'm only telling you what I have learned in the past. I do not know All the answers.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
A good friends father was one of those vehichle enforcement guys years ago. He was almost exclusivly concerned with big rigs busses and things like that. He did not know much about 4x4s at all.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by bobdog
A good friends father was one of those vehichle enforcement guys years ago. He was almost exclusivly concerned with big rigs busses and things like that. He did not know much about 4x4s at all.

I'm sure they specialize in different stuff... the one I talked to was VERY familiar with the laws... mudflaps, etc... Luckily I was in my car and all he did was gripe about my tint...

My tint in the rear is factory (at least I thought it was) He actually got out is light device and proved to me it was illigal.:(

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Also keep in mind, that even though this law has been in affect for a couple of years now, it is still new to the UHP.

And "New" has a tendency to scare people.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I guess I am lucky but in the 14 years I have driven my Jeep I have never been harrased. In fact two times I was pulled over, once for rolling thru a stop sign (SLC Sheriff) and once for speeding (UHP) and did not get a ticket because the officer liked the Jeep and wanted to talk about it more than they wanted to write tickets. I also have been written warning tickets twice for being where I shouldn't have been (once Corner Canyon and once Pittsburg Lake) and never a comment about the Jeep.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
My feeling is if you rig looks like it shouldn't be on the road you will receive more attention than one that is clean looking and is making an attempt to follow the law ie mudflaps, fenders etc.

I was pulled over last spring because of my height, but the cop like the fact that I had mud flaps and had extended me flares to cover my tires. He didn't write me a ticket, but he sure did look over my Cruiser.

With the growing number of "Offroad" type rigs on the road these days and the Fact that this sport is growing so much the cops are going to start looking at rigs a little closer.
And quite frankly in seeing some rigs and how there were build,,, I'm kinda glad.