sammi SOA laws

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
While I don't want unsafe rigs on the road either I don't want to be pulled over just so they can look things over. There are thousands of Jeeps on the roads of Utah who's tires are out an inch or two beyond the flare (I don't mean fulltruck width just slightly wider rims on stock width axles, and what is not safer about that). I also would like to point out that some Jeeps never had flares to begin with and tires would slightly stick out right off the lot. How many Jeep owners have a front bumper that is as wide as the trackwidth? As for mud flaps I have only seen three or four Jeeps or Land Cruzers ever complying with this law in my life. What this means to me is that they are not consistantly enforcing this law and it seems to me this could lead to abuses. It seems to me that if you have been pulled over for any of these violations there might be an other reason. With SOA setups the real safety problems I have seen are with steering not spring pads (I am sure there out there though) saying that you cant cut a spring pad off and reweld makes no sense to me. I have recently gone spring over and I am sure glad I went with a chevy front so I am technicaly legal there but there are a lot of rigs out there with sua axles converted to soa and they are just as safe. My rear is a custom unit that came to my door without pads on it so legally I don't know. Overall my Jeep is pretty tame compared to some of the things I see going down the road but if an officer wanted to write some tickets he could. I guess I am lucky I am getting to the age where most officers don't seem to give me a hard time.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Bob I agree with you, I also feel lucky that I have not receive a ticket in the last 7 years that I have been SOA.

The steering is another issue that also border lines what is and what is not legal. I know for a fact that the steering I run is not legal (full on high steer).

More than likely (we would like to think) any one that would weld on their own purches would to do right.

It's all in whether that cop wants to do, what he has the right to do.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by bobdog
I guess I am lucky I am getting to the age where most officers don't seem to give me a hard time.

This also can have alot to do with it.

Some times age is a good thing.;)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Originally posted by Shawn
Bob I agree with you, I also feel lucky that I have not receive a ticket in the last 7 years that I have been SOA.

The steering is another issue that also border lines what is and what is not legal. I know for a fact that the steering I run is not legal (full on high steer).

Are you trying to depress me? What does the law say about Full Hysteer. I put what I know is the best(and safest) steering on and now you tell me it is illegal? Do they really want me to bend up a drag link and run it down low? Where in the code is this little gem?

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
My tint in the rear is factory (at least I thought it was) He actually got out is light device and proved to me it was illigal.:(

I thought that the rear windows could be as dark as you wanted, the front two have to be lighter than 45% and NO tint on the windshield.

Caleb

Originally posted by pokeyYJ

I thought that the rear windows could be as dark as you wanted, the front two have to be lighter than 45% and NO tint on the windshield.

thats what I have been told every time I have gotten my windows tinted...my wifes Jetta back window is Limo black...and so is one of my cherokees

redrock

Originally posted by pokeyYJ

you can but you have to have a mirror on the passenger side thats the only way it legal i have got a ticket for it. just a fix-it ticket but thats what i was told by UHP

rolloverBill

Just put some drugs and a loaded pistol in the glove box and the UHP won't hassle you one bit about the springs. (not responsible for actions) Seriously I agree with Spence, on the perch deal. If it's an everyday driver, and he does spring it over my suggestion is to keep the shackles in the original places for stability reasons. But talk to Glen at rockyroadoutfitters and he won't steer you wrong!!! Hope this helps out alittle. Bill

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I guess I am lucky I am getting to the age where most officers don't seem to give me a hard time.

Do you guys know what you can get away with when you drive a mini-van?:D The cops don't even SEE you. When I drove brit on the street, she was VERY illegal. never got hassled. No flaps, no flares no mirrors,soa, loud. But I drive very different than most punk kids in their YJ, Driving is my living, and everything I do in my personal vehicles reflects on my employment, BTW, I have never had a ticket.:cool:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Jeremy

Do you guys know what you can get away with when you drive a mini-van?:D The cops don't even SEE you. When I drove brit on the street, she was VERY illegal. never got hassled. No flaps, no flares no mirrors,soa, loud. But I drive very different than most punk kids in their YJ, Driving is my living, and everything I do in my personal vehicles reflects on my employment, BTW, I have never had a ticket.:cool:

I hope you knocked on wood after writing that statement. You say that's silly, but a friend of mine (way back when I was in the military) told me one day he had never been in an accident. That very night, four of us had been drinking in the barracks, and they decided to go out for some breakfast (you know, the 2am breakfast). I had decided to go to sleep, and after spending a half hour fighting my friend to let me sleep, they took off.

Apparantly, they got to the restaurant fine, but just as they came off the freeway to get back on post, my friend (the one who said he never had an accident was driving) went off the ramp and rolled the car about 5 times. Two of the three were thrown from the car, and luckily escaped with their lives, and the third was smart enough to be belted in the back seat. He had a heck of a ride, but made it out without a scratch.

I hope you don't get a ticket, but just thought I'd relate that story to you.

Caleb

I have never had a moving violating but I have been in about 9 wrecks (nothing for the last 3 years (so all 9 were by the time I was 19:eek: ) but of the 9 wrecks not a single one was my fault and only got one ticket through out all of them when I got rear ended...needless to say the judge threw it out and ripped into the cop that gave me the ticket...:D:D:D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
always knock on wood. been in three accidents. Best one was when I was driving down 300 west in a freightliner and somebody parked on the side of the road opened their door. ripped it clean off.:D

Caleb

Originally posted by Jeremy
always knock on wood. been in three accidents. Best one was when I was driving down 300 west in a freightliner and somebody parked on the side of the road opened their door. ripped it clean off.:D

that is a good one...be pretty funny to see:D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by supergper

that is a good one...be pretty funny to see:D

It was like one of those hollywood action scenes. the cop tried to say he didn't need to fill out a report because the damage was under 1000 dollars. "UH, ma'am, all you need is a new door and a little buffing and that should only be... like 400 or so." yeah, one totaled subaru legacy, thank you.:eek:

doughboy

Never home enough AGH!
Originally posted by spencurai
get the rocky road spring perches because they wrap around the whole housing and weld to the old perches. they are a lot but they are totally worth it because if not welded properly, regular perches like to dent the housing or even tear out of the housing.

I have first hand experience with the perches tearing off
get the ones from rocky road!!!!!!!!!!!

Caleb

Originally posted by doughboy

I have first hand experience with the perches tearing off
get the ones from rocky road!!!!!!!!!!!

If you put some real axles in your sammys(ies?) you wouldn;t have to worry about the tubes tearing...ie thin tubes...