Isuzu SAS conversion?

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
hey guys, i had a question about the difficulty of performing a sas conversion, and also what are the differences between sas, and straight up solid axle? anything helps. this will be one of the first things i will do to my isuzu when i get a job. thanks.

Will

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Not sure what you're asking. SAS = Solid Axle Swap.

Difficulty varies by the type of setup you want. Do you want leaf springs? 3 link? Radius arms? Are you purchasing parts new or pulling from something in the wrecking yard. What axle are you wanting Dana 44, Dana 60? Ford 9"? some Hybrid?

What is your end goal? are you trying to fit a certain size tire? trying to get more clearance under the Trooper? What trails do you want to run?

There's some pretty serious cost in a solid axle swap. With the resale of a trooper you better be ready to keep it forever because you're never going to get your $ back out.

sixstringsteve

a SAS is very involved for a first time mechanic. If you've done a lot of mechanic/fab work before, it won't be as big of a deal.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
As Spork said, this is a huge and expensive project and will tank the resale value of your Trooper. What is your goal here? Why is this the first thing you intend to do? Troopers are quite capable machines out of the box and with very minor upgrades, can turn into a very respectable trail machine.

sixstringsteve

I doubt you'll need a SAS. With a small OME or Calimini lift (my vote is for OME), it'll go a LOT of places, ride a lot better on the street, and be cheaper in the long-run.

Stephen and Spork are two of the resident isuzu experts on here.

B2-Bomber

whether or not it is worth it for you aside: it will take an inexperienced guy weeks. if you are entertaining the idea of doing it, I suggest that you wait until winter, so your rig is isn't sitting torn apart during this awesome wheeling season. wheeling without a solid axle is better than no wheeling at all

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I had a jeep commander with OME springs and Bilstien shocks. It was pretty good.

I used OME springs a Bilstien shocks on my Range Rover and like them a lot as well.

I always get the heavy duty springs. They ride really well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
hey guys sorry for the late in coming reply, but yes i am home from the OPM (only perfect mission), and yes i do plan on keeping the trooper for many years to come. and i am looking at being able to do most trails with it, and i am soon to have a job (fingers crossed) with winco. and as for the reason it being the first, or one of the first, i have no idea. kinda dumb, but i honestly dont know. other than the fact that i have a fetish with solid axles....... but thats besides the point. and in regards to the type of suspension, i was thinking 4 link, or coil over. i have heard nothing but good about those two types of suspension. so my reasons are lame, but this is something that i do eventually want to do, if i dont do my other project i have been stewing on for the past 6 months (i will post pics of that later).

ok, thanks for the help guys.

Will Adams