Isuzu SAS conversion?

kobyhud

Lurker
I wouldn't SAS if I could start over. I would buy one of these fancy YJs or TJs I have seen posted on RME and call it quits. Let someone else spend the time and money on upgrades then buy it from them :).

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Seriously, what's your problem with Jeeps and Jeep owners? You're getting annoying to say the least, and burning a lot of bridges.

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
these recent replies are pretty funny tob read. thats just me though. but any way, i just got back from the run that Steve put on out at rattle snakes, and i have decided to scrap the SAS conversion, and just go with a 3-4 inch lift, with 35-40 inch all terrains. oh, and steel tube bumpers, rockers, and a winch on the front. thanks for all the input though.

THSDragoon

oh by the way BCGPER, love jeeps. they look freaking sick!! i just cant afford to replace the car my parents gave me. so dont get me wrong, i LOVE the isuzu, but if i could, i would have a 4 door wrangler, with a 6 inch lift all set up for major crawling as my main rig. but i cant, so i roll with what i have (and make absurd plans with it:p)

blznnp

these recent replies are pretty funny tob read. thats just me though. but any way, i just got back from the run that Steve put on out at rattle snakes, and i have decided to scrap the SAS conversion, and just go with a 3-4 inch lift, with 35-40 inch all terrains. oh, and steel tube bumpers, rockers, and a winch on the front. thanks for all the input though.
So I take it you enjoyed watching and seeing Steve's rig? Steve definitely knows how stuff a tire with small lift.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
IFS isn't the worst thing in the world but I think 35's would be the upper limit of what I would put on the stock drivetrain on your rig. You really don't need anything bigger than a 35" tire to be able to go out and run most of the moderate and even some more difficult trails in Utah.

THSDragoon

Thanks, it was a fun run well have to do it again some time. I might even have time then to run constrictor. And yes, I did like Steve's rig. So how much lift would be enough for 33's? Just 3-4"? And what kind of lockers would be the recommended type to put on? Arb, elockers, manual, etc.? And what is the difficulty of DIY (do it yourself) for that kind of project? In regards to transportation, I have my bike or my long board to ride, so that's no issue for me. I'm just wondering if I would have to get specialized tools for it.

THSDragoon

Oh before I forget, I'm assuming that it would be a good idea to up grade my drive lines to more beefy components. So where would I go for those parts?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Thanks, it was a fun run well have to do it again some time. I might even have time then to run constrictor. And yes, I did like Steve's rig. So how much lift would be enough for 33's? Just 3-4"? And what kind of lockers would be the recommended type to put on? Arb, elockers, manual, etc.? And what is the difficulty of DIY (do it yourself) for that kind of project? In regards to transportation, I have my bike or my long board to ride, so that's no issue for me. I'm just wondering if I would have to get specialized tools for it.

I haven't been wheeling for near as long as most of the other guys on this board, so take this for what it's worth, but I think those are the sort of questions that if you have to ask, you're not ready to be doing those mods anyway. You could go balls out and build yourself a super-truck straight out of the gate, but you wouldn't get the most out of it, and I think your mods would turn into crutches if you know what I mean.

I think if you're newish, you take your stock truck out and flog it for all it's worth. Get some solid AT tires maybe a size up from stock, rock sliders to protect your panels, and go learn to wring everything you can out of the truck. Worry about mods once you've gone everywhere local that truck can possibly go.

That's my two cents, anyway. Welcome back! :)