SBC powered Rubicon

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Started this last weekend...

Donor: 08 GMC Sierra 4x4, 6 months old and less than 5k miles - 5.3L and 4L60E
Recipient: 04 Jeep Rubicon

So last weekend I started out by inspecting the donor parts and then pulling the tranny apart to replace the output shaft with one that will work withe the Rubicon transfer case that I will be keeping - at this point, this and the sticker on the hood are all that are left of the 'Rubicon' :-\

Monday I sent the wiring harness off to Speartech to get reworked. I was goign to do it myself, but there were several busted connectors and cut wires from the accident - it was hit hard in the front right corner.

Yesterday I pulled everything out so I had basically empty frame rails.

Today I notched the frame rail to clear the AC compressor and clearanced the fire wall. After pulling/putting the engine several times, I gave up early and will probably work on it some tomorrow.....

The notch turned out really well for not knowing what I was doing. I was scared? that I'd mess it up, but I'm actually impressed at how it turned out. If I do another, I'll definately know a better way.

Since the hoses come out of the top/side of the compressor, I trimmed the frame rail at an angle rather than a box. Nothing is really square but the vertical cuts. The cut starts at 5" wide and narrows to 3". I took a piece of 1/2" plate about 10" long and trimmed it to follow the curves of the frame rail and slid it in place. It's on an angle, because the lower part of the frame rail is wider than the top - since I only need to clear the compressor and hoses. But then I notched the last inch on both sides and hammered them over to touch the plate. Since it wasn't square, I had large gaps to fill. So I took some 3/8" solid bar that I had laying about and welded it up. Since all of my welds were in gaps, I was really able to make everything clean and flowing.

The next one I do I will do a bit different. I will leave the inside of the rail in tact, for the most part and just cut the top and bottom of the rail out. That way when I weld in the plate and hammer over the end pieces, I will have a lot of material left and not need to weld something in place to fill the gaps. Also, I think doing it this way would make it even cleaner and dare I say structural?

Anyway, not much left to do before the motor/trans/tcase are home. Tomorrow? I'll pull the motor again and weld everything up and paint it. Then I can put the motor/trans back in place and work on the crossmember. For now, I'll keep the RE crossmember that I have - just so I don't have to mess with relocating control arms. But to do so, I need to pick up 3.75" from the crossmember to the bottom of the trans. The mount that I have takes up 1.25". So I'll take some 2" square that I have and be .5" too short for now.

Pictures will come later. I tried to download them, but for some reason the camera won't connect? I still need to take pictures of the frame rails/mounts anyway....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Thanks!

Got the bracketry/notch finished up and painted today. Motor is now sitting in it's new home. I do need to still figure out a trans mount, though. I got the AA trans mount, but I'm not sure that I'll go with it. I'm going to look into a stock GM mount instead...

...I also started on the Jeep's wiring nest today....:eek::ugh:

Here's some pics...

First is the difference between the OEM and TCI sun shell. Look at the wall thickness on the middle gear.

Then just a few various pics of the mounts, the motor in it's home and the clearance on the AC compressor.

If you notice, the engine sits about the same distance forward as the 4.0 did - that's because the firewall is notched so the 4.0 sits way back and the V8 can't because it is VERY close on the sides. I measured from the TC mounting surface to the furthest forward point on both engines and the V8 is about 5" shorter, even though the 4l60e is about 2" longer than the NV3550. If you were to change out water pumps on the V8 you could make it even shorter. To the front of the crank pulley is 7" shorter than the 4.0/NV3550 combo.

This motor still has the truck intake manifold on it, so it sits about 4" higher than if it had the car manifold on it. Taller means longer runners, which means I should see a higher amount of torque in the lower RPM's than with the car manifold. Also, I couldn't see spending money on something that is functional right now :D

Attachments

• engine swap 012609 011.jpg
    engine swap 012609 011.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 18
  • engine swap 012609 022.jpg
    engine swap 012609 022.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 23
  • engine swap 012609 023.jpg
    engine swap 012609 023.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 25
  • engine swap 012609 025.jpg
    engine swap 012609 025.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 24
  • engine swap 012609 026.jpg
    engine swap 012609 026.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 34
  • engine swap 012609 027.jpg
    engine swap 012609 027.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 25
  • engine swap 012609 029.jpg
    engine swap 012609 029.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 29

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Oh, I also received all of my intake tubing Friday :D 4" :eek: AirFlow something here in Spokane ended up shipping them to me. Cheapest/best I could find. If your curious, I'll find the invoice and get the name... Something like store.airflo.com?

jsudar

I'm glad to see you tackled the tranny yourself. Good going on replacing the sun shell. Those do seem to fail quite often, or at least crack.

After seeing all these late model SBC's going in, I am starting to feel the need to replace my TBI 350.

Good work. It's definitely looking like it'll be lots more fun now.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Thanks guys! I'm really liking the idea of having this 5.3 in there and doubt I'll still have it listed for sale after I'm done. Who knows though, because the main gripe is the family room and that will still be the same. Maybe more tolerable with the V8 power, though :D

At this point I'm glad I did the trans myself - we'll see if it still operates :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Just realized the only thing left on this thing that makes it a Rubicon is the transfer case and stickers on the hood :eek: Everything else is gone...:D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good to see a build thread Wayne, I think you'll love that 5.3 under the hood. That is going to end up the TJ Rubicon that Jeep should have built!

I sometimes wish I would have build mine with a 4L60e, gone with hydro-assist and tried to make it more of a driver, but oh well!!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Good to see a build thread Wayne, I think you'll love that 5.3 under the hood. That is going to end up the TJ Rubicon that Jeep should have built!

I sometimes wish I would have build mine with a 4L60e, gone with hydro-assist and tried to make it more of a driver, but oh well!!

I think you're right, I think I'm really going to like it. At this point, I'm glad I went with the 4l60e over the 700r4 - I really like the adjustability of the trans through the PCM. I say right now, because I have no idea what it will be like on the trail or if it will handle all that abuse.