Security Cameras

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I need some recommendations for one or two at my house. Last night I remembered to take everything out of the Jeep and lock up the truck and the car. I managed to forget about my zune in the Jeep. This is the third theft between my house and my neighbors house in as many weeks and there have been a few more reported.

I blame myself for it but it still sucks.

I need something small that these punk kids won't see and will work well at night. Obviously the police won't do anything since there is really nothing they can do at this point.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Get a camera with IR and motion detection so it doesn't have to constantly record.

What about those big game cameras? The ones you put out on trees that flash in IR and take a photo of deer or other animals? No idea how expensive they are.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I want to know why you don't want them to see it? I would rather deter the punks from stealing more of my stuff than to try to get a picture of them in the hopes that the police will do anything other than just file a report as it is a petty theft.. Why not have a motion detector camera with a flash that is obvious? Sound alarm? sleep in your jeep with a shotgun for a few nights? Rig up something that when the door is opened ect that it blasts an airhorn and a some nice pepper spray at them?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I want pictures of them stealing, since they keep coming back my guess is they are some kids around the neighborhood. There are plenty of things around my house that a "grown up" thief would steal but they don't take things that I would take if I were them.

I'll get pictures of them and post them up everywhere if I have to.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I have messed with and still have cameras up around my house. From my experience it is very difficult to get a photo/video that is quality enough to be useful. My front yard cameras can see a light or a dark car - sometimes... Not a chance of getting a true color or a make and model of a car driving by at night. I have recorded images of heads and bodies, but nothing that I could use in "prove" anything.

At my last job I had indoor cameras set up that caused a few people their jobs when they were caught stealing. Inside the work place led to a more limited number of people and better lighting and motion settings.

You may do well with a game camera if you have a place in your yard like between a garage and a fence that foot traffic could be caught between, but it will be impossible to get a photo of the guy throwing egg at your house in the middle of the night.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
The new IP class cameras are high quality and will catch a face or a license plate at about 50 ft... they are expensive but worth every dime to me... Mcdonalds has them at all their drive ins looking down so that they take a pic of you when you order something... then when you get to the window they can look at the pic and repeat your order back to you...

I do alot of camera work installs and there are plenty of cameras that you could get... just depends on how much money you want to spend...

I agree that you should put signs up and have the cameras in plain site and deter the crime instead of trying to get someone's picture... the reason being is that the police do not have facial recognition software to check all the databases that have a pic in them.... so unless someone knows the person its worthless to them...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I love the idea of posting the picture you get (if it's any good) all around the neighborhood, if you don't already know who it is. I can just imagine the parent of that kid freaking out!

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I have had the thought about putting some of those motion detector chime alarms around my house (have not done this yet). They would sound off to let you know there is motion inside your car, then you could go get them. If you could catch them in the act then hold them 'till the police got there, the police might have more to do than just "file a report, and increase patrol in the area".

The ones I am thinking about can be had for around $12 each with coupon (look for HF adds in Sunday papers).

Here is a link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/general-merch/security/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

They don't take pictures, but if you can jump from bed and fly out the door (providing you can come to your senses in time), you may just be able to get your hands on one of them, or at least get a good look at them. Then you will know who to look for in the daylight hours. At least you will then know some of the kids (or adults) in the neighborhood who did NOT do it.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
My dad uses his game cameras around his house in the off season and they work very well. He has had two arrests in a year and a half and the traffic going through is yard has dropped to nearly nothing.