Shade sails

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
First of all... Don't judge me. If it looks ugly, keep it to yourself. The goats and geese behind me don't care what it looks like.. and the couple people who can see it love me know matter what.

I got these sails set up to block the sun from scorching my house and hot tub. It was an unbelievably huge difference in the temps in the house, the usefulness of the patio, and the enjoyment of the hot tub.
The far right sail is pointed lower to cast more shade, but mostly to keep the side yard clear so I can drive around the house. Otherwise, a third post would be awesome.

They lasted a couple weeks before the eyelet on the far right pulled out in a windstorm. I resecured it and we were good to go. A few days later the far left upper eyelet ripped out in another big storm. They are 3/8 lag bolts that I predrilled for and ran into 2x4's in the trusses.
The 2 big sails are 20x20 and 20x16. The 10x10 has not had a problem at all.

You can see in photo 3 and 4 the lag bolt for one, and the ripped out other.

I am in love with the sails and want them up BAD. But I need some help deciding what I need to make for it to be strong enough and not damage the house.
My thought is to build a bracket that would secure between two trusses inside the soffit. Bolt the bracket to a truss on either side, and have a hook for the sails in the middle. I don't want to rip the trusses apart and cause damage to the roof though... Thoughts?
I could even span 3 trusses with a bracket if that's better.

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6460.jpg

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think I would start with the two posts you have and build like a covered deck back towards the house, except skip the covered part and hang the sail there instead. But use the structure to brace the posts against eachother, and then build all the bracing/bracketry you need into the structure and don't attach the sails to the house itself at all.

I hope that makes sense.

jeeper

I think I would start with the two posts you have and build like a covered deck back towards the house, except skip the covered part and hang the sail there instead. But use the structure to brace the posts against eachother, and then build all the bracing/bracketry you need into the structure and don't attach the sails to the house itself at all.

I hope that makes sense.
We've talked about running some tall (roof is 18') steel posts up next to the house, but we would have to cut through the concrete patio in a couple places... but it's doable.

But I don't know what is strong enough and what's not.
I'd buy THIS PIPE but will it hold at 18' above ground?

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
We've talked about running some tall (roof is 18') steel posts up next to the house, but we would have to cut through the concrete patio in a couple places... but it's doable.

I think you'd want something significantly larger in diameter than 2 3/8" for an 18' tall free-standing post. It could work I suppose if you also anchored the pipe to the house in several spots. But in that case, I'd think it's more effective to just build a steel mounting bracket that mounts under the eave and spans across several trusses.

I’ve got 4 very large shades up at my house… I had 4x4 posts up that broke last year, replaced with 7” round cedar that have been good. Where I attached to the house through the soffit into trusses I just used some big deck screws through an anchor Like this, but from Home Depot
Biggest thing I found is to keep it tight, super tight. We get pretty windy out here, but with them really tight they can’t flap much and rip anything out. I use ratchet straps to crank it down then mount with chain & quick links. I’ll grab some pics after work.

Pike2350

Could you use angle iron lagged in to the fascia behind the gutter? I think the biggest thing is to add some sort of spring between the lag and the sail to allow a lot of the movement to be absorb....similar to a trampoline.

The_Lobbster

Those are sweet! Would love to have a couple of those for my backyard.

Sorry I can't suggest anything useful, just want to say they're cool.

Edit: Did a little more reading of your original post. If I did it, I would pull down the soffit in the areas you're looking to mount to, screw up a 3/16" or 1/4" plate that spreads at least two trusses, with either a threaded hole for the eyelet, or welded, then put the soffit back up.

jeeper

Those are sweet! Would love to have a couple of those for my backyard.

Sorry I can't suggest anything useful, just want to say they're cool.

Edit: Did a little more reading of your original post. If I did it, I would pull down the soffit in the areas you're looking to mount to, screw up a 3/16" or 1/4" plate that spreads at least two trusses, with either a threaded hole for the eyelet, or welded, then put the soffit back up.

This is exactly what I was thinking. You just explained it way better.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Could you use angle iron lagged in to the fascia behind the gutter? I think the biggest thing is to add some sort of spring between the lag and the sail to allow a lot of the movement to be absorb....similar to a trampoline.
I have a small 12x12 over my deck that has lived for 5+ years. Everything I read said keeping them tight was critical. James experience and mine reaffirm that.
If you look at shade sails in commercial applications, they are usually hung with cable to eliminate any slack and keep the sail taut.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Keeping them tight will keep them from developing more energy when they flap/whip.

For the poles, you could weld a plate on the end and bolt them to the concrete pad. Smaller diameter pipe will be more prone to flex at the length you’re talking.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a small 12x12 over my deck that has lived for 5+ years. Everything I read said keeping them tight was critical. James experience and mine reaffirm that.
If you look at shade sails in commercial applications, they are usually hung with cable to eliminate any slack and keep the sail taut.
I was going to suggest getting some sewing going, to give the sails a good "edge" to pull hard. Cable, maybe webbing, whatever.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I was going to suggest getting some sewing going, to give the sails a good "edge" to pull hard. Cable, maybe webbing, whatever.
I like cable for this. Leave a gap in about the middle of the hem to adjust a turnbuckle and that'd be sweet.

First, on your initial comment… I feel the same way, like all my neighbors are judging me… they’ve all got big $40k+ awnings. Oh well, they can eat 💩 if they don’t like my sails!
IMG_6576.jpegIMG_6574.jpegIMG_6573.jpegIMG_6572.jpegIMG_6571.jpeg

I’ve got lag eye bolts and the screw on anchors. Also I’ve had a few 1/4” Amazon quick links pull apart in big wind storms (or when it random snows like a couple weeks ago). I’ve been replacing with 1/4” d-shackles.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Those are awesome @jeepin4x4james . I could have really used some of these shades at my last house. The back faced directly south and the back deck was basically unusable because there wasn't any shade. I planted trees but they didn't have the time to grow.

comingdown

No, use 4” or bigger, 1/8” wall minimum. And where you set it in concrete, weld on some angle iron to help hold it securely in place. Also lean it away from the pulling force by a couple degrees. This was the advice from my structural engineer brother.

comingdown

I’m using 5” round pipe for a shade sail over our playground. And using 5” square for the shade sail over the shallow end of our pool. Everything is capped, fully welded and epoxy painted so it should not rust for a long long time.

jeeper

I got this taken care of today. No way I was doing it all from a ladder. So I rented a lift. It made everything a breeze.
I ended up going for the H style bracing between 2 trusses. Made it from 2” angle iron.
Like an idiot I didn’t actually take any pictures of the braces I built, but I was very happy with them, and hung my fat self from each one for a test.

Both of the 2 bolts that came out did bust the 2x4 from the side load.

Very happy again with them up. It really is unbelievable how much of a difference it makes.

IMG_6546.jpeg

IMG_9389.jpeg

IMG_6547.jpeg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I got this taken care of today. No way I was doing it all from a ladder. So I rented a lift. It made everything a breeze.
I ended up going for the H style bracing between 2 trusses. Made it from 2” angle iron.
Like an idiot I didn’t actually take any pictures of the braces I built, but I was very happy with them, and hung my fat self from each one for a test.

Both of the 2 bolts that came out did bust the 2x4 from the side load.

Very happy again with them up. It really is unbelievable how much of a difference it makes.

View attachment 173090

View attachment 173091

View attachment 173092

Cool hoist thingy! Is that $200-300 for the day or so? I may want that when I install some security cameras and some rain gutter screens? (not a fan of ladders---I've fallen off too many haystacks and such?)