Shop build - metal or wood?

1995zj

I'm addicted
So I'm going to be building a shop shortly and I can't decide which route to go. Shop plans are 20x30 with 12' walls. Door will be 16x10. With the help of friends and family I will be doing everything but the concrete work. (Anyone on here do concrete and want to give me a bid?)

Right now I'm not sure whether I should do a metal building or a wood frame. I feel the wood frame would be stronger, can match the house siding, and ultimately looks better IMO. However, the metal building goes up much faster, is cheaper, and can still match the house color-scheme for the most part.

So far I've got two quote for materials.

VersaTube metal buildings wants $7,500 delivered. That includes materials and insulation, but I'll have to source the garage door, man door, and windows. So add in another $1500 for that.

Sutherlands quoted $10,750 for everything (nails, siding, shingles, windows, doors etc.) including tax (except insulation, gotta reprice that). That's 2x6 wall framing too. Figure insulation will bump the price by about $1000.

I plan to put a two post lift in the garage as well.

Which route would you go and why? Other manufacture recommendations welcome too.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I went through the same decision-making process a couple years back--ended up doing wood framing. The primary deciding factors for me:

With the stick-frame building the (higher) costs would be spread out over a few months, versus having to come up with basically all the cash at once for steel.
Having everything match the house would look better in a residential area, therefore hopefully not annoy my neighbors as much. :)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
VersaTube metal buildings wants $7,500 delivered. That includes materials and insulation, but I'll have to source the garage door, man door, and windows.

Wow, that's much less than I thought it would be. Post up what you get for quotes on the pad, if you don't mind.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Being that close in price I would go wood. Wood can be finished on the interior easier if you ever wanted. It also makes it easier for attaching any shelves, signs, etc you want in there.

1995zj

I'm addicted
I went through the same decision-making process a couple years back--ended up doing wood framing. The primary deciding factors for me:

With the stick-frame building the (higher) costs would be spread out over a few months, versus having to come up with basically all the cash at once for steel.
Having everything match the house would look better in a residential area, therefore hopefully not annoy my neighbors as much. :)

Very true. How many skylights did you end up doing? I'm thinking I'll do 4 of them.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
For mine, I couldn't do a monolithic pad--had to do footings/foundation and a floor. The concrete work alone cost me somewhere between $7K and $8K I think. Does the "kit" include exterior finishing stuff? (siding or whatever)

Either way, interior finishing adds up quickly too....natural gas lines, heater, insulation, compressed air lines, electrical box/wiring/plugs, insulation, sheetrock, paint.....

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I will be doing a pole barn when I do mine this next spring

Houndoc on here went with elephant barns, it is essentialy a steel framed building but from the outside it looks like every other pole barn or other structure with steel siding. They are very cost effective

rholbrook

Do metal and just finish the front in wood so that you can make the front match your house. You could easily finish with a combination of brick and stucco or siding to keep the neighbors happy

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
School me on this. Seems like once you insulate and finish the walls you'd have spent more than just doing a prefab metal building from the start?

Nice thing about a pole barn is you dont need footings wich saves you tons of cash on concrete all you need is the concrete slab for a 30x40 pole barn with concrete you can be into it under 15k depending on who you source it through.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Nice thing about a pole barn is you dont need footings wich saves you tons of cash on concrete all you need is the concrete slab for a 30x40 pole barn with concrete you can be into it under 15k depending on who you source it through.

You don't put the poles into footings?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Nope, In fact the concrete is often the last step in finishing it up. They will erect the building then come in and pour the slab

I know the slab is last, but what keeps the poles solid? Even my fence posts are set in concrete--I guarantee the pole barn doesn't just sink the poles into dirt and call it good.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I know the slab is last, but what keeps the poles solid? Even my fence posts are set in concrete--I guarantee the pole barn doesn't just sink the poles into dirt and call it good.

They usually set them about 40" down below the surface into about a foot of concrete then just back fill it with dirt, very similar to a fence post

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Fwiw my steel building (33' x 36') was a monolithic pour with included steel footings. I've not found the steel limiting on any occasion and in fact enjoy the longevity of the finish. Plus they do a pretty good job at surving a fire :eek: