Shop build - metal or wood?

1995zj

I'm addicted
Fwiw my steel building (33' x 36') was a monolithic pour with included steel footings. I've not found the steel limiting on any occasion and in fact enjoy the longevity of the finish. Plus they do a pretty good job at surving a fire :eek:

I was wondering what your opinion was haha. So what brand did you go with? Also, I don't recall if you put up your own or had it done?

BoostedRNR

I had this pole barn built last year

Really can't wait to get a floor poured and get it useable. I know I could've had a pole barn built cheaper, but after reading a ton of reviews and doing some research, I went with Cleary. Not one thing to complain about and the quality is amazing.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I was wondering what your opinion was haha. So what brand did you go with? Also, I don't recall if you put up your own or had it done?

It was built and erected locally by Erectors West (owners son is a major 4x4 fab guru). They assembled my buddies kit steel building and I initially called them to get a suggestion on brands. I told him my size and he said "I can just make that".

dungbeetle

I used a different technique for my shop. I built the roof on the ground... frame and sheeting, and then I picked one side and welded a wall, then the other side. Finally, I welded a crosshatch of rectangular steel for a floor, and filled it full of cement. The building department gave me some crap about not having a foundation, but I got an engineer to sign off on it.
1898704_976410845718573_6850083452602887708_o.jpg

10679905_976411099051881_3541678635207220267_o.jpg

10548959_976411522385172_1618990835476265376_o.jpg

10636906_976411955718462_6355811356807439424_o.jpg

10453443_976412605718397_8463729031039627527_n.jpg

The building is 30 by 48 roughly 1500 square feet. Cost me about 4000 bucks in 2001.

dungbeetle

I have actually done 8 of these 24 foot building sections now. The last one I did using my transmission jack instead of the tractor, but the walls were only eight feet on that one instead of ten feet. I finished the whole section in 3 days with the help of my Mexican gardener.

16726_976466162379708_2070942594850852478_n.jpg

BoostedRNR

How much did that one cost you boosted??? Thats a decent sized shop! How big??

It's a 30x50, cost about 22k without the pad. I did have a bunch of upgrades done that raised the cost a good amount. This was built last year and I still haven't been able to pour my pad. Looks like it will be a massive storage area for all my junk during this winter too:(

BoostedRNR

Yea, I want my electricity ran first and figure out how I want it poured for the lift. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. The ground that is sitting on is pretty soft because of the high water table and I'm wondering if I should pour thicker because of it.

AaronPaige

Watching this tread and wondering all the same things I'm about done with the buying process of a new to me home that has very little room to work in but a nice amount of room for a shop, I prob won't get started building tell spring (unless my current home sells quick) but other than the metal vs wood debate, what cool ideas do you have? I'm considering heated floors, lights in the floor, and a few points in the floor and ceiling to pull/lift from... What else would you want built in?

amp713

Man i want a big shop bad! Ive got my garage but my hot rod is in there and that takes it all up! The barn is good for parking but not much else..... Maybe i should pour a pad in the barn and then build over it later..... HMMM.....

Steel frames are good if you are using it for extremely wide area but for shorter area wood frames are good. There are many advantages of wood frame over steel like it is quite easier and less expensive to design and install wood frame, they are also easier to insulate.
more info

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd argue the steel building is easier to insulate. They literally blanket it between the sheeting and the steel. I didn't assemble mine so I wasn't worried about the time it would take. That said it took them well under a week start to finish.

1995zj

I'm addicted
I'd argue the steel building is easier to insulate. They literally blanket it between the sheeting and the steel. I didn't assemble mine so I wasn't worried about the time it would take. That said it took them well under a week start to finish.

Speaking of...I just spoke with the contact you gave me. Wow...excellent pricing. About as cheap as me having to build it myself. I'll most likely be going through him in the next month. Thanks again for that.

I got a quote for a monolithic poured slab today. 20'6" x 30'6". 4" slab, 16" thick footings 12" wide around the entire building, 5" in the area the lift will go, and with rebar reinforced footings. Them to come in and do everything was ~$4000. So I should be able to pull this off for under $15k with the lift. Quite happy with that.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Kurt,
sounds like you rebuilt using the existing steel framing.
Were there any structural concerns after the fire?
I know that the asbestos looking flocked stuff on structural steel is to protect it from the heat and maintain structure.
Maybe if it doesn't fall, mild steel is OK after a fire.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt,
sounds like you rebuilt using the existing steel framing.
Was there any structural concerns after the fire?
I know that the asbestos looking flocked stuff on structural steel is to protect it from the heat and maintain structure.
Maybe if it doesn't fall, mild steel is OK after a fire.

Yup, re-used 100% of the structural steel and ~75% of the sheeting. The insulation took the brunt of the damage and had to be completely replaced. Engineers and county inspectors had zero issues with the steel. We wire brushed and pressure washed it all, sprayed new paint and it's better than new. Zero smell or issues 2 years later.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
awesome...

I think for things like office buildings it's more about giving the ccupants time to get out.