Shop up near Ogden or Brigham for lift kit install…

NYCEGUY01

I’m feeling lazy and my garage currently has 2 trucks on jack stands already…

I drug home a decent little 78 K10 shortbed stepside. It came with a brand new set of 4 springs and full lift from Superlift.
I’m not wanting to do it in my driveway.
Anyone got a hookup on someone I can just pay to do the install ?
It has all new u-bolts, shocks, springs etc…. May still need new spring bolts if something needs cut but it’s an AZ truck so we may get lucky…

NYCEGUY01

I'm not in a big rush.
I'll start deciding on wheels and tires.
Shoot me a PM and we can coordinate etc...

I also still need to go through all the boxes to make sure everything is there. It all looks like it's still sealed up but who knows.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I appreciate everyone's kind comments.

NYCEGUY01, I'll shoot you a PM when I am ready and we can coordinate. I have a soft spot for those old 70's GM trucks as that is what I cut my teeth on.

NYCEGUY01

It's got the 1978 standard 350, 465,205,12 bolt, and dana 44. I'm not even sure what gears are in it at the moment. I'm sure once I put on the 35's I'll find out it has 3.08's. Lol
I just wanted an one to drive around town. It's basically stock with headers and an intake/carb.

I need to find a set of old style 15x10 mags for it though. Just gonna do the 6" lift and a set of 35's. Maybe some KC lights from the garage shelf...lol.

My Blazer is a hotrod and I have an 85 shorty 2wd with an LS and 4l60 already. I always wanted a stepside 4x4 so this will just be another weekend cruiser.

NYCEGUY01

Well…. Ordered wheels and bought some tires today and took it for a decent drive..
US Mags 15x10 slot mags and 35” Generals. They seem like the perfect wheel for this old truck..
It’s Pretty sluggish even on the 32’s. Pretty sure it has the dreaded 3.08’s…lol
It’s probably gonna need a gear swap unless someone has a set of 1/2 ton axles around with 4.10’s already in them…
I went through all the lift stuff and I think it’s all good to go, it has those stupid brackets to lower the brake lines instead of stainless extended lines so I ordered a set of those today as well…
This thing Is already escalating quickly…

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Well…. Ordered wheels and bought some tires today and took it for a decent drive..
US Mags 15x10 slot mags and 35” Generals. They seem like the perfect wheel for this old truck..
It’s Pretty sluggish even on the 32’s. Pretty sure it has the dreaded 3.08’s…lol
It’s probably gonna need a gear swap unless someone has a set of 1/2 ton axles around with 4.10’s already in them…
I went through all the lift stuff and I think it’s all good to go, it has those stupid brackets to lower the brake lines instead of stainless extended lines so I ordered a set of those today as well…
This thing Is already escalating quickly…

Sounds like a nice tire/wheel combo. Also, did the suspension kit come with either a dropped pitman arm or a raised steering arm that goes at the knuckle? If not, I would suggest one of those, preferably the raised bracket at the knuckle.

Good call on the stainless braided lines as well as the OEM rubber lines may be getting a bit rotted or deteriorating inside plus I would suggest a good brake fluid flush at the same time.

Very good chance that the gearing is the 3.08:1 ratio at it was quite common in that vintage. My 1979 had the 3.08 also. When I built my 1984 with a big block I ran 4.56 gearing. The 4.56 gearing with 35" tires were a good combination put the drivetrain back to approx. what a factory 3.73:1 gearing would run like which seemed line a nice balance for off-road and returned some decent RPM while cruising at highway speeds without over-revving.

If you do need some gears swapped, I know a guy that can do that too....... ;)

Mike

NYCEGUY01

It has the steering arm and all the hardware etc.

It will need gears for sure. Just been going back and fourth on 4.10 vs 4.56. I run 4.56 in my blazer but it has a 4l80. I tend to drive it at much higher speeds though.

I've got 4.10 and 4.56 and install kits all sitting in my summit cart. Just need to decide I guess.

I've been amazed how much difference fluid and new lines can actually make in these old ones some times. I bought a Motiv pressure bleeder a few years ago and once you have the adapters you need it makes doing a full flush super easy.

NYCEGUY01

Well... this one is getting out of hand quickly.....
Gears, install kits, and diff covers, and fluid etc... are all on the way from Summit. 4.56's it is....
Bilsteins , front and rear shackles, New hardware, and some other upgrades from ORD are all ordered as well.
Figured if its already apart may as well put decent parts back on and those cheapo Superlift shocks looked cheesy.l...

After all this is done I have to fix the disaster of a stereo and speaker install it has in it but I have a plan for the interior already....

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
There could be an argument for either 4.1 or 4.56 ratios. The manual 465 has a deeper low end gear ratio that could make a 4.10 a better choice but also a 1:1 final drive ratio so it can't really be compared to an overdrive transmission like the 700R4 so you will need to figure out where you want your cruising RPM to be. My setup was with an auto transmission and first gear was not as deep as your first and second gears on your 465 manual trans.

You will more than likely be around 2600 RPM at 65 MPH with the 4.10 gear ration and closer to 3k RPM with the 4.56 so you will want to decide where you're happy with the RPM. If staying with the somewhat low HP original 350 cid engine the RPM will help but if you choose to go with something putting out a bit more power they may pull the 4.10's perfectly and keep the RPM's a few hundred RPM lower.

Just things to consider as there really isn't one correct answer, mostly depends on desired outcome.

Mike

NYCEGUY01

That's why I decided on the deeper 4.56. I didnt really like the idea of 3k rpm at 70 but it will drive around better and pull the big heavy tires way better with the small block. I also dont think I'll be making many road trips in this one. I can always pull 37's later if I want or even just add an overdrive trans if I decide to.

I drove my Blazer around quite a bit before the 4l80 with 4.56 and a th400 and it was spinning pretty good but liveable for what I was doing. I mostly did the 4l80 in that one for more top speed out at Knolls and up at Jackpot.

I'll still take this one out every once in a while off road. The lower gears will make that better as well. It's not as nice as it looks in the pics. If it was super nice and original I'd leave it alone and not even lift it. It's a super nice 100' truck. Up close it's just decent. I would have killed for it in high school though. Lol