GMC / Chevy show me your front axles

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Soooo... Instead of a million people posting pictures of their front axles, in the hopes that one of them matches yours, why don't you post a picture of your front axle, and it will be instantly identified. I promise.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Does this help? :D

Here's an idea, I think what you're trying to ask is.

I'm working on getting the steering arm off an 86 half ton Chevy. Although many wise people here have told me how to do it, I'm dead set on not listening to them, and just replacing the axle (which will come with a steering arm that I'll have to remove anyway). Which axle do I have?

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You have no idea how long it took me to restore those blue plastic POS either. It was worth it, plastic is cooler than Warn anyday.. ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Ok.. but you do know that it's a much, much bigger pain in the ass to chain a balljoint knuckle than it is to just beat the arm harder, right? You have to remove the hub, the spindle, the axleshaft, both balljoint nuts, and still separate the joints...

Everyone is telling you to swing harder, and yet? Of course, you could post a pic of this impossible steering arm,...

No sweat off my back though LOL

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
No, you didn't. They have told you to heat and beat it, and that works 9 times out of 10. I told you if that didn't work, to cut it up with a cut off wheel peice by peice. Had you done either of these it would be off.

I basicly did everything what others told me to do on the steering arm and no success at it so I'm going to replace the steering knuckle

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Ball joint knuckles are a royal pain I would HIGHLY recommend figuring out how to remove that arm without pulling the knuckle :ugh: If you have not changed a knuckle out before plan on two new ball joints and likely a tie rod end at minimum.

For the record GM 10bolt... That what you likely have for a front axle.

blackburban

2000 Dodge Durango SLT
I found out what type it is its a dana 60 but will start working on the steering arm to see if I can get it off.with out damageing the lock washers cause I don't have extras

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Are there three studs holding the steering arm on, or four? If there's 3, it's not a Dana 60.